Thread: BASE Fatalities

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

BASE Fatalities

I was curious to know exactly how many and when/where/how BASE fatalities have happened in the last 20 - 30 years. I think our enemies will be able to come up with all the examples they want, but if we think about it we will know exactly how many there were and why they happened. If everyone got together and told what they knew we could establish a spot at blinc that would give all this information in one place.

I know there were 3 or 4 at the NRG Bridge, Jan and Frank at Yosemite (and a couple of others), Erin and someone else in Italy this year, Trevor and more in Norway, a guy in Myrtle Beach a few years ago, the Black River Canyon, Carl Boenish... Wouldn't it be sensible to get all this information in one place? Then if someone asked we'd know exactly the situation (if they really wanted to know they could find out anyway) and we could be on our way to finding out trends, etc.

I'm thinking along the way of incident/fatality reports in Parachutist, but all in one place.

I'd be interested in comments. Is this a good idea?&-)

imported_Tom Aiello

The List

I know that Nick D.G. was maintaining a fairly accurate copy of "The List" last I heard. I also believe that CR maintains one.

However, I'm not sure if either of them is willing to publicly post the full listing.

Last I heard, we were around 50, after 22 (or so) years of jumping. But I think until the last few years, they were largely frontloaded (i.e. most of the fatalities had occured during the early days of BASE, before modern gear). That's just my subjective impression, though.

--Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@ucdavis.edu

RE: The List

Yeah - that's exactly why I thought it would be interesting if Mick had a listing somewhere on blinc - we could tell immediately if the accidents were front-end-loaded or not and if there was a resurgence in the last few years and why - are people becoming overconfident and using skydiving gear more often (Jan at El Cap/Rumored fatality at Arco this fall), or something else we might see more easily if we had everything at one locale.

RE: BASE Fatalities

Frankie lost to the chase, not to gravity! :-)

I found an old thread by Tom A saying this list could be found at baselogic.com/forum/board/13.shtml,
    and another at baselogic.com/forum/board/196.shtml

Any idea what happened to them Mick. they don't come up when I try to find them.:'(

imported_Tom Aiello

I just tried to find the old threads where we discussed "The List". I don't think anyone ever posted a complete copy, but here's a link to the bit about it in a previous discussion.

http://www.blincmagazine.com/cgi-bin...wmode=threaded

--Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@ucdavis.edu

F.G. lost to stupidity. I believe he said "Try and catch me!" before he front flipped into the swollen Merced River. Cheeky bastard.

Why don't you print your name you fu(king #####. Why do you have to rip on Frank? He was a friend and mentor and inspiration to a bunch of us. He was also a base jumper like you you sh!t wipe. Yea he made a bad decision. So what! Rip on our dead friends??? What for? Pull your head out of your ass.

Shane, don't let this NPS RANGER get to you.
    That's right NPS troll, you are busted.

Shane i heard that there was going to be a show or something on the trip you took to Baffin. the only pictures i have seen were the ones in skydiveing mag. i would like to check out some more. if you have any info please let me know

post it on the board or you can e-mail me at aidclimber@hotmail.com
    Thanks

Skylar }>

The show already aired on OLN. I was out of the country when it was on and totally forgot to post the time and date here. It might air again and when it does I'll deffinately remember to let everyone know. I'm interested in what kind of response it gets from everyone here cause nobody pulls their punches on this board.

Nick

Forgetting the fact you didn't think we'd keep track of BASE fatalities (where old, not stupid :P ), "The List" was here in the archives, but it seems gone now.

I'll try and repost it this week sometime, as unfortunately, there are names to add (and lessons to be learned).

Nick,
    BASE 194