Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BASE 1000 - Are we nearly there yet?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

BASE 1000 - Are we nearly there yet?

Anyone recently receiving a number who would care to share it's magnitude?

We must be awful close by now...The suspense is killing me.

Cheers,

Skin

Neil UK

Re: BASE 1000 - Are we nearly there yet?

A jumping buddy just got a number a little below 940 if that helps Mr Flicka

Sure it's not the suspenders that are killing you?

Stay safe

Neil

Rod

Smile Re: BASE 1000 - Are we nearly there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Skinflicka
    Anyone recently receiving a number who would care to share it's magnitude?

We must be awful close by now...The suspense is killing me.

Cheers,

Skin

I, will be BASE #1000, Turkey Boogie.....

cya there,

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Neil UK
    A jumping buddy just got a number a little below 940 if that helps Mr Flicka

Sure it's not the suspenders that are killing you?

Stay safe

Neil

You can't make a post these days without someone making a facile, sarcastic remark can you?

btw suspenders hold up your pants over here so it won't be that good of a gag...I liked it, but then again, I'm only 34 1/4 so I'm a little immature.

Good luck on the grand, Rod. I hope you get it.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) skydive1224's Avatar

A friend of mine just got his number, 937. I jumps my final object, earth on September first. So when Oct. 1st comes I'll reply to this post and let you know my number. I'm guessing in the 940's so 1000 might not come till early next year.

Bryan
    BASE 9??

Small

The legend who got 937 qualified on 15th August and got his number in the post yesterday.

Gus
    BASE 937

Quote Originally Posted by Small
    The legend who got 937 qualified on 15th August and got his number in the post yesterday.

Gus
    BASE 937
    Nice one Gus!

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) Faber's Avatar

congrats Gus

Small

Thanks guys

Gus

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) JeNnEjEnN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    I, will be BASE #1000, Turkey Boogie.....

cya there,

Rod
    Nice... Let me jump right before you @ the turkey boogie... I want #999!

Jen

zennie

Quote Originally Posted by JeNnEjEnN
    Nice... Let me jump right before you @ the turkey boogie... I want #999!
    Heh, 999 is an upside down 666. How perfect would that be?

And what... you're going to the Turkey Boogie now? Why am I always the last to know these things...

> We must be awful close by now...

Hi Skin. 1000. 1000 is approaching.
    While we all give for granted that our BASE number has got an enormous meaning for each of us, the issue of 1000th BASE number "COULD" be a milestone, but I am afraid it is going to be more a statistical fact than a actual fact.
    I am saying the above simply because GENERALLY any BASE jumper, once completed the word, applies to have the BASE number.
    But it is NOT mandatory. There are some BASE jumpers that never apply to have the BASE number, for a number of reasons: 1) they don't give a flying fu(k to have "the" BASE number; 2) they do not know whom to write to; 3) they don't care about the fuss about writing, find US bucks, post a letter...; 4) other.
    My mentor closed the word B.A.S.E. early 1998 but it didn't apply then for his BASE number because: 1) at the time he didn't speak/write any English; 2) he didn't know who could help him in getting his number.
    When my mate #658 (also taught by my mentor), closed the word end of 2000, I helped both in getting their BASE number, so finally my mentor got his number, #657, with a "time window" of about 3 years of delay with respect to the time when he closed the word. He is anyway happy to have his BASE number (and his night number, night #108) because it is fun to have a BASE number, to refer to each other as to #689, #658, #726, whatever, like many grown up kids.
    What I am meaning with my post is that this expectancy about #1000 to happen in the future, actually it could be that there are already 1000 BASE jumpers who completed the word: there are quite a number of very famous world BASE jumper that have already jumped anything jumpable, closing the word so long time ago, but who elected NOT to apply for a BASE number.
    I can think of at least one Aussie (T.B., quite famous indeed) who hasn't got "his" BASE number, as well as quite a number of French BASE jumpers without number (about French BASE, I can think about the opposite: how many French BASE jumpers got tha BASE number? Perhaps a handful only... while they are at least a hundred...).
    Still eager to see the issue of #1000? It will be a milestone anyway
    Stay Safe Out There
    Blue Skies and Soft Walls
    BASE #689

Cool Re: BASE 1000 - Are we nearly there yet?

hi Andrea! I hope all is cool with you - I have not heard from you for awhile. (as for me I am still not able to walk so dont have much to talk about!)

In regards to BASE numbers, Its funny that before I had mine I always was hopeful to gain one at some point, to me it meant something about what someone had worked towards getting done. When I got my number I was over the moon and for a short time it meant I had achieved something that 3 years previous I could only dream of. Once I had it, I realised that it meant nothing other than a link to a certain part of BASE history.

I know alot of people who have not applied for numbers for their own reasons, I know there are far in excess of just below 1000 of people that have jumped from all 4 objects. I can sort of understand why these people dont apply for their numbers, but for some of us it is / was a way of documenting a long path and struggle in getting to this point with no way of having it taken away from us. It is a small link to a history.

It goes back to the older posts of what does the BASE number mean to you? (example: The value of a BASE Number )

To me at the time it meant I had achieved something I had only dreamed off for many years before hand, and meant I was now a documented part of CB's dream. To me now, it is only reminder and reflection of how stupid and foolhardy I was during that time. It really does give me different feelings.

In the end I am proud to have a link to CB's dreams and history - but other than that my number is just a number. - but its a number that can never be taken away from me, I am still proud of it, if not still wondering what it all means.

Raise a cold one for the people before and the people to follow...........

Last edited by Mac; September 28th, 2004 at 05:34 AM. Reason: to add link to another thread

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) skydive1224's Avatar

Not quite there yet. As of 3 minutes ago I officially recieved my number.

BASE 943. I'm so excited. my smile is not leaving my face.

Bryan
    BASE 943

Nice one Bryan.
    Congratts!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast