Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of print book "Groundrush"

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) crwper's Avatar

RE: Out of print book "Groundrush"

I found a copy using the Alibris website (www.alibris.com). Took about six months for their search engine to come up with something. Cost $55.25 Canadian by the time it got here.

Come to think of it, I finished reading the book a long time ago, and I think everyone around here has had a chance to borrow it... Let me ask around and make sure, but if everyone here's done with it, I'd be happy to forward it to you...

As a matter of fact, I might let you have it for the cost of shipping, provided you'll do the same for the next person who asks. Let me think about it and get back to you.

Michael

P.S. Anyone else looking for the same book? Maybe we can get a tour going here.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

I would definitely like to read it....
    Gardner (atlanta)
    K. Gardner Sapp
    Executive Director
    The Alliance of Backcountry Parachutists, Inc.
    P.O. Box 38202
    Atlanta, Georgia 30334
    gardner@backcountryparachutists.org
    www.backcountryparachutists.org

I'm thinking the easiest way to get this book to a few people is if we make a list with mailing addresses... The list could go with the book, or I could keep the list and just give the next address to whoever currently has the book. The latter would limit who sees the addresses, which hopefully would alleviate any concerns about distributing information. Provided the book stays in North America, postage should be about the same for everyone, and if you pay postage to send it to the next person on the list, it should be about the same as if you had paid the postage to have it sent to you...

Does this make sense? My copy of the book has been beefed up by a library, so I think it's ideal to be passed around. There always seem to be people looking for the book -- maybe this is a good way to do it?

Let me know what you think.

Michael

tumibase

wow, dude...thank so much for your response. Yes, I also went to that alibris site, but the Canadian link is no longer there. I also called the publishers in the UK (Trafalgar Square), but the copies are long gone (got a little obsessed there).
    I'm heading to Twin Falls, Idaho in June/July to do the BASE course wih Jimmy/Marta at Vertigo BASE. I've been researching BASE jumping like a maniac. Did you know that book is the first and last published book on BASE jumping? I just got done watching the Gypsy Moths, and there is a special section on the DVD, where you can see Carl Boenish in action...incredible presence!
    My home dropzone is Deland, FL...there are a lot of BASE jumpers there, but this book is SOOOO hard to find...My friend and instructor "Maddog" lent it out ten years never to see it again...

What I'm thinking is that I could receive the hard copy and read it, then copy it, then spread it to my other fellow jumpers, then send it back to you. It would take a few days, and you would have it back in a week..it's very, very, VERY rare book.

My email is jorge@km-studio.com...Please let me know about me sending you the postage payment, and again, thank you!

It's an important piece, and I really want to spread it around. This made my day...
    }(

Sounds cool. If it works for the two of you, maybe what we could do is I'll send it to tumibase, you send it to Gardner, and Gardner can return it to me. The postage should be about the same as if you paid to have it sent to yourself. Cool?

Michael

P.S. If this works for the two of you, e-mail me at crwper@mustagh.com and let me know where to send the book.

imported_Mac

My friend got me and herself a copy quite easily - cant remember how!! She gets back from a skydive trip next week so will ask her where she got them from.............

I read it before I BASE'd and then re-read once into it - its worth the second read! especially if you have jumped an object mentioned in the book! :P

Be Safe!

Michael
    :+

"quite easily"

This has got to be one of the hardest books to get online...Let me know the specifics (I spent 3+ hours looking at everything related to it)

imported_Mac

RE: Heres an idea!

yeah no worries!

She did not get it online - I think it was ordered through a bookshop here in the UK - I had just mentioned to her i wanted to read it - and within 2 weeks she presented me with a copy! :o

If it was a one off - I will buy her copy off her (she doesnt BASE and one read was enough - i dont think she reads that well anyway! hehe) and donate it to the world wide readership.

I will post that i have it - first reply gets it sent to them - and they post they have read it and are ready to pass it on - first reply gets it........et cetera et cetera!

It is a must read book written by one of the true pioneers of UK BASE.

Will let you know the outcome!!

Be Safe people!

Michael
    :+

Too bad there's not an electronic copy of the book online somewhere. That way instead of mailing a book around, those desiring to read it could see it that way. Not sure about copyright stuff but it IS out of print.

But if it is going to get shipped all over, I'd be interested in reading it too.

Stay safe out there! ---Dex
    dexterbase@hotmail.com

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) base570's Avatar

Ummm,
    I'm interested in getting in on it too!!
    Let me know.

The only one I found so far is here Amazon.co.uk: low prices in Electronics, Books, Music, DVDs & more

$216 is way more than I can swing for a book.

Jason
    BASE #570

imported_Mac

Ok – this is the sketch

Copy of eMail I received
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't really want to sell it!
    I went on the internet and looked for "out of print books" and found a few
    places in the UK that had it in stock. It was about £15. I can't remember
    the name of the shop, but do a search and you'll find something! I just
    phoned up a couple of places and they sent them to me.
    You could always donate yours!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    No I don’t want to donate mine!! Hehehe

So I hope this helps! In the quest of obtaining copies!!

If needs be and to stop getting taxed / import duty etc etc – get the book sent to me and I will throw it through my works post – thus cutting down on postage charges!!

Let us know how you get on!!

Be Safe

Michael

I just got the book...thanks Michael!
    I see it came all the way from Canada...

I will read it, copy it, and return it to you ASAP.

Thank you again,

Jorge

:D

Enjoy! If anyone else wants to read the book, send me an e-mail. I'll be happy to send it along.

Michael

Yes.......at......abebooks.com....a database of second hand book stores online!!!! enjoy campers!!!!!:P

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

A while ago I OCR'ed a copy someone leant to me and I emailed Jakey asking him if he minded me releasing it in electronic format as a resource for the good of the community but he was strongly opposed to it, so I respected his wishes. So please don't email asking for a copy because I won't send it to you. Alternatively, you could email Jakey or the publishers telling them what a good idea you think it would be for the book to be available to the community if it isn't going to be reprinted!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast