PDA

View Full Version : I needed to finally say it-even though it was so long ago

extremewheelchairs
January 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I see him open his carefully made wings, while I open my rags that gives a slight opening shock, I see his rags are flying off his body in pieces, while mine cling to these arms in flight.

Words flash in my mind...he's going to fall n not fly like the plan we so perfectly planned to bring us safely will now make him die.

this boy, my brother's in the tree. I watch.
Fear! fills my hear for my twin, my friend, fear of knowing the strength of the tree against his little head
is toomuch he surely is dead.

scrambling to reshape his mangled up head,'i scream to the heavens above come help me put it back before he's dead

Helplessness fills me i now know it's too late.

Deep sadness flows away and im empty inside.

soon the people are running from the hills to disturb my private silence with my brother whose dead.
'they come to see his smashed up head

that's when i vow silence for yrs to come, for my hatred for these vultures would consume my life and I'd too end up dead.

for what do they want here? to understand what its like to be dead by staring at this boys smashed up head?

i get up and walk toward the forest lonely without my brother by my side. Like all the other times we jumped off this site.

we were a team, the towns other kids knew us as fast hands and quick mind, and never too lazy to try something crazy. journals of love and useless child games they kept, we wrote our journal in detail of the belief we had,
that we'd fly like the birds if we jumped off things,
to perfect this thing-"SUOMEN SISU1"-mabye means "crazy Finn's1" we'd write on our backs each time we conquered a roof top, a window or a ski jump tower, running faster then the adults chasing we knew the secrets holes in fences and hiding holes in bushes.

but now to them all he was only a sight only seen in movies and stories -now in real life. -something to brag to the kids at school, to brag they saw his body crushed like it was a contest who has now the goriest story to tell, of the Suomen sisu who flew off the ski hill tower to his death-not so smart these twins are now they'd laugh.

a vow of silence i made, for 6 yrs to honor the life that we had a chance to share.

finally here now it's safe to tell the story
-or maybe not.

move this to where ever it belongs-im not so savy with writing my pain so remove it if's improper to share any place.

Para_Frog
January 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM
???????????

extremewheelchairs
January 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
what can I help explain?

extremewheelchairs
January 8th, 2010, 09:03 PM
what can I help explain?

guasabara
January 8th, 2010, 09:30 PM
where you on the load with erich wagar?
....2 way, tower jump, 6yrs ago, daytime, impact

extremewheelchairs
January 8th, 2010, 10:59 PM
where you on the load with erich wagar?
....2 way, tower jump, 6yrs ago, daytime, impact

you're thinking of someone else.

ParaB.A.S.E. (Russell) had a bridge strike-his ankles broke...

I was commemorating my twin brother,

reflect on Paul.

He was a kid who was well liked for his 'antics' All his young life he was a 'stunt boy".
I don't remember our earliest years, but I do know the stories and seen the picture of him at 18 months.

He had the acrobatic abilities of a monkey at 18 months. He could climb the door frame using his fingertips and toes. He seemed to "suction cup" himself to the top and would just hang there. http://www.basejumper.com/images/forum/laugh.gif

He had no fear-we began jumping from grandma's 2nd story window *(I was 1st that time-and after my fractured skull landing he decided to wait till I healed to figure out how we could perfect that move before he jumped http://www.basejumper.com/images/forum/sly.gif-after that we started to write our 'journal for flyers' we called it. and drew pictures of what we would work on next, and wrote about how we would do it-after his death m mother found the journal and burned it-saying it was my fault Paul died-had I not started with the window.

One time, when we got a ride in my uncles van (cars were a luxury not many had in our family) we were about 5 yrs old, he moved behind the back seat of the van and opened the back door.

He figured out how to open the door and as it swung open he was hanging and swinging on it having a great time.I was on my way back to follow suit but realized that I couldn't open the 2nd door-so i just laid on my belly watching the ground and occasionally getting kicked in the head by Pauls feet.

I don't know how far we drove but eventually there were drivers behind who were honking their horns, we laughed as people were pointing with terrorized faces.

I think the spanking we got was so severe that I don't even remember the van stopping, or the rest of the trip except the freedom and feeling of pure joy watching Paul swing with the door and seeing how fast the ground below us was going by.
I think that may have been one of the beginnings of the addiction to 'ground rush'

lifewithoutanet
January 9th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I've read this...a few times. Still not sure I follow you. And Russel didn't break his ankles. Technically, even, I don't think you could really say he had a bridge-strike. It wasn't an 'object-strike' in the traditional sense when you think about object-strikes in BASE. Not even sure why you brought him up, even.

But in any case, sorry if you suffered a loss.
-C.

extremewheelchairs
January 9th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I've read this...a few times. Still not sure I follow you. And Russel didn't break his ankles. Technically, even, I don't think you could really say he had a bridge-strike. It wasn't an 'object-strike' in the traditional sense when you think about object-strikes in BASE. Not even sure why you brought him up, even.

But in any case, sorry if you suffered a loss.
-C.

thanks for interest in expressing and explaining things.

Yes I agree-bridge-strike.
"my bad" in not being more vigilant with my response to quasabara,

My thoughts went to Russell's jump upon reading the name
'para frog'
in the sense that to me=as a paraplegic the word 'para' immediately indicates paralysis (and perhaps para-frog is just that, a paralyzed individual)

When the question of a 'strike' came into the discussion, my purpose for bringing him up was to make sure there is association of me to him.

he is very experienced jumper in relation to me and to respect him i do not want anyone to mistake me as him 0r as impersonating him in anyway.

Since I do not know the individuals mentioned in the object strike mentioned above-my purpose was again to clarify that I am not someone who was there, or has any personal knowledge of the situation or individuals involved.

If I did that-the attempt to clarify-was in some way inappropriate in the way i did it, for that i apologize,

I have been a 'lurker' for some time now here and at basejumper.com and am finally able to be comfortable to begin asking questions (eventually-and in appropriate forums) ecause my input clearly is merely asking a question I have not found addressed yet, or to start sharing about me=and what I do, hope to accomplish in the future and how.

This 'dedication' to my brothers life, was, I thought a place for me to start.
Since it happened on Jan 8th.-the day I wrote it.'

I certainly woulld not call it a BASE incident because of several reasons
1- this was the activities of two kids, who believed we could fly=after all we lived in Finland, had a ski jumping facility in our town (as many do in Finland-which is why Finns are proficient in that sport) and.

2) had we never heard of BASE jumping-only skydiving-which a member of our family was involved in the military (perhaps our belief in the ability of a human to fly had something to do with it) which truly leaves our activities and his death as the antics of two misguided kids who held on to a belief (falsely) and went on working towards what we believed to be a possibility-human flight

As many current BASE jumpers perhaps did as kids-jump from things adults thought were crazy to do and dreamed of being able to be successful at these activities.

Such as knowing some, who as kids jumped off roofs to their parents worries or annoyances.

I will work on giving an introduction to myself at a time when I feel comfortable to do so-and if someone has an interest in the meantime please send me a PM .

With looking forward to learning, progressing and reaching goals I hope my stay in these forums will be productive and useful and appropriate

be well
EW

punkd
January 9th, 2010, 07:10 AM
My thoughts went to Russell's jump upon reading the name
'para frog'
in the sense that to me=as a paraplegic the word 'para' immediately indicates paralysis (and perhaps para-frog is just that, a paralyzed individual)

The jump wings and pathfinder torch might indicate a different meaning of the word para. I guess with a military mindset thats what comes to mind for me first.

Para_Frog
January 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM
No, ParaFrog is a military jumper (para) and diver (frog). as explained here:

http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/blogs/para_frog/15-newbie-chronicles-my-first-year-base-part-one-harvey.html

I just didn't get the whole peotry thing. I'm a caveman.

I get where you're going though. And for the record - anyone who dies in BASE dies at their own hand. Period. So (easy for me to say) let that part go.

Guilt will drive you to an earlier grave than BASE ever will.

stitch
January 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM
GreenMachine apparently knows this person. Perhaps he can explain in a simpler fashion what she is trying to convey.

extremewheelchairs
January 10th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I just didn't get the whole peotry thing. I'm a caveman.

I get where you're going though. And for the record - anyone who dies in BASE dies at their own hand. Period. So (easy for me to say) let that part go.

Guilt will drive you to an earlier grave than BASE ever will.

no problems with the 'caveman' concept-i'm told i'm totally socially inept-can't explain things in a manner that makes sense (like when i motion my hand at the pilot chute-people think I jump stowed-while it's a static line with me trying to do a 'practice pull' like the old TTO days in skydiving)... causes me lots of problems-anyways thats just an example of how stupid i AM SOCIALLY and in EXPRESSING MYSELF. :o

as for the 'guilt'-well again i fckd up with the expression part.

it was a way to show how i felt THEN,,, as a kid-we were kids after all...

which is why i would NOT count it as a fatality in BASE (after all it was in 1972!) :eek:
we'd never have know of such an idea-even if it was out there in the minds of others-we were just trying to 'learn how to fly' (dont know if its just being a crazy Finn, or just being crazy period :o)

and finally for the 'guilt' part-no guilt anymore....
im in my eary 40's, that was almost 30 yrs ago.

Today, I KNOW Paul flies with me-he's been there to playfully tug at my n flip me around in FF for some awesome tumbles unexpexadly @ 10 grand, (surely laughing his head off @ me :)),
and once to save my life -with a spinning mal, from a low alt. jump- with the forces involved it took 2 sec's by the time I was able to get to my cut away handle, my audible was screaming @ me -telling me it was time to get that reserve out or....

as my Decelerator grabbed the air and announced her sudden appearance (I LOVE reserves that dont take their time to show up but snap my back with the statement of "I'm here so lets fly "), I knew Paul was there to give me a helping hand.

So no guilt there anymore-that left when I was 12. :)