Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: BASE Jumper of the Year

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

RE: BASE Jumper of the Year

Hey, is that true about Jon? What a bummer, if so. I met him once and he seemed like a friendly chap to me. When I was younger, it is a wonder I didn't ever cause a serious accident by driving drunk myself, so I can't be condemning of him. It's a real tragedy for all concerned, if it is true.

So, who won? It's 9/1/2002. Mick?

yes it's true. and yes, we've all driven drunk and been lucky that the consequences weren't so high. but John also fled the scene and moreover attempted to leave the country. his exorbidantly priced lawyer somehow kept him out of jail so he's still walking around on the outside, free to skydive primarily at Gulf Coast Skydiving, and I suppose for once he's trying to stay out of trouble.

Everyone should consider the sacrifices Dennis McGlynn has made and is still enduring for all of us!!! He heroically fought the government for the caws and has paid the ultimate price, imprisonment. No one deserves to be recognized anymore than Dennis. He gets my vote!! The Pick!han Dennis. He gets my vote!! The Pick!

Staff Member

to AWC

Yo AWC,
    can you contact me via email, base283$yahoo.com
    thanks,
    take care,
    space

I have always admired John Vincent. He has accomplished some high profile jumps.

Being one of the six people to Jump off one of the now gone Twin Towers.

Using suction cups to climb up the Arch in Saint Louis.

I’d have to support Slim’s nomination. I have never heard of anybody even coming close to contributing such a ridiculous amount of time, money and effort in so many diverse areas, all for the good of BASE jumping without once asking for any recognition whatsoever. The essence of Fast Al is altruism at its most pure form.

Slim only scratches the surface of what Al has done in the past 12 months (any one person is probably not aware of all of Al’s efforts as he doesn’t broadcast every single task he does). Many of his contributions have been to the Australian BASE community but he has also contributed to the worldwide BASE community in so many different areas.

On a side note, he was also the best student Slim and I have ever seen (who else would get up early to pack all the rigs, load the car then bring you coffee and breakfast in bed in a effort to get the ball rolling).

See attachment for Al's handout for his BASE Balloon Boogie weekend.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456