PDA

View Full Version : base rigs vs skydiving rigs

drewswerd
July 28th, 2005, 09:05 PM
i am just getting interseted in base jumping. I have no intention on ever even attempting a base jump but i was wondering what is the difference between base rigs and skydiving rigs? (lamens terms please).

matt266
August 6th, 2005, 07:34 PM
In laymans terms a base rig comprises of a canopy and a container. The canopy in skydiving is secured in the container with a single pin which is built to house a main and reserve canopy. In BASE it is predominantly a single canopy system in which the canopy is secured with a velcro system,or two pins, or sometimes one pin. The canopy is typically much bigger than a skydiving canopy. Slower and more stable is the way forward as landing areas are often much tighter and technically difficult to land in. BASE canopies are reinforced because there is no 'cut away' option and it is sometimes subject to high forces during deployment. They are built to open quicker and more 'on heading'. I'd skydive a base rig but i wouldn't basejump a skydiving rig. loads more differences but thats it in a nutshell