Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Kjerag Incident

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

RE: Kjerag Incident / little bird

>I have known Rob for the past 2 years and in
    >that time he has touched my life and the others
    >we worked with in an enormouslly posative way.
    >He was a kind and compationate person whose meer
    >presence in the room made you feel good about
    >life. I'm just sad that his life was cut so
    >short that he could not have touched more
    >peoples lives the way he touched mine. He has
    >inspired me to live my life to the max and not
    >take anything for granted. I can live happy
    >knowing that he lived his life to the fullest,
    >pushing the envelope and going out on a jump. I
    >can honestly say he lived his life with no
    >regrets. He is greatlly missed. Fly free
    >forever Rob.

Blue skies
    shining on me
    nothing but blue skies
    from now on…

My family sends great love and condolence to Robert’s family and friends all over the world. His untimely death has turned us inside out with grief. We’re grateful he was a part of us, for his existence was indeed…a beautiful life, and one much loved!

I met Robert in ’94. He became the love of my life, and best friend I ever had…we lived, worked, and played together in the beautiful finger lake region of central New York from the time he moved up from Florida until he left for California to pursue his wildest dreams. We had so much fun working with our friends, comrades, and his beloved sister Melissa at MacKenzie-Childs, Ltd. -- earning a living at this magical design studio perched on the shores of Cayuga Lake, surrounded by all sorts of eccentric ideas, talented people, saturated colors and shapes of every sort. Everyone who knew Robert admired his charisma, work ethic, humor, courage, and moral fiber - his laughter and smile were highly contagious. He was the most handsome man in the world to me, I loved how his wild, exotic look contradicted the well bred, polite and soulful gentleman he was on the inside. Robert was a young, happy agent of the free – working hard and playing even harder. The golden rule was the only rule Rob would never dream of bending. Before he focused himself to become a hard-core sky-diver…. we relished many simple pleasures in life; cruising on his Harley-Davidson Sportster around meandering country roads, hiking gorges, swimming and sailing Sunfish towards late afternoon shafts of light, horseback riding over the fields and through the woods (Mom’s gelding War Paint Skip was Rob’s favorite steed – he’d giddy’ up, gallop around singing “Happy Trails” at the top of his lungs, while I chased after on my mare Bailey’s Autumn Wind…laughing hysterically, eating his dust and loving every minute of it.) Robert taught me a lot in our handful of years together; self-defense, how to play chess, and drive standard….but, most importantly, he taught me how to step outside of myself…to be attentive to the facets of detail that form a more brilliant bigger picture. I was there to cheer for Robert when he made his first jump in ’97 at the Finger Lakes Skydiving Club in Ovid, NY. I watched him jump nearly every weekend after, that NY weather permitted…mesmerized…it was clear he had found his passion, and an exalted bliss. If you truly love something, set it free….and I did. I smiled and kissed him and waved until he blended into the horizon when he headed to the west coast to ‘take it to the next level.’ The love and adventure we shared formed a jeweled chrysalis charm that I dangle in my heart. You have permeated my life…I will see you in every bird and butterfly in my perennial garden, in every smiling child’s face, in all the stunning sunsets and skyscapes…you are all around.

We will always love you Robert Edward Tompkins!!!!

Heather Bruno-Sears, Reggie, Debbie, and Patience Sears, Skip, Windy, Willie, and all the rest of our menagerie in Skaneateles, New York

RE: Kjerag Incident

I met Rob when I was about 6. He was the coolest guy I had ever met, not to mention I thought he was such a rebel cuz he had Tattoos. Well now Im 15, and i still remember him. He was great friends with my family, and great friends with me. I remember the days when he would stop by just to say hi, I remember his smile, the way he laughed, even the way he would look at me weird when I told a blonde joke. He was the coolest person I knew. I witnessed his very first tandon jump in Ovid New York. Then my family and I returned many times to watch him do more jumps. We also witnessed his very first single jump. It was amazing, he was fearless, just happy as can be, never had worries. Thats what always made me worry. I remember the last time I saw him was about 3 weeks b4 he left for norway. I made him promise me not to do anything stupid, but then I remembered who i was talking to.:P I made him promise me that we would come back to see me and tell me he set the world record he was going for. He promised, but never made it back. We were out on my front porch with my mom, dad and brother, and he told me that he was going to try to set this record. Well i told him he was insane, and that he was awesome. I remember the last time i saw him smile. He was the most beautiful person in the world, its hard to think that hes now gone. But he will never be forgotten, he earned a place in my heart, and he will always be there. Mr. and Mrs Tompkins, you had a wonderful son. He will never be forgotten. Rob you are in my heart forever......

When Im Gone

When I come to the end of my journey,
    and travel my last weary mile,
    Just forget that I ever frowned
    And only remember my smile.
    Forget unkind words I have spoken;
    Remember some good i have done.
    Forget that I ever had heartache
    And remember Ive had loads of fun.
    Forget that Ive stumbled and blundered
    And sometimes fell by the way,
    Remember I have fought some hard battles
    And won, ere the close of the day.
    Then forget to grieve for my going,
    I would not have you sad for a day,
    But in the summer just gather some flowers
    And remember the place where I lay.
    And come in the shade of the evening,
    When the sun paints the sky in the west,
    Stand for a few moments beside me,
    and remember only my best.

Dedicted to Robert E. Tompkins, we love you and miss you.

I will love you forever, and i will never, ever forget you....Your smile will last in my memory for a lifetime.

Always and Forever,
    Alisha M. Dymond

I found out about Rob last Friday and have read all of these messages several times. I am responding to this one, because ever since I found out I have been singing "I'll fly away" to myself, which is also included on the "O Brother" sountrack. I had no idea that this was something Rob listened to and I take comfort in knowing that it's a beautiful song he is familiar with. I met Rob in High School when I was a freshman and he was an "intimidating" senior. During my freshman fall semester of college I connected with him again after he returned from the army. We spent some great, though short times together. I went on the best hikes of my life with him. I'll never forget the first time we went and as soon as there was an open space he started doing flips all over the place from a standing position. He also taught me how to jump and to create paths. The last day I spent with him was one of the best of my life. I feel so lucky to have shared a bit of his life with him. After the last time I saw him I would often think about him- I'd look up at ceilings or the sky and picture that warm and beautiful smile. I am glad that I can still do that and know he continues to soar through the sky.
    This morning I woke up and thought of the book "The Little Prince", which is the most pure and profound stroy about friendship and love. I recommend that all of you in the world who knew Rob pick it up and read it. Here is just one wee passage that will always remind me of the eternal youth, beauty and warmth of Robert E. Tompkins:
    "And at night you will look up at the stars... My star will be just one of the stars, for you. And so you will love to watch all the stars in the heavens...
    In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night... You -- only you will have the stars that can laugh! ... And when your sorrow is comforted (time soothes all sorrows) you will be glad to have known me. You will always be my friend. You will want to laugh with me...."
    My thoughts go out to his family- you had an amazing son, to his close friends and to all others who had a chance to experience him, even if for a short while. To all of the BASE jumpers out there, please be careful and enjoy every second of it.

-Ilka Pritchard

I also knew Rob from our MacKenzie-Childs days, though ultimately, not as well as many of the rest of you. It didn't take long to realize that Rob was a pretty special person. I liked him.

To Heather, Melissa, and all the others who were closest, you have my most heartfelt sympathies.

Park
    rparker@adelphia.net

Hello all, just got word that this was set up. I was there on that beautiful day when Rob died. I am not a base jumper, I was just the boat driver that day. Me and my friend were travelling about and met the jumpers at Lysebotn. Before we knew it we were out there driving the boat (under Rob's instruction-its a cazy boat!) and picking up the boys off the beach. In the short time we knew him he left a great impression. It is tragic he died but the only sense I can see in it is that he died doing what he loved.
    My thanks go to JJ, darcy and Lysebotn camping for dealing with the incident in a very human, professional, and calm manner. It made it much easier to deal with. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. I have some photos getting developed of our days in Lysebotn. Rob will be in there somewhere. If anyone wants copies get in touch.
    Jumpers- please be careful out there.

Peace Rob.

Steve Willis

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Pictures from Rob's memorial:

http://www.sidsrigging.com/Rants/rants.htm

BSBD

Slava

Rob...

feral

JJ man sorry to hear this F u Ck !!!

I am so glad i got to met Rob he was a funny cool guy ..

One of the funnyest times on this years holiday was the walk back from Smell you me and seven When robs Quote "My passion is human flight" was repeated many times with much laugher we even came up with a pole for best Quote The "turd in the world" and the one from base climb I think Robs won ..

My condolences to everyone who ever met Rob his family friends and jumping mates all over the world..

bsbd feral

:-(

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456