Thread: Closing Loop Length

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    khlc04

Closing Loop Length

Packed new Perigee Pro for the first time. Closing loop length from factory seemed very long (i.e. right hand side flap grommet not even underneath left flap. I shortened them up by ~0.25" - 0.375", having no basis for doing so, other than intuition. Pull force with rig on the floor (no wearer) seemed acceptably light, although I know this wasn't a representative test.

How do you set your closing loop length?

Also, for anyone with a Blackjack, have you found the factory-specified toggle attachement point to be too low on the steering lines? It seems like I am stowing much more steering line (>5" more) than I ever did with my Mojo even without custom DBS on the BJ.

I am planning on repacking this before I jump it, so I can modify things as necessary per your responses.

obi

RE: Closing Loop Length

I also have a Perigee Pro and it's very small for the canopy (Mojo 240). Still, I shortened the loops a lot (especially the top one, to get more even pin-tension). Never had a problem with it. I think the force needed to pull the pins will always be less than that needed to open a good velcro-flap.
    But on really low stuff :7 I put on other loops...

Hello --

I'm not speaking for CR, but I assume that their closing loops are simply produced and it is up to the user to set them to the desired length (as you did).

As you may know, there are many different factors that contribute to pin tension. Body position, the amount of clothes you are wearing, and even humidity while you are packing are just to name a few. I find myself continually changing the length of my closing loops -- from geographically different jumping locations to different deployment heights.

I know that Tom Aiello has conducted testing with a spring scale to determine pull forces in many different configurations. If I remember correctly, he has found pull forces ranging from 4lbs up to a maximum of 20lbs. When I join him in the Pub in an hour or so, I'll probe him about it and I'm sure he'll post his thoughts next time he's on-line.

When I jump things on the lower-side, I like to have very minimal pin tension, and have tighter tension on high speed jumps, or jumps where I'm not flat and stable. And as you already eluded to, be sure and have a friend check the pin tension while you are wearing the rig and the clothes you will be jumping in -- pin tension changes dramatically!

And to answer your question about the Black Jack's toggle positioning: yes it is longer when compared to a similar sized Mojo. I really like the longer control range on both the Black Jack and the Ace and find it to be an important component of the canopy's performance envelope.

Do keep in mind that the "control stroke" will change when you convert from slider down to slider up (since the control lines will route through the guide rings).

It's all personal preference, but in a perfect world, at full flight, control lines should have a little bit of slack in them. If they don't, then you are not achieving the full performance of the wing. One idea is to find this position for slider down, mark it, and then find the same positioning for slider up, marking it as well. Then change the toggle position for the particular jump. But I'm too lazy for that, so I leave mine set for slider-up jumping and then accept the longer control stroke for slider-down jumping. I've grown used to it; it feels normal to me.

Hope this helps and have fun -- the Black Jack is an awesome canopy!

C-ya,

Bryan Stokes

Greg

I find I am adjusting my closing loop length quite often depending on configuration.

BE SURE to check the tension with your rig on, you will be suprised at the difference it makes.

I set my toggles(length) for slider up, allowing myself to make adjustments for slider off. The control range is much greater for my ACE than mojo.
    I tend to fly a lot on front risers, including landing approach, and prefer to have my ACE flying in full flight - a little slack in the brake lines.

I love my ACE, who says BASE canopies can not swoop!

ACE - Blackjack = same canopy (correct me if I am wrong)