1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    BASE652

Todays Twin Falls Newspaper Article - You Decide

BASE jumper's death revives debate
    By Sandy Miller
    Times-News writer
    TWIN FALLS -- The death of a BASE jumper Thursday afternoon has reignited debate about whether local officials should regulate or outlaw jumping from the Perrine Bridge.

Meanwhile, the Twin Falls County Sheriff's Department Friday identified the jumper as 30-year-old Jason John Corcoran of Wexford, Pa.

Nancy Howell, public information officer and victims' coordinator for the Twin Falls County Sheriff's Department, said Corcoran was one of a group of seven jumpers visiting Idaho from Pennsylvania. Witnesses said Corcoran had attempted a forward back flip and deployed his "pilot" chute, but the main chute did not open.

BASE is an acronym for building, antenna, span and earth. The extreme sports enthusiasts jump with parachutes from tall structures, and the 486-foot drop from the Perrine Bridge is a favorite of jumpers from around the world. It's the only bridge in the country where people are allowed to BASE jump year-round.

This was the third fatality to result from BASE jumping in Twin Falls County. The last fatality was in June 2002, when 24-year-old Brian Stout of Gilbert, Ariz., fell to his death. Another jumper was killed in February 2000 while jumping from the Hansen Bridge.

At other locations across the country, BASE jumping has either been outlawed or restricted.

Fayetteville, W.Va., will hold its annual BASE jumping event today and tomorrow, the only two days of the year that people are allowed to BASE jump off the New River Gorge Bridge. All jumpers will have to sign waivers which free the county and state from any liability should they be injured or killed. The waivers also include questions about experience, equipment and swimming ability as well as an emergency contact number, said Paul H. Roberts, a BASE jumper and military paratrooper.

Roberts, who has been parachuting for 30 years and says he was one of the first to BASE jump off the Perrine Bridge in 1989, said Twin Falls and Jerome counties would be wise to sit up and take notice from officials in Fayetteville.

"I don't want to ban it. I want it regulated," Roberts said.

BASE jumpers pump thousands of dollars into the local economy. Kent Just, executive of the Twin Falls Area Chamber of Commerce, estimated that jumpers bring at least $250,000 to local businesses each year.

But Roberts questioned that way of thinking.

"These guys around here are being blind in one eye about this," Roberts said. "Sure, it draws in revenue, but what about a lawsuit?"

So far, there's never been a lawsuit stemming from a death or accident of a Perrine Bridge BASE jumper. But that could soon change.

Wayne Stout of St. George, Utah, said hearing of Corcoran's death convinced him he needs to sue the state of Idaho for the death of his son, Brian, last year.

He said if BASE jumping off the Perrine Bridge had been regulated, it would have been discovered that his son did not have the correct gear configuration for doing the coordinated jump with seven other BASE jumpers.

"My son's death could have been prevented," Stout said in a phone interview Friday. "The state of Idaho is a contributing factor in my son's death. There's a two-year window, and my plans are to sue the state of Idaho. My son should not be dead."

Twin Falls County Sheriff Wayne Tousley said he has no problem with BASE jumpers as long as they're not causing traffic problems.

"As long as they're not hindering traffic on the bridge, they're not breaking any law," Tousley said. "If I regulate BASE jumping, am I going to regulate rock climbing and whitewater rafting?"

Jim Guyer of Overland Park, Kan., doesn't intend to stop BASE jumping anytime soon. Guyer, who is 75 years old, made 10 jumps from the Perrine Bridge in August and several jumps the previous year as well.

"It can't be very dangerous if an old guy like me can frequently make BASE jumps without injury," Guyer wrote in a letter to the editor in today's Times-News.

But Roberts said it doesn't matter how many jumps you've made. There will always be risks involved.

"There are no experts," Roberts said. "Anyone who tells you that is a liar or a fool."

Stout agreed. Out of the eight jumpers who performed that coordinated jump off Perrine Bridge with his son, three are dead. Dr. Nikolas Hartshorne, a deputy state medical examiner from Portland, Ore., who had tried to save Brian's life, was killed just two weeks later in a BASE jump from "The Nose" -- a 1,300-foot cliff in the Lauterbrunnen Valley in central Switzerland. Then just last weekend, BASE jumper Dwain Weston was killed jumping off Royal Gorge Bridge in Canyon City, Colo., Stout said.

"It's not only an extreme sport, it's a dangerous extreme sport," Stout said. "If I have my way, I'm going to do something about it."

Stout said he feels sadness for Corcoran's family.

"I know what this family will go through," Stout said. "I'm still going though it. Brian was a good person, and he was happy about life. I miss him every day."

Times-News writer Sandy Miller can be reached at 735-3264 or by e-mail at smiller@magicvalley.com.

RE: Todays Twin Falls Newspaper Article - You Decide

I cannot believe the inaccuracies in that article! Allow me to correct many of Sandy Miller's mistakes:

(1) Bridge Day is not this weekend, but next. If you can't even get this right, how much of the article should we believe?
    (2) I am the BASE jumping coordinator for Bridge Day 2003. The State of WV and Fayette County have NO requirement to put them in my waiver. There is only one waiver that jumpers sign, and that is MY waiver that mainly protects me and my company from the frivolous lawsuits.
    (3) How can anyone do a "forward backflip"? I am a former high school diver, and have never heard of such a dive.
    (4) Based on reports from jumpers who witnessed the incident, Mr. Corcoran's "parachute did not open" because Mr. Corcoran did not decide to deploy his parachute until it was too late. That is simply pilot error...not equipment error as inferred by your article.
    (5) Bridge Day is only a single day event, not two days as you incorrectly wrote.
    (6) My waiver DOES NOT HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT JUMP EXPERIENCE, EQUIPMENT, OR SWIMMING ABILITY. Last year's waiver didn't have it, nor will this years. Where are you getting this information, Ms. Miller? However, when a jumper registers to jump, we do ask questions about equipment and jump numbers. I do not verify this information, and our onsite gear checks cannot always identify parachutes or gear that may be worn out or improperly packed.
    (7) Dwain Weston was not killed on a BASE jump off the Royal Gorge Bridge. Get your facts straight, Ms. Miller, when you are talking about the deceased.
    (8) I have no record of Mr. Paul H. Roberts attending Bridge Day 2002 or 2003. I am astounded that Ms. Miller even listened to Mr. Roberts despite the fact that he has not recently attended, and perhaps never attended a Bridge Day event. For all I know, Mr. Roberts is just a one-jump wonder....

------------
    Jason Bell (BASE428)
    Email: jbell@vertical-visions.com
    Web: www.vertical-visions.com or www.bridgeday.info

Mr. Paul H. Roberts @ Bridge Day?

Mr. Paul H. Roberts did NOT attend Bridge Day 1997, 1998, 1999 or 2000.
    He was also NOT registered for Bridge Day 2001.

Furthermore:

>>But Roberts said it doesn't matter how many jumps you've made.<<
    >>There will always be risks involved.<<

>>"There are no experts," Roberts said.<<
    >>"Anyone who tells you that is a liar or a fool."<<

Depending on how you read the statement, Mr. Roberts is a liar or a fool.

Or, he does not think there can be experts when risk is involved.

Mr. Roberts, there are risks involved in all walks of life, from extreme sportsmen, to stock investment brokers, to military leaders, to surgeons, to postal carriers, to short order cooks.

Indeed, there are experts in all fields, it's just that experts can and will make mistakes. Novices also can and will make mistakes.

Mr. Stout

Mr. Stout
    If you file a lawsuit I will be there to defend the state of Idaho and your dead son. I will be there to defend the freedom of choice something all human beings should have.Base jumping is not the problem the bridge in Idaho is not the problem. YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. How did someone as free spirited as brian come from a parent like YOU. SAD SAD SAD. The only thing I can come up with is that he did not believe in the way he was taught and your actions would most likly make him ashamed of you.

have a gowaylow day

RE: Mr. Stout

I have just spoke with Mr. Stout via telephone.
    Sadly, I was informed that this was the first phone call he's received from a BASE jumper regarding his son's death. Nobody has called until now.

There are always two sides to a story. I don't believe we've truly heard what Wayne has to say. Trust me, you NEED to hear what he's saying because he has brought up some very interesting and enlightening points to me. He does not want the Perrine shut down, but only some simple regulation that would put information into the hands of new jumpers who want to jump the Perrine.

Brian was jumping a 6'-9" bridle and 38" pilot chute, going stowed for the first time, and had only 11 jumps while attempting his first 8-way. If you don't see something wrong with that arrangement, then you'll never understand Mr. Stout's wishes to educate jumpers on proper gear configurations when jumping the Perrine. Strange things have occured after Brian's death that I was shocked to hear. For example, the burning of Brian's gear, the vague accident reports, the claims of certain people that they inspected Brian's gear when they never did, the failure of those involved to speak up, the person who sold Brian the "BASE bridle" that was only 6'-9", etc.

Mr. Stout is a grieving father who wants to make sure the same mistake does not happen again. I understand his situation and will support him in any way possible. While Mr. Stout and I may disagree on a few points, as expected, I'm sure we'll find common ground in order to satisfy both sides and make BASE jumping at the Perrine safer for everyone.

There is so much more to talk about. I will post a full length report soon and will discuss this issue at Bridge Day.

------------
    Jason Bell (BASE428)
    Email: jbell@vertical-visions.com
    Web: www.vertical-visions.com or www.bridgeday.info

base719

RE: Mr. Paul H. Roberts @ Bridge Day?

Paul Roberts was present in 2002 when a gang of us were jumping.
    He is a high school algebra teacher in a nearby town not too far from TW.
    He knows "everything".
    He is a smoking gun; ie, he had two 16 or 17 year old students from his high school there and pca'd them from the bridge to "raise their level of maturity and self confidence"
    He is the last guy in the world that Sandy should have interviewed.
    That was a great letter Jason, and it was a prudent action to make that phone call to Mr. Stout.

RE: Mr. Stout

Well said Joe,

I just can't figure out a-holes like Wayne Stout. To sue the state of Idaho is just plain old greed. The state has as much responsibility for Brian's death as Saddam Hussein; NONE! Wise up Mr. Stout. If anyone has any responsibility it is you. What went wrong raising your son that he would pursue something as crazy as BASE jumping? Where did you fail as a father? Don't blame the state for the choices made by Brian. He jumped off the bridge. No one made him jump. BASE was dangerous and deadly when he started jumping, still is, and always will be. Did you try to stop Brian from jumping? Did you have him locked up until he would agree not to jump? Did you get him some mental health treatment? How could you not have done all these things yet now blame the state of Idaho?

Free will is awesome, but it comes at a price.

Tree

BLiNC Magazine Suporter

Re: Todays Twin Falls Newspaper Article - You Decide

To Brian Stout's father...
    I used to live in Twin Falls Idaho. I have watched many people jump form the Perrine Bridge. I am not sure, but pretty positive after reading the comments on this site. On a summer day in June of 2002 myself, my children and an (ex boyfriend) were down at the cliffs jumping into the water. We started talking to this young (good looking) kid, i would say he was in his early 20's at the time. I could never remember his name. He was telling us that he came to BASE jump from the bridge. He told us that him and about 6-7 other people had been jumping pretty much the whole afternoon. He said he had jumped around 6 times himself and that they were all going to head up to the bridge and jump one more time before calling it a day. He told us we were more then welcome to join him up there to watch him jump. My son at the time really thought he was cool and talked his ear off about jumping, it's something he wanted to some day. So about 30 minutes later we found us a parking spot and walked the bridge until we found him. If i recall right there was maybe 2 people to his right. He was packing his chute right there on the bridge. I even remember my ex asking him if that was they way it was supposed to look after he got done with it. My ex even joked and asked him if he could just hang on and jump with him. It's been so long, that i do not remember our extent of conversation. He then climbed over the edge with all the others. As they all jumped at the same time i actually took a picture of him floating in the air. I saw him reach his hand back and release his chute, it did not deploy (or however they call it) It just looked like a streamer above him. We all started yelling as we realize that he was going to hit the water. All the other jumpers were landing and the boats were heading to shore to pick them up, with all the screaming it took a few moments before they even noticed that he had hit the water and was floating on the top of the river. Let's just say that it really FREAKED us out, seeing that. Especially since we were just talking to him a few seconds before. My children to this day have never forgotten that sad, horrifying day. I try not to think about it too much, just for the fact that such a young man may have lost his life. At the time this happened i was in the process of moving back to Texas. so i never heard anything else about it. I am not sure if this is your son Brian. He had blonde hair, not real tall. he was a nice looking young man. I want to express my deepest sympathy for your loss. If this is him and you would like the picture i took, i will be more then happy to send it to you. you can reply to idahospud85@yahoo.com
    thanks, Brenda

BLiNC Magazine Founder mknutson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could you please attach the picture here?

BLiNC Magazine Suporter

Let me look for it and i will see what i cant do about uploading it.

Providing the photo may be very critical. It's been nearly a decade, but if I remember correctly, some people suspected he may have left a rubberband on his PC. A photo might be able to shed some light on this.
    Thanks.

BLiNC Magazine Suporter

I just posted the picture that i believe to be Brian Stout. He lost his life jumping from Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls Idaho June of 2002.

Do you have a link to the photo? Not sure where you posted it. Thanks.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) MarcoPoko's Avatar

Brian Stout - BLiNC Photo BASE

Shadow is obscuring BOC, looks like he might have extracted and is holding the PC in right hand.

so, yes he may have pulled the PC, but if a pull up cord was tied around it, then it would cause a "streamer"