Thread: Super Mushroom

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    RB

RE: Super Mushroom

newbie here, 2 Qs
    1. why is this supermushroom not good for PCs with handle?
    2. I read somewhere here that all base PC packs should have the center line streched and in the supermushroom the center line is not

thanks

>For all of you who have been asking me to post some pictures
    >of the Super Mushroom, it is done.
    Yes, it was me.
    It is exactly what I was looking for. Now everything is clear.

Just one question. When you say "If I am going hand-held, sometimes I will pull the Super Mushroom out of the BOC at the exit point and keep it together to use hand-held (make sure the bridle is clear)", I understand that you use the supermushroom ALSO when you go for an aggressive "jump-and-throw" handheld jump (I would tend to use it in the "launch-PC-above-exit-point-technique", that makes the PC to be launched upwards in a way to have same PC well above exit point WITH bridle stretched).
    So, basically (correct me if I am wrong), you keep the same supermushroom packing ALSO when you go handheld.
    But in this case, what do you do with s-folded bridle?
    When I go with normal handheld jumps, I s-fold both PC and bridle, keeping s-folds of bridle against the palm of my hand and above I place s-folds of PC.
    When you go handheld with your supermushroom, do you keep the s-folded bridle INSIDE the supermushroom itself or you take out of the supermushroom packed PC just the s-folded bridle and keep all the rest of supermushroom inaltered?
    In any case, thanks so much for your post and your supermushroom photos.
    You know, Johnny, that you are one of my BASE heroes (and of my group also), yes?!?!?!?
    My heroes being: first place: BASE #657 (not famous worldwide but he is my mentor and best friend); second place ex-aequo: Mark Hewitt, Todd S., Adam F., Frankie G., Dwain W., Johnny Utah W., Tom A., Anne H., Marta E., Jimmy P., D-dog, Avery B., Crwper, BASE #570 (Spence), M. (German jumper) and few other chaps. Of course, my jumping mates are included in the above ex-aequo second place.

See you soon

Stay safe out there
    Blue Skies and Soft Walls
    BASE #689 :D
    e-mail: base_689@yahoo.com

imported_Johnny Utah

Super Mushroom

For all of you who have been asking me to post some pictures of the Super Mushroom, it is done. You can find it in the Library section of my website.

http://johnnyutah.com

Enjoy! :)

Have fun, don't die!
    Johnny Utah

johnny@johnnyutah.com

imported_Johnny Utah

I used to worry about the center-line years ago and as an added precaution I would pull about half of the center-line into the mesh fold and leave the rest in the rip-stop fold. My concern was that the centerline might be able to create some kind of tension knot on itself. By isolating half of it in the mesh and the other half in the rip-stop it creates two shorter lengths. My thought was that it would be less possible for a shorter length to knot on itself than a longer length. I still believe that to be true but after years of considering it I now feel comfortable leaving the center-line in the rip-stop fold; however, positioning (laying) it in a way whereby it is not lying on itself or twisted on itself. During step 1, look at the positioning of the center-line, consider it, think about how to lay it clean so it cannot knot on itself or hitch around anything. (This is a great reason to NOT use the Super Mushroom on a PC with a handle in it). Now with the center-line positioned in a horse-shoe shape off to one side of the cap, when you grab your nug and flip it over the center-line is not going anywhere. It should stay right there to one side in the rip-stop fold. When thrown, as the PC expands open, the center-line becomes extended simultaneously.

For me, the risk of having a hesitation with the regular mushroom scares me more than the remote chance of anything weird happening with the center-line. By carefully positioning the center-line while packing the Super Mushroom, I think the chances of anything weird happening with the center-line diminish.

Have fun, dont die!
    Johnny Utah

johnnyutah101@hotmail.com

imported_Johnny Utah

>So, basically (correct me if I am wrong), you keep the same
    >supermushroom packing ALSO when you go handheld.

Sometimes. Sometimes I use a handheld version of the regular mushroom.

>When you go handheld with your supermushroom, do you keep
    >the s-folded bridle INSIDE the supermushroom itself or you
    >take out of the supermushroom packed PC just the s-folded
    >bridle and keep all the rest of supermushroom inaltered?

I think either way is fine. What I usually do when going handheld with the Super Mushroom is this: I take it out of the BOC and extract enough bridle to give me a little slack at arm extension. The rest of the bridle I leave in the packed Super Mushroom (with nothing to restrict the bridle from coming out freely). I route the bridle across my palm and between my thumb and index finger like normal.

>In any case, thanks so much for your post and your
    >supermushroom photos.

Youre welcome. :-)

Have fun, dont die!
    Johnny Utah

johnnyutah101@hotmail.com