Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recommend helmet?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

RE: recommend helmet?

The Shoei weighs 1500 grams compared to 1100ish grams for a Z1 or Bonehead boomerang at 766 grams;
    So I'm carrying up to 3/4 kilo more than a conventional helmet, but I don't jump with a head mounted camera...

Slider off I've taken it to a long 3.5-4 seconds and had a stiff neck and back for a few days, but regularly do 2-3ish seconds without many problems.

csefy

Hi!

Im not a BASE jumper, I`m a BMXer!
    And I know that those helmets, you`re talking about are sometimes even not enough for BMX!
    And you aren`t at the same speed levels as riders!
    So pls, do not buy TSGs or 661s or Troy Lees for such a hardcore sport
    as you`re involved in!
    My best wishes,

Csefy

motherhucker

Mostr of the protection in a helmet comes from the liner, seconded by the shell. What will do your head the most damage, with the exception of sharp trauma, is the energy attenuation to your brain/head on an impact. The combination of a crumpling shell and good liner is what will do your head the most good in a situation like a cliff strike or similar impact. protec is far and away the best made helmet with regards to the above being jumped today. Gath also has a good liner, but woefully inadequate shell (remember they're made for surfing). I have yet to see a MTB full-face I would want to jump regularly, but am still looking.

Naa mate, sorry to disagree, but the Shoei Z-II meets the Snell M2000 helmet standard and the Protec doesn't.
    A Snell certified helmet is indisputably better in severe impact conditions than one not meeting this standard. In fact, Snell requirements are among the most stringent in the world - much more stringent than the legal D.O.T. standards.

Unfortunately this makes for a heavier bulkier helmet, so I guess it’s a bit of a trade-off between protection and comfort.

motherhucker

read my post mate.
    virtually no-one is *jumping* the Snell and DOT rated motorcycle helmets for the very reasons you mentioned. There is no doubt that a street bike helmet will offer the best protection you can get--

The protec is the best protection offered that is currently BEING JUMPED today. Yes, it's a trade off. Personally, I would rather have good protection and unrestricted movement of my head than bombproof head protection only.
    mh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12