Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BASE 1000 - Are we nearly there yet?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    jgladish

Re: BASE 1000 - Are we nearly there yet?

Ok I have an update. About 1 1/2 months ago after 12 years of BASE and 350 jumps I finally jumped a building and recieved BASE #992. So close to 1000 I can taste it! Thanx to everyone who made that jump possible! Jeff

I finally jumped a building and recieved BASE #992.
    This is close............ so very close.........

MDKS

if the weather permits, i will qualify next friday night.
    please,give me the #999.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

I took out Rob from Vancouver to get his final jump, an E. We jumped Saturday Morning 3/12/05 about 10:00am PST. I don't think he has submitted for the number yet, but is getting his list together to send in to Joy. closer and closer...

> About 1 1/2 months ago after 12 years of BASE and 350 jumps I finally jumped a building and received BASE #992.
    Congratulations indeed Jeff!!!!!!
    Let's see: end of first quarter of December: #984
    End of January: #992
    An average of (about) one word closed per week (...uhhmmm, blokes/ladies went jolly slowlier than last year average).
    At such a pace, Mr/Mrs/Miss #1000 should do his/her qualification jump about end on March, so we are really, really close....
    Look forward to read Mr/Mrs/Miss #1000 writing down his/her achievement very soon
    Stay Safe Out There
    Blue Skies and Soft Walls
    BASE #689

JaapSuter

In this post http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/foru...01000;#1412955 Joy mentions that they have enough applications to go beyond a 1000 already. So I am assuming that number 1000 is already known.

MDKS

Quote Originally Posted by JaapSuter
    In this post http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1412955;search_string=base%201000; #1412955 Joy mentions that they have enough applications to go beyond a 1000 already. So I am assuming that number 1000 is already known.
    maybe joy's post means only:
    safety first! don't do stupid things only to get a 3-digit number!
    otherwise Jeff is a liar...
    time will bring truth.

Quote Originally Posted by JaapSuter
    In this post http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/foru...01000;#1412955 Joy mentions that they have enough applications to go beyond a 1000 already. So I am assuming that number 1000 is already known.
    Based on what Joy has posted in the past, she holds the applications for a month or so before issuing a number just to ensure accuracy. So while she has sufficient applications to guarantee that 1000 is about to be awarded, she may not yet know who will get the number.

rl

> Based on what Joy has posted in the past, she holds the applications for a month or so before issuing a number just to ensure accuracy. So while she has sufficient applications to guarantee that 1000 is about to be awarded, she may not yet know who will get the number.
    I do believe Joy, but there is something I do not understand.
    How is it possible to match these two facts:
    1) Jeff completed the word end of January, getting #992 (lets' suppose he mailed the letter the following day, Joy waited 30 days to issue the number (but #992 still "belongs" to end of january), it makes end of february, beginning of march, Jeff informs us of his achievement mid of march, it makes sense).
    2) Joy on 31st december 2004 writes: "There are enough numbers pending to go well over 1000, so if you are racing, please stop"
    How could Joy have already got applications (end of december) to go beyond 1000 when Jeff wrote end of january and got "only" #992?
    Joy wrote that applications exceeded #1000 one month before Jeff closed the word getting "only" #992
    Again my non-understanding: if Joy had applications to go beyond 1000 on 31st december, waiting 30 days just for receiving letters from everywhere in the world, on 31st january she would "close" those applications arrived within 31st december assigning a number to each, so in the first days of february Joy should have started mailing the letters (among which there should have been letter to Mr/Mrs/Miss #1000), exactly in the same days when Jeff completed his word, wrote his letter, got his number #992 one month later, and so on.
    Either Jeff is a liar (doesn't look so... ...for what purpose?!?!?!?) or the post by Joy means actually (like it's been said by MDKS): "Don't rush to get a 3-digit number, do things carefully and when appropriate time comes".
    Things will be solved when Mr/Mrs/Miss #1000 will post up his/her achievement
    Last edited by BASE_689; March 15th, 2005 at 05:11 AM.
    Stay Safe Out There
    BASE #689

I think my projections were quite right (= #1000 DID NOT complete the word by 31st dec 2004, rather, he/she completed between february and march 2005).
    From a post Joy wrote on DZ on 16 March 2004:
    "BASE # 1000 has not gone out of this house yet. We are waiting the 30 days to make sure it's the next date. Rick and Joy Harrison"
    So, indeed, Mr/Mrs/Miss BASE #1000 has actually completed the word B.A.S.E., let's say, in March 2005 (beginning?) and so it applies the (right) rule to wait 30 days to appoint ANY number officially, just in case someone wrote his/her letter with few days of delay (with respect to completion) and/or mail from different parts of the world hits Texas in different times.
    We will know something about Mr/Mrs/Miss BASE #1000 in April 2005, then
    Stay Safe Out There
    BASE #689

sometimes Andrea your attention to detail scares me!

I would love to hear that a UKer got 999 (our emergency number) and would love to hear the story of the journey from jump 1 to jump BASE# from Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms/Sir/Lord # 1,000.

It would be nice for someone with writting ability to then pen something about the history from CB to the different developments & the several people that made a difference to the person with BASE1000 - maybe NDG could do something? just for the history...........

That would be a lovely read me thinks............

pbla4024

Quote Originally Posted by BASE_689
    > I am saying the above simply because GENERALLY any BASE jumper, once completed the word, applies to have the BASE number.
    Except French crew, of course.

flummi_

i completed with a B on August 30, 2003. just mailed my stuff in a couple of weeks ago. yesterday i received my number: 996. as my number was given out without waiting the 30 days, i assume that within the next couple of days the 1000 should be out...

greetings from a sunny roma,
    flummi
    (BASE #996)

> yesterday I received my number: 996
    Way to go, Flummi!!!!
    You did it, finally!!!!!
    For only 4 you didn't catch 1000 but, never, mind, you can still say that you "belong" to the first "original" 1000!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.: don't forget to do your "tourist" duty, my friend...
    Stay Safe Out There
    BASE #689

flummi_

i did not forget my tourist duty. plan 2 go this weekend and get some nice shots 4 you. R u going 2 be in the area sometime?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234