Thread: Why LRT?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

Why LRT?

I recently purchased an old cruiselite to use for water jumps. While I was looking over it, deciding what modifications it needed for BASE, I looked at the riser and toggle setup.

I realized that with the line release mod, I could still use these risers by simply pulling the brake setting through the ring, then sliding the toggle stub through the brake setting. As far as I could tell (in my utterly non-scientific kitchen floor test lab), this set up worked fine. It still allows a release of a lined over steering line and it's still resistant to blown toggles.

So, why do we use LRT (loop-ring-toggle) risers instead of just RT (ring-toggle) risers?

There has to be an answer to this question. Does anyone know it? (I know that CR first brought the LRT setup to BASE--perhaps Adam can enlighten me)

Any help or commentary would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Tom Aiello
    tbaiello@ucdavis.edu

RE: Why LRT?

>So, why do we use LRT
    >(loop-ring-toggle) risers instead of
    >just RT (ring-toggle) risers?

For basically the same reason we use a 3-ring cutaway system and not a 2-ring system: the extra ring (or loop) reduces the force/tension on the cutaway cable (or toggle).

Under high loading (such as a line over situation) the RT (ring-toggle) setup you described could make it impossible to release the brakes.

It's pretty easy to demonstrate if you pack both ways and then load the brake line hard and then try to pop the brakes.

At a recent jump at the Perrine Bridge, taking about a 2-3 second delay with no slider, I ended up losing a toggle. After some evaluation of my pack I realized that I had not properly stowed my toggles,LTR. I had run the tip of my toggle through the brake set loop and then the elastic keeper. I was rather surprised when I went for my toggles and I had nothing in my left hand. I guess a lot of factors played into this, being 6'4" 225lbs and the opening force. Tom I don't know if this answers your question but this was my experience with RT vs LTR. I'm not sure if this would happen again but I wouldn't want to take that chance.

I had a Cruislite for a long time. At first it didn't flair very well. I had a rigger add a 4th cascade on the steering lines and it flaired 100% better. I would definatly recomend it. Have fun brother!!!! Jeffy

I jumped a Cruiselite for a number of years and agree they should be confined to water jumps. After a few hard landings and snivels, mine is now a "water-only" system.
    As for the toggle stowing method you describe, I did it that way for years with no problems, loaded or not. There were no LRT toggles when I did it this way either.
    I have also heard of the 4th cascaded brake line concept and agree that it would be most helpful, as folding the tail of a Cruislite near the brakelines can be very messy and unconventional. If this is a water-only rig, I'd try 'er as she is for now.

Jason Bell
    Vertical Visions (formerly 321CYA Productions)
    fixed@321cya.com