PDA

View Full Version : First jump question...

skydvr18
October 9th, 2001, 07:02 AM
I'm making my first BASE jump from the Perrine in a couple of weeks. I've been told that a go and throw with a 42" pc is okay. No slider, BASE specific gear. Just wanted some feedback. Also, any other tips for jumping the Perrine? Thanks!!

Blue Skies,
Josh

October 9th, 2001, 10:52 AM
where is your instructor mentor meantime? Best to have an advisor, but certainly around the end of the month therell be a bunch of people there for advice on rigging, packing, exits, etc. Have you performed the line release mod on your equipment? Base specific pack job? What is your canopy flying, skydiving experience, whats the "specific gear" that your using? what base training and by what medium (person, video tape, or just a skydiver with base equipment)?

October 9th, 2001, 03:40 PM
Get an instructor. Don't settle for the "yeah, uh, just fall off and throw the p/c. What could go wrong?"

do you wanna be a bridge jumper or a BASEjumper?
Do ya wanna live long, or????

squirrel
October 10th, 2001, 01:46 AM
Josh, shoot me an email, I might be able to help you out....

squirrel_321cya@yahoo.com

-Joe

skydvr18
October 10th, 2001, 05:06 AM
Perrine boogier, I don't actually have a BASE "instructor," just a couple of guys with 50 and 100 BASE jumps that help me out here and there (packing, exit, etc.). There aren't many BASE jumpers in the area, and none that meet the instructor criteria that has been listed previously here on the BASE Board. Not sure what the line release mod is...help me out there. BASE specific pack job, taught by a BASE jumper. 250 skydives, good canopy flying skills/accuracy skills, including about 15-20 CRW jumps. BASE gear includes an Odyssey container (velcro closed), Fox 225 (no V-tec or Multi), and 42" pc. As far as training...the same guys listed above have worked with me on exit, body position, canopy flying, landing, packing, etc. Other than that, my training has been limited to what I've read on here and other sites.

Jim J., I want to be a BASE jumper!! I was supposed to make my first jump at BD, but, of course, it was cancelled. Everyone from my dz that was going to BD decided to go to Twin Falls, and I was told it was a good place to make my first jump. I figure the other objects can come after I make a few jumps from a bridge, without having to worry so much about off-heading openings, landing (there is the water!!), etc.

So, am I good to go? Thanks for the feedback!!

Blue Skies,
Josh

October 10th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Welcome to Base, josh. A rewarding sport, indeed. However, your comment "I figure the other objects can come after i make a few jumps from a bridge" is a worrisome one. This is not low altitude skydiving, you will really want to slow down, and take things at a more reasonable pace. The simple answer to your original question is A) perrine can support a 0-3 second delay only with correctly packed and assembled base specific gear. If anyone reading this is a nrgb displaced skydiver with skydiving equipment showing up with bridgeday mods on their gear to get a first jump off perrine; dont do it, you will die, if you are not tackled by other basejumpers and wrestled to the ground before exit. Dont confuse perrine with nrgb. Perrine is way to low, guys. B) A 42 inch pilot chute will work with a velcro closed rig off perrine, it is generally intended for a 2 second delay, but will work, with a pause, on a go and throw. Your base specific canopy, with base pack job, should have slider removed, the lrm line release mod means the control lines (brakes) have been routed outside the riser guide rings, and obviously with the slider completely removed the control lines arent trapped by the slider grommets either. This means the control lines arent connected to anything, if released in flight they would flow straight back in the wind connected only to the trailing edge of the canopy. This would allow you to clear lineover mals at low altitude.
If you are there, please be patient and wait for a basejumper to show up to assist you, I say this simply because my answering your questions online does not guarantee your health or your life, because i have not seen you, your gear, or your pack job/ rig assembly. Do you know how to compose, and route a handheld set up for exit? It takes only a very small mistake or oversight by an disappointed or overeager person to run the risk of a misroute or bad exit. LRM was likely an integral part of your gear set up, but you still should have known about it before exit. What you dont know can and will kill you, If you are a common sense reasonable person you will realize that this is not discouragement or criticism, it is the truth. Lets make sure your first jump isnt your last.

IF YOUR GEAR IS SET UP CORRECTLY, AND ROUTED INTELLIGENTLY, the main things from there are simple. Jump off head high and stable (no rotation), and throw the pilot chute at or before 2 seconds. However, making a stable exit isnt as assured as you might think, so again practice at the bridge with a base jumper. Jumping alone, unpractised is a coin toss that is stacked against you, if seen doing something really odd, again you'll be tackled by anyone who shows up in time. Dont worry though, tom aiello will show up here any moment...

Be anal retentive about your gear all the way. Check and triple check right to exit. Make sure your canopy is connected (3 ring circus is assembled correctly), make sure its continuity is correct (did it tangle or twist after the last jump?). Make sure your bridle is solidly correctly attached to the shrivel flap, and that the pilot chute is connected, and in good condition. Make sure you are in the container harness, correctly routed and snuged down (chest and legs). Make sure the bridle is clear and comes over the top of your hand into the s folded pilot chute. After you go over the rail pause a while to look over what you can. Face outboard, feet shoulder width apart, weight evenly distributed, solid footholds, knees bent, shoulders back, head up, pilot chute up and ready to throw, bridle clear, point your chin at the horizon, jump off and up at a 40-45 degree angle, with your chest towards the horizon. Assume boxman eyes on the horizon and throw. Shoulders level. Throw pilot chute away from you to the side, open your hand and shake bridle off you it catches. If it doesnt clear, point at the pilot chute (at the sky) and shake it off. square up for opening shock.

Remember to have fun. Im going through moab first but ill be perrine that weekend if the weather is good, to tackle any skydiving rigs that show up. cya.

skydvr18
October 10th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Hey Perrine Boogier,

Thanks for the feedback...lots of great info in there!! The statement I made about jumping a bridge before other objects was in reply to Jim J.'s question about whether I wanted to be a bridge jumper or a BASE jumper. I only meant that I do intend to jump objects OTHER than bridges. I don't plan to try to get my BASE number within the next week...or try jumping the local towers around here that look SO nice...or jumping ALL of the objects that the other experienced BASE jumpers around here do. I do plan to take it slow. I just figure a bridge is a good object to make my first jump from...then progress to other objects. I understand that I'm not gonna be able to hop from object to object. I like to think I've got a level head on my shoulders...contrary to what my whuffo friends think :P

Gear...the slider has been removed, and I've got ya now on the line release mod...the steering lines go straight from tail to velcro...no guide rings. I had a rigger and BASE jumper do this for me. And don't worry, all of my BASE jumping buddies will be there before me. I have been instructed in the handheld setup. Again, I will have my BASE buddies there to check this.

Not to worry, I will not be jumping alone, so no coin toss. There are about 8 of us going, 2 experienced BASE jumpers, the rest I'd call intermediate. I hope this sets your mind at ease a bit. I will be with experienced BASE jumpers, who will be watching after me. I'm not a yahoo, or somebody wanting to look cool. I like to think I'm jumping for the right reason...to have fun. I've been wanting to BASE jump for a long time, and I waited until my skydiving experience was built up, then waited 6 months for Bridge Day...so now it's the Perrine. I've seen posts by wannabes on here before, and I got the same feeling you probably have right now...oh boy, here's a statistic!! But I have been studying this for a while, I have BASE jumpers to help me out, I know the risks, I'm willing to accept them, I'm a level-headed guy, and I'm going into this with my eyes wide open. Again, maybe this can set your mind at ease...as much as possible for a wannabe about to jump the Perrine!! &-)

Again, thanks for all of the advice. This will all help me out a tremendous amount. I look forward to seeing you at the bridge...tackling people with skydiving rigs!!

Blue Skies,
Josh

October 11th, 2001, 11:19 AM
A level head indeed. A welcome addition to our ranks, for once. You can jump with me anyday. You are gonna love this sport I can tell...Enjoy perrine. p.s. This time of year the winds arent going to be too bad, but they're starting to crank back up, particularly if a storm is moving through. Although perrine is very forgiving (particularly if you dont mind getting wet), in my experience of jumping perrine year round, you might want to go make your first jump early in the morning. Unless an active storm is moving through at that time, usually the wind is calm, or is a light headwind; a no-brainer jump in a way--just open and land straight out on either the beach/shore or the large field to the right of the tree-line. If youre a morning person, that is. If the winds are like this, Id say go for a delay, dude, dont just hop and pop (unless you go off unstable). By mid-morning the winds usually reverse to blow from the usual direction, out of the west, at your back, which will necessitate canopy skills, 180 and deep brake approach.Cya PB:-)

skydvr18
October 11th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Gotcha. Early morning is most likely when I'll be making my first jump. Thanks again dude.

Blue Skies,
Josh

October 11th, 2001, 04:31 PM
uh. yah. I just noticed the "charter member" logo next to your name, troll. Ya got me. hook line and sinker...

skydvr18
October 12th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Huh? Help me out on that one!!

Blue Skies,
Josh

October 12th, 2001, 05:25 AM
You know, if you trolls applied your 800 jumps more productively, we might actually have something cool going on, but if your going to troll at least post under "unregistered". Up by your name you'll see a gold star, and the words "charter member", this means you are either one of the bored big names like avery or mick, or have been on blinc as an experienced basejumper since blincs inception (registered). I really enjoyed wasting my time and energy trying to "help" you, troll. I'll know better next time...>(

skydvr18
October 12th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Dude, seriously, I'm just a wannabe...I wish I could say I had 800 BASE jumps...or hell, even one. The only reason I'm a charter member is because I've been coming here for the past 6 months, since I decided to go to Bridge Day. I'm sure you can find other posts where I've asked whuffo questions. Ask Tom A., I've e-mailed him questions about making my first jump, instructors, etc. You haven't wasted your time dude...your info has really helped me out, and I really do appreciate it. I wouldn't waste my time or your time by "pretending" to be a newbie. Here's a couple of my previous posts form the archives:

skydvr18
Charter Member
28 posts, 1 feedbacks, 2 points Aug-01-01, 10:09 AM (PST)

"skydiving w/ base canopy"

Wannabe here. I just got a new base canopy and container. I want to put the canopy in a skydiving rig and make a few hop 'n pops before making a BASE jump with it (to know its flight characteristics, work on accuracy, etc.). I just need some recommendations. How should I pack it...a skydiving pack job, for a slower opening, or a BASE pack job? Should I put it in a D-bag? What size pc should I use? Mesh or sail slider? What kind of brake setting should I use? All recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Blue Skies,
Josh

skydvr18
Charter Member
28 posts, 1 feedbacks, 2 points Aug-02-01, 09:43 AM (PST)

18. "Thanks Everyone!!!!"
In response to message #13

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I think I can compile all of this info, talk to some local BASE jumpers and the local rigger, and figure out a good way (or ways) to pack for a hop 'n pop (or perhaps a 3 sec delay).
On another note, I have yet another question. And flaming is welcome. I was supposed to do ground crew for a couple of local jumpers yesterday, but one of the guys couldn't make it. So the other jumper asked if I wanted to go make the jump. Well, it got dark, so we didn't jump. They originally told me they'd take me on a jump after I ground crewed for a few jumps. But now they're talking about taking me on this jump this evening, if everything works out. It's an A, pretty decent height (maybe 1000'??), but they were talking about going from lower (600-700'). The landing area is great...no obstacles, completely open, level. It's in a very secluded place...no rushing.

As for me, I have 253 skydives, no base jumps. I have made one balloon jump with a stable exit. My accuracy skills are quite sharp. I feel like I have a level head, and I want to BASE jump for one reason...the fun of it. I do own my own gear...Odyssey (velcro) and Fox 225 w/ 42" pc. I've been researching BASE for quite some time, and I've been talking with the locals for a while. I was going to wait until Bridge Day, but they say they'll take me on one before then. Everyone says BD is the best place to do your first jump, but if you've had training, you're jumping from a fairly decent height (although not the best object, from what I've read on here), jumping safe gear, and jumping with experienced BASE jumpers, does it seem totally bizaare? I'm sure it's a "better" idea to wait unitl BD, but just throw some opinions at me...really bad idea, reconsider, seems safe, go for it...I'd just feel better with more than three opinions. Thanks again everyone.

Blue Skies,
Josh

I certainly don't want to piss anybody off this early in my BASE career. I simply registered when I found the BASE board way back in the spring, and charter member popped up there after a while. Thanks again man...you haven't wasted your time.

Blue Skies,
Josh

Zoomee
October 12th, 2001, 11:54 AM
Yo P.B.

Don't get discouraged. Wheather skydvr18's posts were truthful or not (appears thruthful to me), I really appreciated the advice you shared on this thread. I have been jumping Bridge Day for 10 years with a skydiving rig. I finally broke down, mad the commitment, and bought some real gear.

Your posts have helped emphasize to me to take the Perrine seriously and not take it for granted.

Thanks for the advice, see you at Perrine on Bridge Day.

later,
Z

October 13th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Well, then, here's to you and Josh; have an awesome jump, guys, in the best sport ever. Remember when you jump, how much fun this is, and dont forget to take in the visuals...I just get burnt out on the idiot trolls with nothing better to do. Sorry. cya. pb.:-)

skydvr18
October 13th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Not a problem, it's completely understandable...c-ya at the Bridge!!

Blue Skies,
Josh

October 14th, 2001, 07:05 AM
just in case im actually out of moab; when are you making your illustrious first jump, day and time. thx.

skydvr18
October 15th, 2001, 04:07 AM
Probably will be early Friday morning. I'm getting there Thursday around 4:30 p.m., but I'd like to watch some people jump first, have someone watch me pack one final time, and have a few hours to talk to my BASE buddies before I take the leap. C-ya!!

Blue Skies,
Josh