Thread: New BASE category?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

New BASE category?

I have recently jumped of an oil rig into the ocean. What category of BASE would this fall into?
    It was great!!!!!!

Later
    :D :D :D

jason

RE: New BASE category?

I'm not super-experienced, but I think that'd be an 'E' for Earth, since that's where the jump was done.

Tower, if you go back to the original BASE reasoning.

The idea was that each of the four PRINCIPAL categories had somewhat unique characteristics that distinguished them from the others.

Buildings have the wind blow around them and have dead spots downwind.

Towers have the wind blow through them.

Spans are wide open in all directions under the launch (that's why a dome stadium like the Superdome is a span)

Earth, well, they're bigger than buildings so the wind doesn't blow around them or something like that.

According to that general reasoning, oil platforms are towers because the wind blows through them below the launch point. Obviously, they're short towers, but the main characteristic that's important to jumpers -- the wind blowing through them -- is the same.

RH

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) crwper's Avatar

Geez, put it under "O" for "Oil Rig", or maybe "R" if you already have an "O".

New game for you guys (maybe not that new, who knows)... I want to try to complete the entire alphabet. Here's my rules... One letter for each distinct type of object. For example:

"B" Building
    "A" Antenna
    "S" Span
    "E" Earth
    "C" Crane
    "G" Grain Silo

Once you've used the letter for a certain kind of object, you can't use that type for another letter, for example, with the above, I couldn't turn around and do "F" for "Freestander", or "T" for "Tressle", since those would fit under "A" and "S" respectively. So, the idea is to jump as many unique object types as possible.

I'm curious if anyone has actually jumped enough non-conventional objects to fill out much of the alphabet!

Michael

imported_Tom Aiello

Ill Vision got me off:

"T" Thing

A while back. Maybe somebody has a photo and can post it? I was pretty sure that it was just a Thing, but someone else on the load theorized that you could get:

"A" Antenna
    "S" Span
    "B" Building

All out of one jump from the Thing. It was pretty freaky looking.

I also heard a rumor that there is an:

"A" Antenna
    "E" Earth

Combination object in the southwest. That one is pretty simple.

--Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@mac.com

Easy, it was an "O" (other).

"G" for grain Silo?

Then I have an "R" for Red Antenna.

Can you use B for Bridge if you already filled S for Silo?

Rules....We need more rules.

:+

How a person wants to log their jumps is their business (and not mine). But for me, an "E" is a piece of earth. Dirt, Rock, sand, whatever...it's Earth!

Does that mean a Dam made of Dirt would qualify. Yes, although I've never seen an earth dam that's jumpable.

Some call concrete dams earth, in my mind that is a concrete dam, so it is classified under "Other".

Some have called a Smokestack their building. In my mind, a Building is exactly that, a Building. A smokestack is a smokestack...so it would be "Other".

At any rate, to each his own. For me, I try to use Traditional Style....

Aww mom, we was only funnin'.

All I ever do is BASE jump, fly to exotic places and make out with beautiful women. I need a little extra to occupy what's left of my mind.

This is about my level.

It's all about alphabetties...

jason

>I'm not super-experienced, but I think that'd be
    >an 'E' for Earth, since that's where the jump
    >was done.

Just to clarify, I personally follow the "five-year-old rule" (which, as it turns out, is mostly limited to its base-jumping applications :P ). When asking yourself whether an object is B, A, S, or E, imagine asking the local five-year-old what the object is. If he/she doesn't say "bridge" (for instance), it's probably not an 'S'.

The above comment was in reference to the planet we all know and love...

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) crwper's Avatar

Geez, do I have to tell you everything? You could use "R" for "Red Antenna", but that wouldn't be very much in the spirit of the game, now would it? You can use "B" for "Bridge", and "S" for "Silo", but then all your bridges become "B" and all your silos (because I know deep down we're all closet silo jumpers) become "S". So if you jump a Meat Silo at some point (okay, this is a very rare object, but let's suppose it happens), then you couldn't use that for your "M", since you already used silos for your "S".

Rules, it's all about rules.

Oh, and video.

Dammit... Okay, rules, video, and looking good on video. Any questions?

Michael