Thread: Megapixel size for still shots?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

Megapixel size for still shots?

Does anyone out there have any experience with taking stillshots with videocameras? I'm thinking of getting a Sony PC115 that should have the ability to develop decent stillshots (?). I'm not talking about stills looking good on the PC screen, rather getting them developed as ordinary photograps. Some say I need 1,3 Megapixels to get ok stills, some say as much as 2 Megapixels. Obviously, I want the smallest camcorder possible and still get away with a good stillshot quality. Does anyone have a clue????

BaseLN:P

imported_Tom Aiello

RE: Megapixel size for still shots?

I still haven't seen a digital still of any resolution that can compare to a real photo. I'd say that if you really want good stills, the thing to do is get a real still camera. Even the super tiny point and shoot ones have usually looked better than the digital stills I've tried to extract from video.

--Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@ucdavis.edu

3ringheathen

I've been looking too, here's my take:
    Basically, none of the *video* cameras with still capability are going to be good enough.
    The digital still cameras that truly are good enough are still in the $2500+ range. By good enough, I mean have a fast enough frame rate = FPS (frames per second), high enough resolution, and provision for a remote shutter release.

If you don't mind operating the camera manually (not mounting on a helmet), missing some shots because the camera isn't fast enough, or forking out some serious cash, then get a digital now. Look for one that's AT LEAST 3 megapixels.
    Otherwise, do like me and wait for the price to come down and the quality and features to go up.
    -Josh ;-)

feral

There is a new 5 million megapixle SLR from nickon it is for sale here in Australia for about $2500Aud half that for your US dollars people that dont move to the future with stills will one day be left behind i am still looking for a digital that does what i want but its getting close.

bsbd feral:-( :-( :-( :-(