• British tourist dies in Greek parachuting accident

British tourist dies in Greek parachuting accident

Jake Simkins fell from the cliff face after being stuck for more than three hours
    A British tourist has died in a parachuting accident on the Greek island of Zante, police have said.
    He has been named by the Foreign Office as Jake Simkins.
    Police in the town of Alikes say Mr Simkins, believed to be 42 and on holiday with his seven-months-pregnant girlfriend, died in a fall on Friday.
    A witness told the BBC the Briton crashed into a cliff face, and became stuck on the rocks. Police said he had been base jumping with a parachute.
    The Foreign Office added that it was assisting his family.
    SnaggedGreek police said Mr Simkins was base jumping off a cliff at Navagio beach in the north west of Zante, also known as Zakynthos, when the accident happened.
    Sotirios Siatis, a local police officer, said Mr Simkins' parachute got snagged on the cliff face.
    He added that the Briton was stuck for three hours while emergency services attempted to rescue him, but fell to his death before he could be reached.
    Dutch tourist Corne van der Eerden was on a nearby beach with his wife and witnessed the accident.
    He told the BBC: "We heard a flapping sound and saw what we thought was a guy sky-diving or parachuting.
    "He crashed into the wall - it looked to be about 60m high."
    Mr van der Eerden said the parachute appeared stuck on the rocks, and he ran over to try to help.
    He added, "I shouted out to him and he said he thought he had broken his leg. He said he had his mobile phone on him and was going to call his wife.
    "I told him to be careful but he said he was going to hang on tight. Our boat arrived then, so my wife and I had to leave."
    Mr van der Eerden later discovered the man had died.
  • BASE Advertiser Cube

• Follow Us on...

• Latest User Images

sf roe 04262008 004
    sf roe 04262008 004 by mknutson
    GOPR1816
    GOPR1816 by mknutson
    IMG 1116
    IMG 1116 by 434
    The Raven
    The Raven by extremewheelchairs
    More...