Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kjerag Incident

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    K

Kjerag Incident

Bad news everyone. I just got a call from Norway that there's been another accident at Kjerag. It was a wingsuit jump off the #4 exit point. There are no facts to be shared at this time; the next of kin needs to be notified and the jumper's condition needs to be confirmed. As soon as details are available and cleared for release there will be more posts.

Be safe, everyone.

Peace, love, and heartfelt condolences...

Karen Thomas

Yuri

RE: Kjerag Incident

I am so sorry... no words left now.

bsbd!

Yuri.

jk

another sad day...

please be safe out there

condolences to his friends and family

d-dog

This is truly sad news - we again offer our condolences to friends, family, and loved ones. It has been a long, hard, painful summer for so many of us.

Peace,

D-d0g
    ddog@wrinko.com
    www.wrinko.com

The jumper is confirmed dead. A helicopter brought the jumper down from the cliff.

Another sad day in Norway...

Atle Dahl

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

This is sad news indeed...

I made four wingsuit jumps from exit point 4 just a month ago, so this news hits close to home.

I'd appreciate hearing the details as soon as its appropriate.

Mark Sheehan

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Bad news. My sincerest condolences.

This is the second wingsuit BASE fatality in just over a week. Is this going to be our next biggest danger? As someone who's looking to do his first wingsuit BASE jump soon, it makes me think...

BSBD

It was a 30 year old american Base-jumper that was killed during a wingsuit jump from exit #4 in kjerag, Norway.

kondolances to friend and familiy

-Stormrider-

I'm afraid to even ask the name...

This year sucks.

My thoughts are with family and friends.

Sympathetically,

Skin.

very sad indeed. what's the deal people? is Mick going to have to develop the fatality button on the front of the base board for convenience?

Jesus.... this is very sad news.
    I am lost for words too...

I'm sorry to hear about the accident in Kjerag. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

It has been a dark year ...

PerFlare
    Member Team Bautasten

My dear friend! I lost my words on the way too the board. My heart is bleeding! I will always remember your spirit, and caindness! I tried too warn you, but you wanted to live it the hole way!

My thought goes too the family

Will carry the memories with me

OK. These are the facts. I was there. I videoed the jump. I jumped with the deceased continually for the past 12 months. I was his instructor and friend.

Knowing that I was a BASE instuctor, Rob Tompkins came to me 12 months ago with 9 BASE jumps over the previous 2 years and ended his life with 242 BASE jumps. He wanted to learn about BASE jumping and how to be safe, even though he was the kind of guy who loved to push the limits. On his first BASE jump at Bridge Day 1999 he did a double gainer. Ok, it was supposed to be a laid out single, but it turned into a double - which he controlled very nicely.

Anyway, we jumped together all the time. We made trips to OR, AZ and UT, and jumped together in LA and other sites in CA. In June we went to Norway, Switzerland, and Italy together. In Switzerland, Rob discovered BASE wingsuit flying. Since then he had made 92 Birdman Skyflyer wingsuit BASE jumps - he was the most current wingsuit BASE jumper in the world. He loved the wingsuit, even though he was an excellent aerialsit, doing half twist reverse gainers with a double front (and with style) without any training, when he did not have the wingsuit on.

Rob was a natural! Rob wanted to show the world his talent. Rob wanted to do things nobody could do. He practiced every day. Flying from exit point #8 in Kjearg. Flying to the cafe from the Katthammeran. On nearly every wingsuit jump Rob did this summer, he did a reverse gainer - this was the most comfortable exit for him - and he did it well - quick and precise - getting the suit flying quickly.

Today was the most perfect day I have seen in Lysebotn this season. The skies were completely clear. There was no wind. There was a chill in the air, but when the sun hit you, it was warm. Rob jumped at a time when there was sun lighting the wall he planned to fly across. It was beautiful.

For the last month, Rob had his eye on a particualr jump between #4 and #5. Together we had looked at the jump, doing rock jumps and basically studying the jump. There are two other exit points next to this particular jump - one with a 7 second to impact rock drop and another with an 8 second to impact rock drop. Rob did the exit point with a 7 second rock drop about 8 or 10 times - always doing a reverse gainer. He was convinced he could do the jump with a 5 second rock drop - what he called the "RT Hjørner" - after a reverse gainer exit. Together we analyzed the "RT Hjørner" on video and with other wingsuit pilots. In my opinion, the jump was not acheiveable - and I repeated this to him as well. Other wingsuit pilots (who will remain nameless) repeated this same notion. As I said before, Rob believed he could pull it off. Today, Rob Tompkins believed was his day to pull off this jump.

After 7 seconds of freefall, Rob impacted on the talus ledge. He never tried to deploy his pilot chute, knowing that this would not save him. Rob believed he could outfly the ledge - til his death.

The recovery of his body was quick, easy, and did not cause much of a hassle - just as he would have wanted it. Rob never wanted other people to go out of thier way for him. Rob always gave full respect to everyone he met - as long as I knew him. This was one of the reasons I wanted to get to know him, because from the first time I met him I could tell he respected me. He respected everyone for who they were. In my opinion, he was a good man - full of respect, kind to everyone, funny, and positive.

Rob will be missed by many. My condolences go out to his family and friends around the world.

Rob will be missed...

JJ

K

Thank you Jim.

Rob, I knew you were special from the first time I saw you at Perris Valley Skydiving. You were happy, friendly, outgoing, peaceful, loving your life and all you were doing. It was so nice to meet a great skydiver/freeflyer that didn't think he was too good to be helpful and friendly to every jumper that spoke to him. Even though you were a better jumper than most, you never acted as if you were.

After several conversations both at the dz and here at BR, I gained even more respect for you as I began to understand your values. You and I shared the belief that BASE jumping is the most spiritual of all the parachuting disciplines, as we accept that we can meet our Maker on each and every jump. I was especially touched by your support of women in this sport, when you pointed out that a girl on a BASE trip is in the best of hands: four or five (or eight) brothers there to watch out for her and keep her safe. Just knowing that a man could have such acceptance and lack of jealousy was inspirational to me.

How many mental images do I have of you, gearing up for you next jump, joyfully sharing the video in the packing area, juggling things for the kids' entertainment, or rolling around with Cloud on the grass? Church on Sunday at the Pet Rock was always better when you were on the load. Then there was the day I almost got 86'd from the gym because I was swearing a blue streak as I watched you be arrested on the TV news. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

When I saw you in Norway this July, you told me you'd come home. I completely understand that sentiment! I guess that was truer than we knew...as it turns out, you were home to stay. I wish I had spent more time talking with you there, but I'm glad we shared a couple of meals and some laughs. I wish I had told you how impactful your attitude was for me, how I wished there were more men like you in skydiving, BASE jumping, and in the world at large.

Thank you for being such a great person. You are going to be missed incredibly by everyone in this dried up town. Words just can't express the joy at having known you, the sadness at your passing, or the peace in knowing YOU KNOW.

Much love,
    Karen

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast