Thread: 64 exits in Moab! Can you add to the list? We'll see!

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    clint

64 exits in Moab! Can you add to the list? We'll see!

I will put the names back up!
    GPS and Maps are one thing to post online. Just names are another!
    I don't think it's a big deal at all!
    Whatever, here they are! I have the support from Vertigo and it's their home!

I am collecting data for a project that I'm working on.
    I have put all the LEGAL jumps that I know of on here. DO NOT write the ILLEGAL ones down PLEASE!!!! There in some kind of order. I have come up with 52 jumps. I believe that there is alot more. Lets figure out as many as we can.

I don't know how you could add to this list. IF you have one to add, write it in your post and I'll add it to the list. Don't forget to say location of the jump because it might have been named already.

Vertigo can add a lot more to this list later, just wanted to see what your input is.

Most of you won't know where these are right now but you will in the future.

Spring Canyon has a bunch of jumps but I only know of one.

I put them in this order, if you could call it order. If your coming in from I-70 your first cliff jump is?
    Off of US 191

Chess on the Beach
    Chess on the Rocks
    Rushin it
    Boulder Rush
    A little Bump to pick ‘em up
    The 4 horsemen
    2 new exit points opened up this winter(don’t know the names)
    The Rim Jump
    ----------------------South of Moab
    Backyard jump
    Elvis

Spring Canyon

Utah Claw
    Funky fungi
    Stinky sock
    Cincinnati Zoo
    Punk Rock
    Nothing Yet
    Short Stick

Mineral Bottom
    Mary’s Gash
    Dark Side
    Big Lips(Monkey Lips) whatelse?
    Geronimo(spelling)
    Pucker Factor
    Enterprise
    Sweet Spot
    Wiley Coyote
    Tailgate(not exactly MB)
    Clint & Earls Memorial Cliff
    The Bishop
    Cowabunga:

US 128

G-Spot
    Yellow line?(same as 15min cliff?)
    15min cliff?(same as yellow line?)
    Fisher Towers area
    The Titan,
    Kingfisher
    Ancient art
    Castleton Towers(spelling)
    Negro Bill Canyon

Potash Rd(rt293)
    Wallstreet
    Toybox or Poison Spider

Day Canyon
    Jug Not
    Juggernaut
    The Torch
    Catus Alley
    20+more yet to be jumped/named
    Backslider

Kane Creek
    Electric Chair
    Tombstone
    The Groove
    Crown
    1 more across the parking lot(no name yet)
    Welshman’s Walk or Iguanadon
    Outhouse
    Funky Front
    Echo
    Batchlors Party
    Smokin Joe
    Tiberius
    Bitchin
    Heir of the Dog
    ---------------------other side The Snack Shack Wall
    Cookies ‘n Cream
    Peaches ‘n Cream

Mill Creek
    Oven Roasted Turkey wall or Turkey Baster
    Control Tower
    Walker’s Mill
    Indian Cave.
    The Podium

Spiderbaby

RE: How many exit points are there in Moab?

Ask Jimmy P about "the Piglet" in day canyon and other stuff on Wallstreet and who could forget "Clint and Earls Memorial" cliff waaaay up Mineral Bottom. Good luck Clit, I MEAN Clint!!!

Spank Flailor BASE#637

Site naming?

So what does everybody think about all this site naming?
    I am aware that most of Moab's BLM land is legal ground,
    and also that this is a local Moabite's survey, but......
    I am still curious as to what the rest of the gang think?

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) Faber's Avatar

RE: Site naming?

>So what does everybody think about all this site naming?

a taster to the public media?
    i think it should be hidden.
    Have Fun
    Faber

Being dead but not dead BASE #!
    Nominated by Spiderman...

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

I don't see a problem with it. Hand the information above to a BASE-whuffo and ask them to point to one exit point listed. Other than the one that the competitions were held at, I doubt they would be able to point to any with certainty. Let's just keep more detailed directions and GPS coordinates off the boards.

Mark

clint

Thanks Mark!
    This is the whole purpose of this thread, with a few other things that I'm working on with a friend to help improve Moab. Make it safer!! That's what we need in the sport, don't we? To make it Safer? I just saw the updated Fatality list on Blinc and this has sparked me to try and do something about it. There are so many other exit points our there that most people dont know of. I'm trying to show, in due time, that when you come to Moab, you can pick and choose from the, now 58+ sites, which LOW jump you want to flick off of. When most people come to Moab they always go to the 10 most popular, and you all know which ones they are. I asked that we(BASE)jumpers help Moab grow, as safely as possible. It's the only place left, that it's legal to jump from every day, beside the TF bridge, and that's on shaky ground!

There are probably 500-1000 exit point in all of Moab, don't you want to jump a new site next time your in Moab? Year after Year? OR do you want to hit "the top ten" every time you come. "The top Ten" is great and all but there are so many other spectacular jumps out there. IT's all Legal and naming all the legal sites is to show everyone actually how many exit points there really is.

I posted here because your allowed to post legal names here, dz.com doesnt even allow you to post some legal names. But you cant even say Tombstone over there because they don't want just anyone coming to Moab. But if a BASE jumper wants to come here and he has under the reccommended 30 jumps, that's his choice! The consequences are large. Plus if you said Tombstone is a jump in Moab, and that's it, he probably wouldn't find it anyway.

Like Mark said:
    >Hand the information above to a BASE-whuffo and ask them to point to >one exit point listed.
    >Let's just keep more detailed directions and GPS coordinates off the boards.

Soon you will really see where all this info is going to go!

I will NOT post GPS or maps or any other such things in a public forum!

Thanks for the discussion!

imported_Tom Aiello

>...if a BASE jumper wants to come here and he has under the reccommended 30 jumps, that's his choice!

Clint, were you in Moab a couple years ago, the year that had multiple major accidents? Remember how the local authorities were considering trying to ban jumping? And remember how things cooled way off once beginners got re-directed to TF?

I dunno, man. It's your patch, I guess, but I think that inviting the "Moab Party Crew" (respect, ER), to come and play, and then saying that it's "his choice" to do so with inadequate experience is just a recipe for disaster.

Moab + Beginners = Big Problems.

Moab + Big Problems = No More Moab.

--Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@mac.com

clint

Yes I was here, last year, when a few of the problems happened. I strongly agree that you should NOT be here if you have under 30jumps, maybe it should be 50 as the recommendation. This is my NEW HOME and I intend to keep it that way. Moab shutting down would be very bad for all of us who live here.

I just talked to 2 people last night about this. ONe said they are bring people out with low experience, under 30 jumps. THey know the recommendations and yet no matter what you say or do, they are still going to make their own choice. This other guy just got into BASE and he has 2 antenna jumps and he sent me an email saying I'll see you next month to jump the cliffs out there. I asked him if he plans on doing alot of jumping before he comes out. Responce was "I'll do a few more". So I did my best to scare him and I told him to go to TF and stay there for several days to a week before he even thinks about coming here.

>I dunno, man. It's your patch, I guess, but I think that inviting the "Moab Party Crew" (respect, ER), to come and play, and then saying that it's "his choice" to do so with inadequate experience is just a recipe for disaster.

I guess I'm a little confused to this Tom. I dont want just anyone coming here, especially people under 30 jumps. I understood the above as me inviting inadequate experience? It is his choice and this project when it gets finished you will know just how dangerous it is to be here, jumping in Moab!

imported_Tom Aiello

> Yes I was here, last year, when a few of the problems happened.

I meant back in, was it '99 or 2000? When Earl was posting to this board inviting the "Moab Party Crew" to come on down. And, surprise, there were three or four accidents requiring SAR that year. As I recall, better than half of them involved folks with less than 50 jumps.

>I dont want just anyone coming here, especially people under 30 jumps.

Ah. Perhaps I misunderstood. I had thought the "it's his choice" meant that you didn't mind. If it was me living in that playground I'd be posting things like "experienced jumpers only."

BTW, I've noticed that when I started jumping, Moab was "50 jumps" and now it's "30 jumps". Why'd it get changed?

clint

I'm glad you know that I wouldn't want people here under 30 jumps.
    I never knew it was 50 jumps before but I like it alot. I wan't BASE jumping in '99 2000 and I did't know about all the accidents. I'm still a newbie in many ways.

I hope that it stays legal. I just went to google and typed in BASE
    jumping in Moab and I didn't find anything, map wise.

imported_Tom Aiello

> I just went to google and typed in BASE jumping in Moab and I didn't find anything, map wise.

Try "<insert name of frozen pizza> Moab Utah" or "<insert location of major financial market> Moab Utah".

The first search yields photos of the exit and cliff, clearly showing it as a BASE site. With just a little more digging that leads to a map to the site (from a rock climbing web page).

The second search has lots of photos of the cliff, and, again, a short step to a climbing guide with maps to find it.

If you can't figure out which frozen pizza or financial center, drop me an email, and I'll fill in the blanks for you.

All of those identifiers were drawn from postings here.

--Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@mac.com

motherhucker

yo tom.
    both of those [arguably the best known E's in the area] are very popular and well-known climbing sites--what can we do about that? Nothing.
    If some dipshite hucks themself into a cliff face in Moab because they decided to attempt without proper knowledge/equipment, then we file that under "Darwin Awards." I realize that it reflects badly on us, but there's nothing we can do short of patrolling exit points.

clint

You know what, You will NOT find more than 3 exit points online. If your lucky you can, but the only way you will ever find all the exit points is to see Jimmy/Marta and myself.
    So just naming the exit points don't mean NOTHING to most people!

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

RE: 61 exits in Moab! Can you add to the list? We'll ...

Just 3 to add to the list:

Short Stick: In spring canyon; this was the jump where Earl surprised everyone with a 10 ft (8" wide:o) diving board strapped to the top of a cliff. First jump Feb, 2000.

The Bishop: This is the point north of Wiley. (it looks like the chess piece.) Not easily accessible, some climbing involved. Justin M. tested this one for us, also in Feb 2000. Anyone jumped it since?

Cowabunga: This is also in Mineral, real close to Wiley, about 300' right over the switchbacks. First jumped by either Earl or Skypunk in Feb, 2000.

I wouldn't be surprised if these are already on the list under different names. Back then we were jumping a new site on every other jump. (Thanks, Earl!) Pretty easy to lose track...

Re: 64 exits in Moab! Can you add to the list? We'll see!

I revived this because I got to thinking all the new Moab exit points I keep hearing of, particularly after watching MMK's video in this thread, and seeing that Apex has a new shirt with a bunch of exit points on it.

How many new exit points have been named since this thread originally started? I am not interested in specific lat/long coords or anything (I can get that from locals...), but I would be interested in hearing some of the new names and how/why they got them, particularly if you opened it!