Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DW does Double Gainer off 186 feet

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

DW does Double Gainer off 186 feet

Today I had the privilege of filming (in freefall) the worlds leading aerobatics jumper, Dwain Weston, do a double gainer ( double reverse somersault) from a 186 foot object.

It was precision stuff. Any mistakes by either of us would have meant certain death. There was no margin for error.

Why would Dwain attempt something like that?

Dwain has successfully completed over 250 aerobatic BASE jumps and has been progressing towards full springboard diving routines in BASE jumping. He has been undertaking intensive springboard diving coaching for quite some time and has a history of gymnastics as well. The double gainer was a culmination of that diving training, a number of single and multiple gainer attempts from progressively lower objects, detailed study of video of all his aerobatic jumps (to determine altitude consumption when performing manouvres and during deployment), special packing / equipment techniques to facilitate rapid deployment (including use of a 52 inch p/c), use of a sufficiently weighted canopy that takes minimal force to extract, etc.

Prior to attempting this jump, Dwain developed 100% consistancy in performing double gainers from higher objects and the springboard. The message here is don't go attempt everything that comes into your head without proper preparation and 100% likelihood that you can perform in the BASE environment. Remember that 9 out of ten gainers off the springboard will translate to a death every 10th jump. Nothing less than 100% is acceptable.

The jump was filmed as as part of a video I am producing (release late March / Early April). This video will feature Dwain Weston performing aerobatics never before seen in the BASE environment. Examples of other jumps include: BASE skysurfing aerobatics with 22 second freefalls (yes this is the world record which has been incorrectly claimed by DB), 230 foot freefall tandems, wing suit jumps, cutaways, multiple somersaults with twists and spins from 480 feet, deployment CRW, intentional malfunctions, big ways (including the world record 24 way), attractive female jumpers, buildings, cable cars, chimneys, power poles, dams, waterfalls, 62 year olds, blind people, comedy jumps, and even lots of carnage.

The video will incorporate very innovative angles (a lot more innovative than a camera strapped on a foot), some scripting, original music, and full DV editing.

For more information, don't hesitate to email me or stay tuned for more info.

It was a pleasure to be a part of Dwains 500th BASE jump - HE HAS HAD NO INJURIES due to diligence in skill development. Quote from Dwain "We are not even close to the so called edge. We have a long way to go and the only way to get there is to push back existing boundaries via training, skill development, and some good old courage. This is only the beginning, wait till you see what I have in store for the future...."

P.S. A note on large pilot chutes. I was using a 52 inch p/c on the jump. The huge amount of drag induced by such a large p/c will badly affect deployments (which is dangerous close to the ground) and adversely affects in flight performance due to distortion of the aerofoil/wing. The video showed post secondary inflation/pressurisation centre cell distortion to the point where the centre cells were vertically compressed. This was followed by rapid vertical acceleration for a second with a reduction in flare performance... One factor was the positioning of the bridal attachment point on the canopy (old Jyro). I suspect it was too far forward. A 46 inch p/c is O'K.

RE: DW does Double Gainer off 186 feet

Right on Dwain! I wish every BASE jumper would follow your precedence. The attention to detail, the training, and the critical analysis are definately the SENSIBLE ways to approach this unforgiving sport. I can't wait to see the video!

Cheers

Right on Dwain and Tom!

Some may criticize, but Dwain and a few others, like Slim, are certainly redefining the limits.

I had the privilege of jumping with Slim for a couple of days and watched him perform aerial manuevers that some say are impossible. One example was a quadruple gainer slider-down. He completed all of the rotations tight, clean and in 3 seconds. It was an awesome sight.

And from what I've heard, simple rotations is old school for Dwain. Rumor has it that he is on to full-twisting aerobatics.

As Tom said, people like Dwain and Slim train intensively for these types of manuevers. Gymnastics and intensive dive-coaching is only the beginning. Even with all of that, they both respectfully know that a hiccup could spell disaster.

I admire their passion and desire to push the limits! It's the basis on which this sport was formed...

Bryan

Telegram For Mr. Weston . . . (Urgent)

To: Dwain Weston

Re: Double Reverse Gainer @ 186-Feet.

-----------------------WOW!-----------------------

Nick
    Anne
    Todd
    Jakey (you got a double "Wow" from him)
    Bill

Basic Research, Inc.

BTW Tom, if you are ever in need of a Public Relations job here at BR let me know. You wrote that well enough to make my palms sweat.

Nick_BR

Slim

So buddy when is the TRIPLE?

Good one mate!

Looks like quads for Moab - Just don't have an off heading! Oh yeah and you first.

Congrats on the 500th this is an impressive achievement especially given the hazards of Ozzie base. You oughta try a single with the board on mate before you go.

And Tom ...... Will Rocket (BASE DOG) be going for the record of a triple?

Luv SLIM

RE: So buddy when is the TRIPLE?

Rocket has already done a quad with the board off Duggo - he just doesn't feel the need to tell anybody. Rumour has it that he will be taking the IPBC by storm in 2001. Start training hard Slimbo.

P.S Rocket would like to know how his on heading performance will be judged considering the parachuting technology he uses?

>The video will incorporate very innovative angles (a lot more innovative >than a camera strapped on a foot)...

Tom, I'm guessing this comment is directed towards my "ankle-cam".... perhaps you've seen my video FIXED 2!? It's only natural for people to push the limits, whether via jumping or video work (just make sure you don't push too far).

I'm just glad my ankle-cam has stuck in your mind and you've proudly labeled it as "innovative".... thanks.

Jason
    BASE428
    321CYA Productions
    CHECK OUT "FIXED 2!" at [http://www.321cya.com/fixed2]

Forgot to add this image to my post:

http://www.321cya.com/_temp/wristmount_v2.jpg

jason
    BASE428
    321CYA Productions
    [http://www.321cya.com]

Tom B

Hi Jason

I think you are being over-sensitive.

I was referring to my own camera work. I have been strapping cameras to my body for years and made the comment that it was time for me to progress. As most of the people who jump with me know, I am very critical of my camera work (I think its shite - ask DwainW about the comments I make after filming him).

Strapping cameras over the body is innovative, but it is time to take the next step. Perhaps you'll see the results in the near future.

Doing camera is often a thankless task. Keep up the good work Jason (i.e keep making whatever video's you are making).

Stay Safe
    Have Fun
    Good Luck

OOOOOH!!!! DDDWAIN YOU'RE OUR HERO.TOM YOU ARE SO
    BRAVE.PLEASE EVERYBODY PLEASE EMAIL DDDWAIN &TOM
    LET THEM KNOW THEY ARE THE GODS!!!!!!!! OF BASE,AND WE ARE JUST MEAR MORTALS.
    AUSTRAIANS ARE SOPOSE TO BE "THE QUITE ACHEAVERS" UNLIKE SEPPOS WHO BLOW THEIR OWN TRUMPET AT ANY MEANINLESS JUMP.
    IT SEEMS LIKE A PROMO FOR TOM'S NEW VIEDO CALLED "TOM THE STORY OF CINEMAOGPHER WHO WILL TAKE CREDIT FOR ANYONES FOOTAGE".
    PLEASE DIRECT ANY BRUSHES OF FAME THAT YOU HAVE HAD WITH THE GODS!!!!!! OF BASE TO US HERE AT "DW&TBLOVERS@HOMO.SEXUAL.COM.BD".
    THERE ARE RUMOURS THAT DWAIN HAS USED PANTIES OF HIS FOR SALE AT $14.95AD FOR ANY ONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO BUY ONE PLEASE EMAIL DWAIN DERECT AT dwainweston@bidpond.com

pull your heads in you f@#kwits

fan club

yes, how can I join this fan club to praise these cool guys?

You poor sad twat. Sounds to me like your jealous
    Whats wrong, do you feel threatened by a little
    professionalism and technical skill?
    Dont forget to post a pic the next time YOU do a double from 186ft, although I doubt your a fraction skilled enough for such a manouver

Phuck the begrudgers!!Way to go Dwain!!!!!!

c-ya!

>OOOOOH!!!! DDDWAIN YOU'RE OUR HERO.TOM YOU
    >ARE SO
    >BRAVE.PLEASE EVERYBODY PLEASE EMAIL DDDWAIN &TOM
    >
    >LET THEM KNOW THEY ARE THE
    >GODS!!!!!!!! OF BASE,AND WE ARE
    >JUST MEAR MORTALS.
    >AUSTRAIANS ARE SOPOSE TO BE "THE
    >QUITE ACHEAVERS" UNLIKE SEPPOS WHO
    >BLOW THEIR OWN TRUMPET AT
    >ANY MEANINLESS JUMP.
    >IT SEEMS LIKE A PROMO FOR
    >TOM'S NEW VIEDO CALLED "TOM
    >THE STORY OF CINEMAOGPHER WHO
    >WILL TAKE CREDIT FOR ANYONES
    >FOOTAGE".
    >PLEASE DIRECT ANY BRUSHES OF FAME
    >THAT YOU HAVE HAD WITH
    >THE GODS!!!!!! OF BASE TO
    >US HERE AT "DW&TBLOVERS@HOMO.SEXUAL.COM.BD".
    >THERE ARE RUMOURS THAT DWAIN HAS
    >USED PANTIES OF HIS FOR
    >SALE AT $14.95AD FOR ANY
    >ONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO
    >BUY ONE PLEASE EMAIL DWAIN
    >DERECT AT dwainweston@bidpond.com
    >
    >
    >
    >pull your heads in you f@#kwits
    >

Not knocking anyone,BUT
    let's see a pic of an actual
    Double Gainer off 186 ft.

>Dont forget to post a pic
    >the next time YOU do
    >a double from 186ft, although
    >I doubt your a fraction
    >skilled enough for such a
    >manouver

Tom B

Anonymous Cowards-

Aaahhh the bitchiness continues. I'd like to answer a few points:

>>>>>IT SEEMS LIKE A PROMO FOR TOM'S NEW VIEDO >>>>>CALLED "TOM THE STORY OF CINEMAOGPHER WHO >>>>>WILL TAKE CREDIT FOR ANYONES FOOTAGE".

A cinematographer uses film. I cannot afford that luxury so I use Mini DV.

Without using your imagination, please give real examples of footage that I have actually taken credit for that wasn't mine. . . . . Why are you silent, can't answer that question huh.

I think that you are referring to the two five minute promo's "Back Trackin" and "Extreme Air Adventures". The editing on Back Trackin was done by Ken Miller at his friends place. It does contain a lot of my footage (especially freefall shots of DW), but it also contains ground based footage shot by various other jumpers and camerapeople. Some of this footage has been sold by other jumpers to commercial interests without the permission of the people who shot the footage (e.g. the low pull comp) and without giving them any money (i.e. the footage was stolen). As a result I put a copyright message on the bottom of the "Extreme Air Adventures Video". The copyright is merely there to protect the footage, not to claim credit for shooting it. Whenever I have sold footage in the past, I have spoken to all the people concerned and paid them any share of money. There has been cases where I have provided most of the footage for a story and done all the work and got the least amount of money. If you want to see receipts, I can show you. Unlike yourself, I have nothing to hide. You can speak to the owners of the footage or you can ask me who shot it. I don't take credit for other people's stuff.

I think I can also say that my footage is of a sufficient quality to stand on its own. I'll let the general public be a judge of that. Not an anonymous entity that lacks any intestinal fortitude.

Full credits will be given on the video I am producing, money will be payed and profits will be shared. I stand to lose financially from the venture. Do you have any footage you would like to provide???

>>>>>>TOM YOU ARE SO BRAVE.

I guess it does take some degree of courage to put your name to anything that is aired in public. The opposite (anonimity) would be considered a cowardly act if you were throwing accusations in public. Where do you stand?

>>>>> LET THEM KNOW THEY ARE THE GODS!!!!!!!!

I was unaware that either of us were Gods. At this point in time there is no government recognition of either of us as an official religion. We have not put any applications in and there is no devout following. Although, you do seem to be keen on establishing a fan club.

>>>>>>AUSTRAIANS ARE SOPOSE TO BE "THE QUITE ACHEAVERS" UNLIKE SEPPOS WHO BLOW THEIR OWN TRUMPET AT ANY MEANINLESS JUMP.

Perhaps you are in the sport (if in fact you are in the sport) for the wrong reasons. Every jump the majority of BASE jumpers do is meaningful. That is why we jump. You are right though, Austrians are quiet achievers ( noboby knew of the brilliantly executed Statue of Christ jump by Austrian Felix B). Australians on the other hand, quiet acheivers????? Did you not notice your colleagues on the 24 way last year. Half of the participants were Australian. What about BASE Climb? What about the up-coming documentaries by some of your jumping colleagues (i.e the planned take a student to jump in the Himalayas doco).

I think you have stereotyped the Americans a bit too much as well. Many of us have met many American jumpers and it has been an absolute pleasure to be with them and learn from them. People like the manufacturers (Annie, Todd, Adam, etc) passing on their equipment knowledge, others such as Dennis McG giving up his freedom to see the sport legalised, the various teams that are slowly developing their own skills and passing on that knowledge to the next generation of jumpers, this BASE board exists through the efforts of an American by the name of Mick Knutson, people who have been in the sport for years (Rick P, Bill L, Mark H, Marta, ), what about Carl B, do you not know any of your BASE heritage????????

>>>>>>>>>homosexuals, panties, lovers????????

whatever. I don't think my new wife would agree with you much but who knows what our sexual preferences are. But then who cares. It seems that no matter what my sexuality is, I am enjoying life more than you are. Perhaps you should call the Good Samaritans for some life councelling.

P.S Mr anonymous -> at least I don't leave injured jumpers for dead at the bottom of cliffs like you have in the past... Coward...

P.S.S to the guy asking for proof of the double gainer, I will get Ken to put some video grabs on the Australian BASE Association web site (trak.to/base). It did happen...

GOD! What the f%ck are you thinking? You did not innovate the ankle/foot cam! Refer to Parachutist issue September 1981. Look on the cover! What the F$ck do you see? Maybe a foot cam angle?!

Somebody look at me! look at me! LOOK AT ME!! LOOK AT ME!!!!!! My name is Jason Bell and I'm COOL! Please look at me...

Some stupid F&cking idiot named jason bell has put his ugly F*cking face on the baseboard! You stupid undeserving arrogant ass! Kill the F^cking cat! You suck balls!!!

428basehater2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast