alternate permit application form

This one's more to the point.

Name, Address, Date, etc.

National Park Service
    Wilderness Permits
    P.O. Box 545
    Yosemite, CA 95389

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter constitutes a request for a permit for a parachute jump (BASE jump) from either or both of El Capitan or Half Dome, in Yosemite National Park. The Aerial Delivery(ies) for which I am requesting authorization would take place during daylight hours from 2 June through 9 June 2002.

My qualifications include over XXX skydives from aircraft and XXX parachute jumps from fixed objects. As an individual knowledgeable about this type of activity, I can state that 75% of the fixed object jumps I have performed have been more hazardous than a parachute jump from either of the aforementioned earth forms under your stewardship. And through a combination of planning, preparation, and execution, I haven’t suffered so much as a skinned knee on any of these jumps. I cannot speak to the qualifications or experience of any other individual practitioner of the sport. Accordingly, this permit application is limited to jumps to be performed by me in the time frame specified above.

I am well aware that park service guidelines state that BASE jumping is not an appropriate activity in the national park system. I respectfully submit that this policy is based on an incomplete understanding of the risks and costs associated with the activity. I submit that my jumps (if approved) would entail no more probability of an incident than any climbing, hiking, or hang gliding activity done with a similar level of planning under similar conditions. If an Aerial Delivery permit is granted, I would be happy to abide all applicable park regulations and any reasonable limitations proposed for my jumps.

Thank you for your consideration. Your prompt response is appreciated. I would be happy to address any questions regarding my application. You may contact me in writing or by phone at (XXX) XXX-XXXX.

Sincerely,

Name

321cya

Good. cya at exit.

Jolly Jumper

RE: alternate permit application fo

Hi ! I`m not used to the problem, beeing from Norway where it`s legal.... But what I think lack in your aplication is a clear statement conserning littering and general behavior in nature! I would think your park-srevice is just as conserned about littering as with risk! i know from my own expirience that exitpoints often look like garbage-dumps (plastic bottles, paper and so on) This is just as irritating (should be) for the jumpers as for anybody else! So, I really think you should put in something about that. State clearly that the jumpers will only leave footprints and that jumpers will take on the responsibility to clean up any garbage left behind from fellow jumpers. I wish you luck in your quest for legal jumping in Yosemite!! ;-)

RE: 321cya

Sam is that you? BASE #4? I've been looking for you! An old friend of yours is one of mine & he would like to say hello! :-) skypunk@fuse.net