Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buildings-Classification for BASE #

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

Buildings-Classification for BASE #

Hi folks. After reading the confusion surrounding what qualifies as a building, I thought I needed to clear up a few things. First, poor Scott R was taking some heat about his cylinder jump, but on a seperate forum (Official BASE Numbers) he did say it was occupied by people with phones ringing etc. which makes it pretty close, but not close enough. There are grey areas here, but before Joy and I will issue an official BASE number, the building must be clear. Incidentally, we do try to fit all objects into one of the 4 if we can. There is no catagory for "OTHER" as far as Official numbers go. For example, a smoke stack that comes out of the center of a building like a power plant can be a building if the opening altitude puts you next to the side of the building and not the stack. Otherwise it is a tower. A dam qualifies as a cliff (earth) jump due to the obvious similarities. Things that define most of our BASE jumps usually have to do with the physical hazards unique to each type of object. Like most towers have wires, but there are free standing towers and they still qualify even though they are safer. Buildings usually have some square corners known to cause reverse eddies on the downwind side, but a round building like Library Tower is still a buildiing. Unoccupied buildings still qualify. The neat thing about buildings are the unusual psychological factors surrounding the urban setting, all that concrete, visible stripes in the road, cars, powerlines, police, etc. They really make normal buildings one of the scariest of BASE jumps. There is just something about being on top of a skyscraper (as we old timers called them because we always looked for the tall ones). No object conjures up the complex fears and even though there are all of the physical fear factors, at the second of exit, most of us are only thinking about a good exit and staying away from the building on opening. We'll deal with landing later. In fairness, not all buildings will have all of the factors present. A legal building jump removes the chase and police fear, but still qualifies for a B in the BASE sequence. Therefore, if anyone is about to qualify for a BASE number with a building and you are not sure if the object will qualify, please feel free to e-mail me and I'll try to give you a reading in advance. My home e-mail is Cliffleaper@aol.com. My wife Joy who does all of the real work in keeping accurate track of the BASE numbers can be reached at Joyhgc1@aol.com. We also check BASEBOARD every few days. Also, lets all be nice to Scott R because the only thing his cylinder was missing is that it sounds like it was a free standing cylinder rather than one coming out of a building so it is like a stack that would qualify as a tower. I do agree with most of the comments that if you go out and do a real downtown building, you'll know and feel the difference and your BASE number will truly mean more to you. Take Care everyone and remember, pay attention to detail out there!!!

Blue Skies and Soft Walls
    Rick Harrison
    Director, USBA
    BASE 38.

RE: Buildings-Classification for BASE #

what would you call KL TOWER?????

building or TOWER?????

I had a 180 off it never touched my toggels just to see if I would hit the damn thing and I did not!!!!!(dissapointing)

I think it is far from a building!!!;-)

have a Go Way Low day

Simple rule, if the crane is so far from the building that you can't hit it with a 180 the whole way, its not a real building jump. Cranes that are close enough to the building that you could hit it with a 180 would be a buiilding. Cranes that stick out 100+ feet from a building really don't really qualify as a building. Your message is clear, you were not in danger of hitting a building, so it wasn't a building jump. Sounds like you guys had a great time though and my congrats!
    Rick H
    USBA

RE: A dam qualifies as a cliff

Really?
    How do you figure?
    B=Building
    A=Antenna
    S=Span
    E=Earth

Smokestacks, dams, power-towers, windmills, metal structures, pillars, etc. are all parts of a BASE sub-culture, fixed object jumpers. (Maybe)

Joe, you didn't try hard enough. Try using your front risers next time.
    Tried it, didn't like it, but it worked! :-)

crispy

>For
    >example, a smoke stack that comes out
    >of the center of a building like a
    >power plant can be a building if the
    >opening altitude puts you next to the
    >side of the building and not the
    >stack. Otherwise it is a tower.

This seems a bit off to me. Most jumpable smokestacks are simply round buildings. They are built and the wind doesn't blow through them...seems like a building to me. All the inherent qualities of a building jump are there.

Hey guys, there will always be some differences and no rule is exact. An attempt was made long ago to fit certain objects under one of the 4 catagories and we're trying to keep that consistency. After getting your qualifying number, you can log these jumps anyway you like. Take care and keep jumping.
    Rick

Now this is a fun string. We are actually discussing object classification-cool BASE jumper talk. :D

What would you call a ferris wheel? The wind blows through it and it's built. Is it an antenna or a building? How about a roller coaster? I've seen one that's big enough to jump. If my buddy calls the ferris wheel an antenna, can he call the roller coaster a Building? It is attached to a building you know, well it's more like a pavilion.

I guess I'm being a little sarcastic here but I am trying to make a point.

Why not just accept the fact that not all BASEable objects fall into one of the four categories? By the way I jumped a 400 foot smokestack a few times and though it was "built by man" out of bricks, there is no way I could call it a building jump. It's just too different.
    :-)

The other night I flicked a low crane and it scared the crap out of me. Did you know that the word "crap" comes from the guy who invented the flushing toilet? His last name was Crapper.
    FYI.

Hello,

First I have to say that it was a pure pleasure to meet you guy's in Malaysia .. twice. I surely hope that we will meet again some day.

About the KL Tower, I did some floaters of it and pulled without turning away first and in my opinion you could hit it if your accuracy is good ;)

Then to the issue of KL Tower being a "B" or a "other" I do not really care, it is a jump and it was fun and I just want to have fun :) so I my logbook I counted it as a "basejump".

3..2..2..2..##### I start over!

PerFlare - The hippie looking Swede

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) crwper's Avatar

I see it like this: In order to get your 'D' license in skydiving, you have to complete certain style and accuracy requirements. That doesn't mean every jump is either a style jump or an accuracy jump, it just means those two things are intended as an indicator of your skill and experience as a skydiver.

Some freeflyers at my home DZ complain because the license requirements in Canada, until recently, haven't included any freefly component. My response has always been that if you're really a good freeflyer, you should have no problem doing the basic relative work needed to get a license.

I think the B-A-S-E system is useful to give an idea how diverse a base jumper's experience is, but it's not a complete system by any means.

Michael

So how would you classifly a 300+' tall airplane hangar? a building i would obviously say. But at times the dorrs are open, they are large enough to move a 747 through and reach almost to the roof, so if one jumped from ther top but over the open door, would it really be a bridge? Just curious.

Answer is Blowing in the Wind . . .

Carl Boenish wrestled with this dilemma and from my memory of what he said and my own later research his conclusions are based not strictly on geometric shape (and certainly not on anything like danger level) but on how a steady wind would effect the object itself, and to a lessor extent, a parachute just below and downwind of it. (He explained this to me as, here's what would happen if you placed the represented shape into a wind tunnel).

If the wind blows under the object, it's a bridge.

If the wind blows around the object, it's a building.

If the wind blows through the object, it's an antenna.

If the wind is blocked by the object, it's a cliff.

Not perfect, of course, but when you think about it, this works, as it ignores crosswinds and such as these are transient in nature and (because he added the parachute to the equation) explains why a tall skinny tree is classified as an antenna and larger (read wider) rounded smoke stacks are really buildings. (And why most dams are cliffs).

However, this formula is strictly a basis for the BASE award Carl came up with and you can certainly call any object whatever you want later on.

As an aside, Jean Boenish (bless her heart) wanted to called the sport BEST jumping (Building, Earth, Span and Tower). "This way," she said, "you wouldn't have to call a smokestack a building.”

However, the rest (Smith, Mayfield, etc.) were already drooling over a word Carl found in his dictionary. And that word was "BASE."

They especially liked it’s second definition which is, "evil and vile," and the deal was sealed the first time Carl Boenish actually uttered the phrase “BASE Jumping,” in front of the group. Phil Smith (BASE #1) told me later it hushed the room and sent chills down everyone’s spine.

And you know what? It still does . . .

Nick :-)
    BASE 194

AHHS 1968 Ft. Worth, Texas

Rick / Randy

Same guys?

Dave Coleman
    olddave@txucom.net

RE: A dam qualifies as a cliff

who gives a toss?
    come to chamonix and have some fun...leave your anorack at home.

RE: AHHS 1968 Ft. Worth, Texas

Yes, same guys. Both Randy and I started skydinving in 1971 up in Iowa and Illinois. We started BASE jumping in late 81. Joy (my wife) and I now keep the official BASE numbers we got from Jean Boenish. We both knew and jumped with Carl and Jean in the early days. My personal e-mail is Cliffleaper@aol.com so let me know yours. The link in BASEBOARD did not work. In fact, I'm going to Stanton, Tx. this weekend with Gene Hemphill to jump (plane) out there.
    Rick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast