PDA

View Full Version : ...and we're the stupid ones.

speedphreak
June 1st, 2010, 08:55 AM
If Google told you to jump off a cliff, would you? (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/05/29/if-google-told-you-to-jump-off-a-cliff-would-you/)

Ok, I was drawn to the article purely base on the head line, and my first thought was "probably!".

This is (yet another) incident that shows the depth of human stupidity and failure to accept the consequences of our own actions.

The worst part isn't that she was a complete moron and walked out onto a busy street (kind of like "The Office" episode where Micheal drives into the lake because his GPS said "turn right"), the pathetic part is that her recourse is to sue Google for damages.

It's fucking pathetic; just Harden The Fuck Up Bitch!

seekfun
June 1st, 2010, 02:39 PM
The most frightening thing about this is the link between freedom and responsibility is eroding. Freedom only works when it comes with responsibility. Freedom to do what we want must include the responsibility to accept the consequences of those decisions, whatsoever they may be.

Each and every time we allow one of these frivolous lawsuits to proceed, we reinforce the idea that freedom comes without responsibility; we reinforce the idea that in today's society we may (after the fact) transfer any and all risk or loss to a third party who had no opportunity to participate in the decision making. And if that proceeds, those who keep paying for all these frivolous claims will begin categorically taking our freedoms away. Google (et al) will seek government protection from such claims and the only way to indemnify Google (et al) without borrowing more money from China is to take away freedoms so these things can't happen in the first place. So Google will either have to stop giving us directions or we'll all pay a Google Maps Tax to fund the Google Maps Mesothelioma Silicone Implant Claim Fund.

Case in point: Since we can't be trusted to use lawn jarts safely (remember those), they simply aren't made anymore. And that's sad, 'cause lawn jarts were awesome.

Pay close attention to the part of the civil complaint that says, "actual and proximate cause". To sue for negligence, you must prove that the third party's behavior (or lack of behavior) was both the actual cause of damage and the proximate cause (which is to say: not so far removed that a series of events with potentially-different outcomes could have broken the chain of events leading to the incident). Anyway, this is the part of tort law that needs to be revisited. I'm going to go off on a small rampage now: HOW IN THE FUCKING HELL IS GOOGLE'S ROUTE SUGGESTION BOTH THE ACTUAL AND PROXIMATE CAUSE OF THIS WOMAN'S INCIDENT?

Anyway, I'm rambling. But I'm with you Speedfreak, this bitch is the embodiment of all that is declining in society today: nothing is ever anyone's fault anymore; we are entitled to be wrong as many times as we like without ever bearing responsibility; bad things do not happen to good people; and everyone is good people, no matter how horrible/stupid they really are.

~ Chris

Uberchris
June 1st, 2010, 05:13 PM
the sad part is that idiot fucking cunts like this moronic woman are the sad saps that live to be 90 years old, and its the good people that always die young.
this woman should be stoned in public. id take a whack at her with a chunk of volcanic rock

Halorob
June 8th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Stoned in public! Thats terrible punishment. I always get anxiety.

Mac
June 10th, 2010, 09:08 AM
The most frightening thing about this is the link between freedom and responsibility is eroding. Freedom only works when it comes with responsibility. Freedom to do what we want must include the responsibility to accept the consequences of those decisions, whatsoever they may be.

Each and every time we allow one of these frivolous lawsuits to proceed, we reinforce the idea that freedom comes without responsibility; we reinforce the idea that in today's society we may (after the fact) transfer any and all risk or loss to a third party who had no opportunity to participate in the decision making. And if that proceeds, those who keep paying for all these frivolous claims will begin categorically taking our freedoms away. Google (et al) will seek government protection from such claims and the only way to indemnify Google (et al) without borrowing more money from China is to take away freedoms so these things can't happen in the first place. So Google will either have to stop giving us directions or we'll all pay a Google Maps Tax to fund the Google Maps Mesothelioma Silicone Implant Claim Fund.

Case in point: Since we can't be trusted to use lawn jarts safely (remember those), they simply aren't made anymore. And that's sad, 'cause lawn jarts were awesome.

Pay close attention to the part of the civil complaint that says, "actual and proximate cause". To sue for negligence, you must prove that the third party's behavior (or lack of behavior) was both the actual cause of damage and the proximate cause (which is to say: not so far removed that a series of events with potentially-different outcomes could have broken the chain of events leading to the incident). Anyway, this is the part of tort law that needs to be revisited. I'm going to go off on a small rampage now: HOW IN THE FUCKING HELL IS GOOGLE'S ROUTE SUGGESTION BOTH THE ACTUAL AND PROXIMATE CAUSE OF THIS WOMAN'S INCIDENT?

Anyway, I'm rambling. But I'm with you Speedfreak, this bitch is the embodiment of all that is declining in society today: nothing is ever anyone's fault anymore; we are entitled to be wrong as many times as we like without ever bearing responsibility; bad things do not happen to good people; and everyone is good people, no matter how horrible/stupid they really are.

~ Chris

+1

airdog07
June 10th, 2010, 03:08 PM
now day's in Arab country stoning they dig a big hole and put her in than dump truck back up to the hole and dump rock in to the hole

runnit
June 10th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Nah, stoning's too simple. You need something ironic and relevant to teach the other idiots out there that if you're too lazy to think for yourself, shit WILL happen to you.

Blind fold her and push her out on the highway seeing that's pretty much what's she's complaining about anyway.