Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what about the dagger?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

what about the dagger?

Hi folks!
    I only see people talking about the fox and the mojo.
    What about the dagger? Is it a piece of #####, or is nobody familiar with it ?

love and peace

RE: what about the dagger?

Hey,

I want to know too! Does anyone know anything about the Dagger?

--Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@ucdavis.edu

Does anyone own a dagger???

We prefer the 12 gauge approach
    Deeper, Longer and quicker penetration

Limping in Portland

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Frank Lepoole has one and several jumps on it. Ask him at vranklp@hotmail.com.

I have one jump with it and opening, flying and landing (no wind) was OK, but as you all know one jump is not enough for judging a canopy.

Ronald

The Dagger rules!

>Hi folks!
    >I only see people talking about
    >the fox and the mojo.
    >
    >What about the dagger? Is it
    >a piece of #####, or
    >is nobody familiar with it
    >?
    >
    >love and peace

Hello inquisitors!
    Here's the scoop on the Dagger:
    Here at the shop we have a saying: The Dagger killed the Dragon. After a long time of frustation dealing with Performance Designs trying to improve some characteristics of the Dragon we discontinued it. During that time we were working on a new project, The Dagger. Since our idea has always been to work with a major canopy manufacturer due to the fact that their methods are state of the art, we approched different canopy manufactures that we liked and chose Precision to be part of the team. After months of testing we were finally extremely satisfied with the final product. The Dagger has proven itself to have very consistent, on heading, and positive pressure openings. The canopy flies very well on rear risers as well as with toggles. The landings have been excellent both straight in and in deep brakes. We have demo Daggers available and have received very positive feedback and sales from people trying out the Dagger. The reason that not too many people have heard about the Dagger, besides it being a fairly new canopy, is that we are not pushing it(advertising, notes on the BASE board, etc...). Why? One of Vertigo's problems is that we seem to put jumping, working, travelling and having fun BASE jumping above everything else, so that our "media" part of the shop is always behind the power curve. No one believes advertising anyway, so we are confident that word of mouth will soon put the Dagger on the map. On this note, we're going for a sunset load in beautiful Moab and everybody is welcome to come out and join us. Demo a Dagger and decide for yourself.

Vertigo Base Outfitters
    1880 S. Highland Dr.
    Moab, Ut. 84532
    (943) 259-1085
    Vertigobase.com

feral

RE: The Dagger rules!

Jimmy can you please tell me why you have a toggle set up with both a pin and a L.R.T set up you can e mail it to me if you want thanks

bsbd feral

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-00 AT 09:09 PM (PST)[/font][p]Jimmy:

I would also be interested in the answer to this question.

Feral:

Are you sure the Vertigo toggle system is set up that way?

The last set I saw (on a Warlock belonging to a deranged Russian), only had the pin--no LRT loop. The pin on that toggle went through the brake set loop directly, which seemed like a pretty good, minimal hang-up system to me (theoretically even better than an LRT, since it has fewer parts to wear, break or jam). I have heard that the top of the pin in this arrangement may increase wear on the brake setting, necessitating relatively frequent (more often than LRT) replacement of the brake setting.

I have also seen risers with a pin and LRT loop together. The ones I saw were made by Gravity Sports. This seems like it would combine the jam-free function of the pin with the low wear setup of the LRT.

If anyone else has any views on which system is the best, I'd be very interested in hearing them. I'm quite confused on this issue myself, and really want to hear what everyone thinks works best (both in theory and practice).

--Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@ucdavis.edu

Hi Tom,
    I can provide some answers to your questions:
    Back in 1989 Consolidated Rigging introduced the BASE risers we still use today. It is a derivavtive of what was in use at the time on tandem gear. In the last year or so this approach has been adopted by others and named the LRT. This system works on the principal of mechanical advantage. The forces at the toggle tip are lowered by means of a lever-i.e the riser mounted brake set loop. The idea was to prevent the high loading generated by a lineover from jamming the toggle. There is adequate friction however to inhibit premature releases.

Pin-style toggles (with no loop) manage the potentially high forces by limiting friction. A small diameter steel pin will slide out from a steering line under quite high loads. This is one of the reasons that this style of toggle slides out unexpectedly. They are known for prematurely releasing. I've seen snaps used to prevent this. Some people hate the idea of using snaps, others don't mind. However, if the snap is not properly located it will do no good anyway so in the field this has been a limited solution.

With exception to those that were not configured correctly, I know of no premature releases on our risers - ever.

Pin style toggles will wear the control line more quickly for two reasons: point loading is higher at the pin because of it's relatively small diameter and pins made from plated wire (most are) have sharp ends which will abrade the line through time.

Construction method is also critical. Geometry, material selection and dimensions can render a good design less effective and visa versa. I have seen pinned toggles that will work better than others, I have seen leverage type toggle/risers that did nothing to reduce forces at the tip.

As always - buyer beware :D

Adam
    Consolidated Rigging, Inc.
    http://www.crmojo.com

Well, comming from a base jumper who has had the unfortunate chance of purchasing a Dragon.... I know what you are gertting at. Fortunately I had the great chance to try the Dagger out in Moab. There is no comparrison!!! The Dagger is a GREAT canopy with flight carachteristics. ratio etc... I jump a Fox and am going to buy a Dagger now for my second rig. They are an amazing base canopy, a lot of work and effort has been inputed into this new parachute.

Happy Groundrush!

Skitzo riser/toggle set up

Hey, sorry about the delay. We were in Colorado without E-mail.
    Both of our riser/toggle set ups incorporate a pin that passes through a loop which is bartacked to the riser behind the guide ring. This loop is necessary to avoid fraying of the brake line. The loop passes through the brake line and then through the guide ring. The pin on the toggle is then inserted into this loop. This system avoids a toggle hang up by virtually eliminating any friction between the toggle and the brake line.
    The system that you are referring to is called the Skitzo. The pin is offset on a standard velcro skydiving toggle with an elastic toggle keeper to avoid premature toggle release.
    Our other set up is called the Syko. This system incorporates the pin at the end of the toggle and has a snap on the toggle 1" below the guide ring and at the top of 4 1/2" of velcro to avoid premature toggle release. The snap set up rules and is our favorite but you must make sure it is kept tight. The rule of thumb is that you should not be able to spin either side with your fingers.
    The pins that we use are the same that can be found on all skydiving pull-out systems. They are not coated wire and are very smooth and burr-free.
    If you have any more questions, the information is on our website or contact us at adrenaline@vertigobase.com
    Thanks for the inquiry.
    Vertigo Base Outfitters

RE: billy boner

why not endorse with Jo Blo, or Jo Ho. What kind of endorsement is signed off anonymously? Is Billy boner working at Vertigo?

>Well, comming from a base jumper
    >who has had the unfortunate
    >chance of purchasing a Dragon....
    >I know what you are
    >gertting at. Fortunately I had
    >the great chance to try
    >the Dagger out in Moab.
    >There is no comparrison!!! The
    >Dagger is a GREAT canopy
    >with flight carachteristics. ratio etc...
    >I jump a Fox and
    >am going to buy a
    >Dagger now for my second
    >rig. They are an amazing
    >base canopy, a lot of
    >work and effort has been
    >inputed into this new parachute.
    >
    >
    >
    > Happy Groundrush!

Not an employee or a human for that matter.

I guess you haven't heard. Billy Bones is the hottest new BASE jumper on the scene. Lee Marcoux was just up at Perrine with us (Marta, Jimmy, Brad Gones the Aussie bastard, John Stark, Chris Judice, Mike Souza, Glenn and Heather Singleman, and Miles the firefightin' helicopter pilot from Cali- the only Twin Falls semi-local.) He borrowed Billy Bones ( A 10" stuffed skeleton dude) from this kid in Florida and is taking him on a cross country road trip. Lee has everyone do a jump with Billy tucked in his chest strap and then you sign his logbook. Billy has like 30 jumps already and is steadily making more. He did a triple with Dwain from Perrine so don't underestimate him. I made a Wizard for him with a 2" zp p/c after the trip and he jumped by himself at Mineral Bottom. By signing the mail Billy Bones, it was an inside joke but the Dagger is not. Ask any of the jumpers mentioned prior or anyone else who has jumped one or has seen one jumped.
    Sincerely, Jimmy Pouchert
    Vertigo Base Outfitters

RE: Not an employee or a human for that matter.

If Billy Bones says the dagger rules then pay attention. He knows what he is talking about. As for myself I found the Dagger great. Nice on heading openings and great landings. As soon as I can afford one I will be sending in my order.

The Aussie Bastard Oi Oi Oi

Hanky Throwers Unite

Is this the same Glenn Singleman about to sacrifice his novice wife for his fifteen minutes of fame?

On Glenn - Look at Me - website:

BASEClimb II - Going Higher - a bold new adventure and film for 2000.

Glenn believes that "anyone who can jump off a chair and pull a handkerchief from their pocket could learn the skills necessary to make a BASEjump from 20,000 feet. The real challenge lies in overcoming mental barriers like self-doubt and fear. After years of issuing the challenge one person has taken him up on it - Glenn's wife Heather.

(Note the subtle re-wording of the above from the repeated slamming he has received from ALL in the Southern Hemisphere.)

In BASEClimb II Dr. Singleman will train Heather (a 37 year old corporate executive) in the mental and physical skills necessary for her to successfully climb and jump from a 6828 metre or 23,000 foot mountain. The jump will break Dr. Singleman's current world record.

Contact Glenn at:

i_killed_my_wife@for_fifteen_minutes_of_fame_.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast