PDA

View Full Version : Fatality in Suffolk, Virginia, USA?

base428
July 16th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Not sure what to make of this.....

Man killed after jumping from cell phone tower in Suffolk, police find parachute at scene - wdbj7.com (http://www.wdbj7.com/sns-ap-va--celltowerdeath,0,4631151.story)

mknutson
July 16th, 2010, 08:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGFkm69NXWw&feature=youtube_gdata

SUFFOLK, Va. (AP) — Suffolk officials say a man died after jumping from a cell phone tower.

City spokeswoman Debbie George told The Virginian-Pilot that authorities believe the victim was attempting a BASE jump from the tower. A parachute was found at the scene.

George says the incident was reported just before 5 a.m. Friday.

The man's name is being withheld pending notification of relatives.

The acronym BASE stands for the places from which jumpers usually leap: buildings, antennae, spans and earth.

mknutson
July 16th, 2010, 10:55 AM
I believe this is number 150

davo
July 17th, 2010, 10:52 AM
This is terrible news, we still need details on what went wrong. This was a friend of mine that did his FJC in March. Solid dude and a great friend, he will be missed.

mknutson
July 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
This is terrible news, we still need details on what went wrong. This was a friend of mine that did his FJC in March. Solid dude and a great friend, he will be missed.
Who is he please?

Para_Frog
July 17th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Navy identifies local SEAL killed|WAVY.com|Suffolk (http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/navy-identifies-local-seal-killed)

Operator. Bad day. RIP Brother.

mknutson
July 18th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Navy identifies local SEAL killed|WAVY.com|Suffolk (http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/navy-identifies-local-seal-killed)

Advertisement
Navy identifies local SEAL killed
SEAL killed in apparent BASE jumping accident

Updated: Saturday, 17 Jul 2010, 7:13 PM EDT
Published : Saturday, 17 Jul 2010, 5:53 PM EDT

SUFFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - The Navy has identified the SEAL killed in a Suffolk BASE jumping accident Friday.

According to a Navy news release, Special Warfare Operator First Class (SEAL) Tyler S. Stimson, 30, died from injuries he suffered in the accident.

Stimson, a U.S. Navy SEAL and native of Wakefield, New Hampshire, was assigned to an East Coast based SEAL team. Initial reports indicate the incident occurred just before 5 a.m. Friday when police and paramedics were called to the scene at the base of a cell phone tower on Godwin Boulevard near Harrell Drive.

According to the news release, Stimson joined the Navy in June 2002 as a Navy SEAL candidate. Following Boot Camp in Great Lakes, Illinois, he went on to graduate the Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL course in 2003, in Coronado, Ca.

Upon graduation from BUD/S, Stimson went on to complete the Navy’s advanced SEAL Qualification Training to earn his trident at the Naval Special Warfare Advance Training Command. Stimson was subsequently assigned to a series of East Coast based SEAL teams where he made multiple combat deployments in support of Overseas Contingency Operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, for which he received several combat awards and decorations.

“Tyler was an exceptional SEAL, teammate, husband, son and brother,” said a senior officer in Stimson’s unit. “His loss will be felt throughout the unit. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Stimson family.”

Stimson’s awards and decorations included the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with combat “V” distinguishing device; two Combat Action Ribbons; the National Defense Service Medal; Afghanistan Campaign Medal; Iraq Campaign Medal; Navy Unit Commendation Medal; NATO Medal; Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal; Marksmanship medals for both rifle and pistol, and a multitude of personal, unit and campaign decorations.

Stimson is survived by his wife, Chelsey Stimson, of Virginia Beach, his parents Linda and C. Thomas Stimson of Wakefield, N.H., and his sister, Jessica, of Denver, Colo.

His friend, also a Navy SEAL, was base jumping with him and has been charged with trespassing, police said. Jason James Tompsett of School Road in Virginia Beach was able to give emergency responders directions to the incident. Tompsett was released on a signature; no bond was required.

A parachute was found on the scene as well.

BASE jumping is the act of jumping from a fixed object with a parachute, such as a building, antennae, bridge or cliff.

Suffolk Spokeswoman Debbie George told WAVY.com base jumping incidents happen occasionally in the city. However, she said they are difficult to prevent.

"The individuals, anytime they go on this property, they're trespassing," George said. "It's illegal, it's very dangerous. But it's very hard to catch these individuals. They go when it's still very dark... and they leave the scene."

A similar incident occurred in September of 2009 when three parachutists jumped from a TV tower near Nansemond Parkway and hit a power line on the way down. No word if they were ever hurt, but they did manage to knock out power to hundreds of Suffolk residents.

The incident is currently under investigation by the Suffolk City Police Department.

Funeral arrangements are pending at this time.

mknutson
July 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM
But I am interested in 'WHAT HAPPENED??????'

davo
July 20th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Local news has this story now.

Suffolk News-Herald | Investigation: Jumper got tangled with his parachute (http://www.suffolknewsherald.com/news/2010/jul/19/investigation-jumper-got-tangled-his-parachute/#comments)

Also just heard that both jumpers were static line. Jason was landing when Tyler jumped so he didn't see what happened.

mknutson
July 21st, 2010, 06:43 AM
Local news has this story now.

Suffolk News-Herald | Investigation: Jumper got tangled with his parachute (http://www.suffolknewsherald.com/news/2010/jul/19/investigation-jumper-got-tangled-his-parachute/#comments)

Also just heard that both jumpers were static line. Jason was landing when Tyler jumped so he didn't see what happened.

Let me get this right:

Both Jumper had less than 6 month BASE Experience
Both jumpers where jumping a new, never before Jumped object
Both jumpers where given advice to just 'go for it!!!' even knowing their lack of experience?

Am I missing anything here?

Sounds like he had no fucking business being on that object doing his 1st ever static line. Then when he was crapping his pants, he went super head low and got tangled in his static line and most likely broke the cord early, and no time for anything on such a low object...!

How low was this CELL tower? Looks like it was <200' from the video.

cdunaway
July 21st, 2010, 08:21 AM
How low was this CELL tower? Looks like it was <200' from the video.

259' according to the article.

My condolences to his family and friends. Very sad.

mknutson
July 21st, 2010, 08:56 AM
259' according to the article.

My condolences to his family and friends. Very sad.
Don't get me wrong, this is sad and I am very sorry to hear this.

davo
July 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM
Wow, way to throw blame without knowing anything about his skill level whatsoever.

He was a newer jumper.

The object has been jumped plenty by others.

It was not his first static line, and he knew how to do it.

Unlikely that he went head down, I have video of plenty of his jumps, none are head low.

Sorry to rain on the shit throwing forum parade. I still don't know exactly what happened. A guess that seams possible is an object strike. Or maybe break cord prematurely breaking... but that still doesn't explain how it happened because the object could be jumped freefall.

Lets hold back a little on tarring and feathering til you know what actually happened

-Dave

seldomseen
July 21st, 2010, 01:21 PM
FJC in March and now he's wanting to FF 240 cel towers. Just cause someone was a SEAL does not mean that you're gonna be the smartest BASE jumper.
You say the object had been jumped be others?? But it was his first time off it? Bad Idea.
Just cause it's not your first SL does not mean you cannot fuck it up.
Just because other jumps were not head low does not mean this one was not.

And have you jumped this object in FF?
Can you tell us then to the best of your knowledge how many jumps you think he had? do you know?

Sorry for the loss of your friend Dave, but there are a number of thing that it sounds like poor judgement and low experience level. And from locals I've talked with the conditions alone should have warranted climbing down the tower.

Again, sorry for your loss. But Brah, WTF was he think'n? Only he knows.

Wow, way to throw blame without knowing anything about his skill level whatsoever.

He was a newer jumper.

The object has been jumped plenty by others.

It was not his first static line, and he knew how to do it.

Unlikely that he went head down, I have video of plenty of his jumps, none are head low.

Sorry to rain on the shit throwing forum parade. I still don't know exactly what happened. A guess that seams possible is an object strike. Or maybe break cord prematurely breaking... but that still doesn't explain how it happened because the object could be jumped freefall.

Lets hold back a little on tarring and feathering til you know what actually happened

-Dave

Huck
July 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM
Not sure if people here browse the other site but a post was put up by a jumper who seems to have lots of exp. with this particular tower and explained a bit about it.

Condolences to family and friends.

mknutson
July 25th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Instead of just a forum Thread, I offer up an entire Page dedicated to everyone you would like to wish Farewell

Tyler's is here:
BASE Jumping:: BLiNC Magazine Forums - Tyler S. Stimson (http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/content/tyler-s-stimson-157/)

speedphreak
December 27th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I think this is pretty cool of the Navy: Navy says no misconduct in SEAL's BASE jump death in Suffolk (http://www.dailypress.com/news/military/va--cell-tower-death-20111227,0,4456526.story)

mknutson
December 27th, 2011, 09:40 AM
That is great stance by the Navy.

VIRGINIA BEACH — The Navy says there was no misconduct by a SEAL who was killed in a daredevil jump from 1,000-foot cell phone tower in Suffolk.

A report by the commander of Petty Officer 1st Class Tyler Stimson's unit says Stimson's death occurred in the line of duty. The Virginian-Pilot (Navy finds no misconduct in BASE jump death | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com (http://bit.ly/rGiXrC) ) obtained the report through the Freedom of Information Act.

The 30-year-old Stimson was killed in an off-duty BASE jump from a cell phone tower in Suffolk on July 16, 2010. The sport involves parachuting from buildings and other fixed objects.

Daily Press introduces Daily Savvy Deals. Sign Up now to receive offers that are 50% off or more!

According to the report, Stimson was an experienced sky diver who took steps to reduce the risk.

It also says BASE jumping resembles activities the unit's members do every day and other SEALS have been known to engage in it.

StevenSmith
April 18th, 2013, 12:52 AM
This is terrible news, we still need details on what went wrong.
This was a friend of mine that did his FJC in March.

StevenSmith
April 20th, 2013, 12:50 AM

airdog07
May 5th, 2013, 09:00 PM
The tower was about 220 feet high, and Stimson's fall time was estimated at just five seconds.
Stimson's friend and fellow SEAL called 911. He was BASE jumping with him and was later charged with trespassing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you need to ask his friend that was there to know what happened.