View RSS Feed

Mick Knutson's BLiNC BLoG

Finding new friends to jump with...Part 2

Rate this Entry
Finding new friends to jump with...Part 2

The forum was running for almost a year and I started noticing that people where joining from all over the country. They where meeting here on BLiNC, contacting each other then would start traveling to jump in more and more locations. I thought this was a great use of BLiNC.

Then one week I got sent from SF to Indianapolis for a 2 week project. So i thought I would put my first post about travelling on BLiNC on the Tuesday after I flew in. I got a call about an hour after I posted this. I though HOLY-CRAP! that was fast.

'Some Guy' named Joe W. asked if I was ready to jump? I said, I don't have a rig with me. He said, "that is not what I asked because I have a brand new rig with zero jumps that you can use!".
Hell yes I am ready. So he gave me an address that I had to mapquest (as i did not know my way around Indianapolis) to pick up the rig ahead of time and repack, and to get to the jump site.

I pulled up at the jump site around 10:30pm in an empty parking lot downtown with a large white utility van sitting there. I pulled up and Joe and Bruce jumped out. Joe said "welcome to indy: look up". I was looking at the building we where about to jump.

He told me the 5 minute plan.
  1. Walk in
  2. get in elevator
  3. ditch into access door next to elevator exit.
  4. gear up in stair well
  5. open door
  6. GET THE HELL OFF!
  7. Get away!
Sounds easy, but could never be 5 minutes... Ya right! (pretty close)

We walked in, staight to the elevators, up to the top floor. When we got out, the host was at her post, so we ditched into the bathroom just next to the elevator.
We waited for maybe 2 minutes. Then joe said "lets walk out, if she is gone, ditch into the stair well across from this bathroom."

So we walked out, the lady wass gone, we go toward the door, and the waiter door just next to it opened!!!! HOLY #%%$^!
LUCKY: THe waiter was full of plates, walked the other direction, and we where in the stair well for the roof access!

Now we had to quickly gear up before we opened the door as there was an alarm on the room door. So we geared up fast! Then, Joe said "on the count of 3, i am going to open the door, the turn right. The edge is 10 feet way. Get on the edge and we need to get off here BAM, BAM, BAM!".

3, 2, 1.... open, We get out, Me in the middle, then Bruce to my right, joe to my left. This is all of about 10 total minutes after leaving the van. I was way amped up! Joe said to me "your our guest here, you go first...". I was so amped, I said %#&$* that! its your building, You go first. (gotta laugh now).

So Bruce pulls a short delay off, then after about 6-10 seconds later, I was up.... I knew we where is a serious time crunch, so I said what the hell. Got off, into a great position, but only took about a 2 second delay which was enough for me then.

Great on-heading opening. I went up to grab my toggles (looking a bit behind me) and whoosh-BAM......! #&&$%@ Joe delays past me with a least a solid 4, opens and lands almost even with Bruce.

Get to the ground, get picked up, and we where off without anyone else knowing...

I was a true believer of meeting new friends on BLiNC.

Joe has been one of the best friends in my life, and was even my Best Man at my wedding.

part1:
http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/blog.php?b=2

Submit "Finding new friends to jump with...Part 2" to Facebook Submit "Finding new friends to jump with...Part 2" to Digg Submit "Finding new friends to jump with...Part 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Finding new friends to jump with...Part 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Finding new friends to jump with...Part 2" to Google Submit "Finding new friends to jump with...Part 2" to My Yahoo Submit "Finding new friends to jump with...Part 2" to ma.gnolia

Updated April 1st, 2008 at 04:26 PM by mknutson

Categories
BLiNC Magazine , BASE Jumping

Comments

Great story man.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: