Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BASE 1000 - Are we nearly there yet?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) fastpete's Avatar

Re: BASE 1000 - Are we nearly there yet?

my friend just got 964....

Fu...ck the FIIIIINNNS !!!

FastPete 844

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) devo's Avatar

A buddy of mine just got his today Dec 24th and he's BASE 975
    Skin this is Kevin in WV, Lets get together with Jimmy and make
    some jumps.
    BASE 836

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) JeNnEjEnN's Avatar

yup, I got mine too. 974
    Jen

what we at in awarded numbers? I know there were enough to go over 1000 - but what has been awarded so far? Did a UKer get the 999 in the end?

> What we at in awarded numbers?
    Number #984 has been officially awarded last week to an Italian jumper (word B.A.S.E. closed end of first week of December 2004).
    Stay Safe Out There
    Blue Skies and Soft Walls
    BASE #689

Whenever the subject of the BASE numbers comes up, someone always mentions the validity of their overall importance. Fair enough.

When I look at the names and numbers on the BASE list, here's what I see . . .

I see nothing less than the journey of a thousand like-minded individuals. By just looking at a simple number I can see, almost feel really, all the drama that went into staking that number. I can sense all the anticipation, fear, joy, and reward. I can spend a moment remembering many who embarked on the journey and never finished it. Either by quitting or failing.

I can see justification for an idea Carl Boenish had in 1981 when he started issuing sequential BASE numbers. And, I can see the numbers as a way of measuring, at least the history, if not the actual growth of the sport. The most important BASE number is the rolling BASE number. At any one point in time there are only so many active BASE jumpers in the world. I've always figured that number is around double what shows up at Bridge Day every year.

We are at a point in BASE history when the longest living BASE number holder is still BASE number one. But, it won't always be that way. In a single lifetime BASE number one through one thousand will be dead and gone, and the BASE number list will be our founding history.

Sure, it's cool not to apply for a BASE number, it may even say something about the very nature of BASE jumpers going their own way, but the BASE number list is important. And yes, it's mostly in a personal way. But, don't lose sight of the original prize; don't ever forget how truly amazing BASE jumping is as a human accomplishment. It's not so much when you got on the list, but the fact you got on it at all . . .

NickD
    BASE 194

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) Faber's Avatar

My BASE # were one of the biggest things i ever wanted,as i got it i found out that its a simple #,But its a # that has a storry,to get that goal no matter which reasson why you wanted your BASE#...

as to me BASE 850 is a simple # but im also a simple person

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) diesel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_D
    Sure, it's cool not to apply for a BASE number, it may even say something about the very nature of BASE jumpers going their own way,
    I couldn't agree more... Altho there is a BASE community and strong bonds amongst its member, BASE (to me) is like SURF in its early days (at last) - a personal way to enjoy yourself and to push your limits. If one day you succeed in surfing JAWS, knowing you are surfer # XXXX doesnt really matter to you... you've done it, for yourself.

but the BASE number list is important. And yes, it's mostly in a personal way. But, don't lose sight of the original prize; don't ever forget how truly amazing BASE jumping is as a human accomplishment. It's not so much when you got on the list, but the fact you got on it at all . . .

NickD
    BASE 194
    I am one object short. Am I gonna rush into making that extra jump just to get my BASE #? Nope.
    I am lucky enuff to travel the world and jump what I can, when I can. I don't ask for much more, but then again, like NickD said, it's mostly personal.
    -- Diesel

Are we there yet

Joy said, in a post about a month ago, "We should be there."

She holds up assigning BASE numbers to applications she receives for 30 days so mail from the rest of the world can catch up. But, she also mentioned from the looks of the pile she's waiting to process, there are already enough to reach one thousand. We should hear something soon.

Carl Boenish would have loved this . . .

NickD
    BASE 194

> ...there are already enough to reach one thousand. We should hear something soon
    Let's see, number 984 being issued on word B.A.S.E. closed at the end of first week of December 2004, in the last year they closed the word about 100 BASE jumpers, that makes an average rate of 2 jumpers (closing the word) per week (at the times my mate (658) and I (689) closed the word (end 2000-mid 2001), the average was of only 1 BASE jumper (closing the word) per week).
    If world BASE jumpers are keeping the same average as per last year, two months (as of today 8 feb 2005) after 984 completion make 8 weeks, that makes 16 additional jumpers closing the word, 984 + 16 = 1000, so BASE jumper #1000 (if everything goes as the average) should be a jumper that closes the word around these days, 8 feb 2005, add the 30 days rules to assign officially a BASE number: Joy should appoint officially #1000 around the end of first week of March 2005 (perhaps earlier... ).
    I am just wondering which country the BASE jumper #1000 will belong to...

Yes, indeed, Carl Boenish would have loved so much this . . .
    Stay Safe Out There
    BASE #689

Hello there.
    By chance, has Mr. BASE #1000 already been officially appointed?
    I mean, has Mr. BASE #1000 already received THE letter from Rick?
    It would be WAY COOL by Mr. BASE #1000 if he/she could post, of course not details, but at least country of belonging and date of completion
    Hope reading news about such a milestone jolly soon
    Stay Safe Out There
    BASE #689

Quote Originally Posted by BASE_689
    Hello there.
    It would be WAY COOL by Mr. BASE #1000 if he/she could post, of course not details,
    Hell yeah, we want all the details . . .

NickD
    BASE 194

Mr. BASE #1000
    Maybe she's not posting because you keep calling her "Mr."

<gd&r>

> Maybe she's not posting because you keep calling her "Mr."
    OK. Here we go, let's see if the following is more appropriate.

Hello there.
    By chance, has Mr/Mrs/Miss BASE #1000 already been officially appointed?
    I mean, has Mr/Mrs/Miss BASE #1000 already received THE letter from Rick?
    It would be WAY COOL by Mr/Mrs/Miss BASE #1000 if he/she could post, of course not details, but at least country of belonging and date of completion
    Hope reading news about such a milestone jolly soon
    Stay Safe Out There
    BASE #689

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast