Thread: Pin Rig PC hesitation

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

Pin Rig PC hesitation

I heard second hand that an individual almost had a full-on PC in tow at Perrine with a pin rig. I didn't personally see it. It was during the performance of an aerial (gainer, I believe). He pitched normally, perhaps with a somewhat vertical body position, and towed the PC in a stand-up position for well over a second before whatever was bound up serendipitously released, resulting in many an Oh-sh!t from knowledgeable onlookers.

I heard the cause was attributed to a closing loop being too long? I don't understand how that could cause that kind of hesitation, but I'm hoping someone closer to the incident can explain it here.

Thanks

RE: Pin Rig PC hesitation

The jumper in question was jumping un-packed rigs all day. I feel the reason for this pilot chute in tow, was because he forgot how to pack!!
    -TODD

BTT

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

I was on top and watched this jump. I just got back from TF last night and haven't reviewed the video since that day, but my recollection is that the delay came out to about a 1-1/2 and he trailed the PC in a vertical position for another 1-1/2.

It did not appear to be a "burble" issue. The pilot chute inflated normally and stayed inflated through his "ride". I think it was a 42" PC and it was determined that closing loops were on the tight side.

Mark &-)

one or two pin rig?

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Closing loopS = 2 pin

Huckin Idiot

Hey Freaks,
    It was me who had that pc in tow. Yea, you guys got it right. 2 pin rig, 42 inch pc. Either the closing loops were too tight or my container is too small for my canopy. It has a very big logo with two layers of material to make the logo. When I made the next jump on that rig I loosened the closing loops a lot but all that did was spread out the container flaps so that they barley even touched each other. The container was still tight and so were the closing loops. (I used a 46 that time) Of course there is also the possiblity that the cause was something else. I haven't yet spoken to the manufacturer or people with more experience than me to get more ideas.
    When the pin finally did pop on that jump (was doing a gainer) it did so after I completed a full rotation, waited for canopy, overrotated, started freaking, yelled FU(K!, and then rolled out of everything to the side. It could have been the extra air speed or it could have been the roll off to the side which changed the way the pin was getting pulled. I don't know. I'm betting it was the loud FU(K! that scared my pin into releasing.
    By the way I sure would love to have the video of that jump. I forgot to fire it when we were there. Anyone know who has it? What about that Aussi chick. What was her name? Brenda from Perris?
    Please email me
    mcconkey@ltol.com

I'm 99% sure I have video of it.

You can reach me at 206.251.6334. This sounds exactly like something I got on video about a month ago, but was unsure of who the jumper was.

Re's

-Scott