Thread: Target Fixation

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    zennie

Target Fixation

It happens in BASE too.

This is probably the most embarassing & downright STUPID thing I've done to date, but I think there are some lessons that might be useful to others.

Me and two friends (one I've been mentoring) go to one of our favorite local elevator towers. I've jumped the thing numerous times so I'm very familiar with the tower & the environment.

Normally the landing area is wide open, but there has been a fair amount of construction activity as of late so there is a lot of equipment strewn across the landing area. Per usual I set out a red glowy to mark the boundary of the equipment and "safe" area.

The jump was fairly uneventful. However I was jumping an older secondary rig that I rarely use because I hate the way the thing opens (wanted to do 2 that night).

Tried to set up an approach, but the thing flies like a dog and I didn't like what I was seeing so I opted for a nice clearing off to the side.

One small problem... the bottom guy stood between me and the clearing. I was so fixated on setting up for the clearing and avoiding barbed wire that I didn't pay attention to where the guys were. By the time I saw it, it was too late to do anything to avoid it.

Nose clipped the guy, partially deflated and started diving. I decided to ditch trying to flare with the toggles go hard on rear risers at the last second to try and get it to plane out a bit and allow me to PLF. That seemed to work well.

So my only injury was a severely bruised ego. But the lesson learned was twofold:

1. As obvious an obstacle as guy wires are, sometimes the obvious can be what you forget as time passes... particularly when it's dark out;
    2. Even if the guy attaches at 300 at the tower, it's a LOT lower the further out you go... making it a much greater hazard at what you might think is a "safe" altitude.

Yes this is all obvious. But I figured I'd share so that the next time all of us go out, it might be closer to the forefront of our mind rather than tucked away in the back somewhere.

Be safe all!

BTW, I'm trying to do my part to make the two forums operate the way they were originally intended... strictly BASE stuff here & skydiver Q&A regarding BASE at dz.com.
    Last edited by zennie; July 26th, 2004 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typos

BLiNC Magazine Founder mknutson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Target Fixation

I really appreciate the support!
    Quote Originally Posted by zennie
    BTW, I'm trying to do my part to make the two forums operate the way they were originally intended... strictly BASE stuff here & skydiver Q&A regarding BASE at dz.com.

Rambobase

how common are wire strikes on an "A"? I have not heard or seen much info on this, which is good, but was curious to know if this is very infrequent or what?

BLiNC Magazine Founder mknutson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have heard of many. Mostly to do with poor tracking/low 'A's, then off heading openings. I think there was a Norwegian incident last year where the girl was hung up on the wire. She was ok though. It might just seem infrequent, because how many people do you see posting an accident report of a wire stike? Especially if nobody died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambobase
    how common are wire strikes on an "A"? I have not heard or seen much info on this, which is good, but was curious to know if this is very infrequent or what?

Tom Aiello

There's some nice video of a wire strike in Oregon on (I think) one of the Aussie vids (maybe FFoF111?). The canopy is fully bow tied around the wire, and the jumper is just along for the ride (since this was like his 3rd parachute jump, he'd have been along for the ride, anyway, methinks).

The thing I noticed is that it's freakin' _loud_. The whole cable and tower are twanging and thrumming.

Yes I remember that night well.
    It was Cliff Ryder's new student program.
    He put the guy off the Tower with no
    Skydive experience.
    He Brain-Locked, with a 90 deg. off heading
    and flew into the Wire.
    I had never heard a sound like that before
    the Guy Wire twanged. Like a rubber Band
    on Steroids. It was a very cool sound.
    Also very freaky, We hung the canopy up
    later at the DZ. There were no burns or
    cuts to be found anywhere.