Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What part of BASE gear will be revolutionized next?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

Re: What part of BASE gear will be revolutionized next?

integrating the rig into the clothing is the next step when it comes to flying/tracking performance. we've seen some manufacturers design rigs that are more round with a sloping bottom flap to reduce drag and turbulence. i believe this will be further refined. studies of the flow past a jumper have shown that there is a huge potential as soon as you start modifying the rig. making it thinner and smoother along the body and at the same time keeping the volume by increasing the length and width a little. attaching it as ManBird describes is an excellent idea. it is allso possible to adjust the profile of the rig to manipulate flow-separation point and thereby reducing drag (increasing lift/drag ratio) even more.
    there is allso a huge potential in clothing and suits. the wingsuits today barely outfly a good track. imagine utilizing (changing the design) the full potential of the increased area in a wingsuit, and you might easily do flights of 4-5km form a 1500m wall...

Tom Aiello

Quote Originally Posted by baseninja
    Space, I want to hear more about that canopy that you saw...
    I chatted with Stane about it this weekend. He's not at a point where he'll sell it yet, but all I can say is if it hits the market, I'll buy one on the day of release.

???????? Ever happen?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Aiello View Post
    I chatted with Stane about it this weekend. He's not at a point where he'll sell it yet, but all I can say is if it hits the market, I'll buy one on the day of release.
    I just witnessed a jump on a new, low glide ratio / High lift canopy that Stane designed. The canopy responded immediately to input, turned in place via actually flying backwards on one side whilst the other side flew forward. The off heading and recovery looked more like a sashay. I am very impressed. It looked like the wingtips swapped and only sunk 4-5m in the manuver. Good one Stane! Respect!
    take care,
    space

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12