Thread: Fatality in Thailand

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    BLiNC Magazine Founder mknutson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Fatality in Thailand

I am truely BUMMED!
    Neil has been an awsome guy! I can even remember all the emails he sent me while I was in Switzerland. Always happy! Always an awesome guy!

My heart goes out to his wife and family.

unclecharlie109

We have lost a true gentleman and a talented BASE jumper

Gutted

Fly free brother Neil

Tango

This is a huge loss both personally and for UK BASE. Neil was a truly great and fun person to be around and i will miss his wisdom, encouragement and inspiration. He epitomises for me the perfect "all round" BASE jumper. Happy slider up or down; freefalling or static lining; off all types of objects in all types of climates all over the world; doing solo jumps for the love or big ways for the giggles; sneaky little jumps or high profile events; 3000ft or 130ft. A great tracker, a flawless body position and exit technique ,solid dependable canopy control, and a great ethical ambassador.

A perfectly modest role model for UK BASE.

My thoughts are with Hayley, his family and friends and of course his own personal demon Dan-the-man.

I am going to miss him.

Rest in Peace bruvva

Ian

ps. you owe me for those rope ladders.
    Last edited by sabre210; October 7th, 2004 at 03:05 AM.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) QuickDraw's Avatar

Some tributes here too.

Press clipping
    --- Hope you don't die. ---

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) fastpete's Avatar

its hard to think that i just had a nice partying with him in Moscow few weeks ago. ****ty feeling now.

Condoleance from all Finnish Crew to family and friends.

FastPete 844

verticalfyer

Neil was one of the nicest guys I met, first new Neil in 96 at Ipswich Dz great guy and one of the most genuine people out there, sold him my classic II and he flew pretty nicely. Very sad to hear of this terrible accident.

He is already missed.

Fraser

Champ, you f_cking stupid f_cking idiot! What the f_ck have you gone and done now???...
    I can't f_cking believe it- what you playing at jumping without me anyway?
    That's it! No more 2-ways or sneaky little bandit jumps,you've pissed me right off!...
    Now i've got to break in a new jump buddy.
    See you in the next life.

Laters.
    Dan-the-Man.
    PS
    Definitely not a nice one Bruvva...
    Koleshaker's not happy.

king climbers thailand

Hi
    I am king from king Climbers krabi, Thailand. I am been searching the web to try to find out who I went to rescue on the 5th October 2004. At 9am on the 5th i got a call that someone had fallen at ton sai so I hopped onto a boat to ton sai with all the equipment, (resuce basket, spinal broad etc) On my arrival to Ton Sai The person had already been fallen for over 30 minutes. He had head and internal injuries. The people who were with him did not know what to do. He had just past away on my arrival. I can not explain how I felt to see such a young person to die. I was the person who took the body to krabi hospital I did not even know his name. My wife robin & I stayed with him until the police and doctors came. Around 4pm I got a message that his wife/girlfriend had been located. This has been one of the saddess day of my life.
    All I want to say if future jumper planning trips here to krabi please do not solo, use climbing equipment to get the ledge for jumping.

May Neil rest in peace
    King, Robin and krabi rescue team

BLiNC Magazine Founder mknutson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the entire BASE community is saddened right now. So we all share your feeling.

I appreciate the concern for climbing, and would also recommend that "Experienced" jumper contact you as you are a "Local" to this object. However, I would ask that you do not just take _anyone_ asking to go to the exit point there unless the experience level of that person can be validated by someone here at BLiNC Magazine/The BASE Board.
    There are many people here on BLiNC Magazine that can attest to anyone in the sport. If a jumper can not be verified, or when someone does know about the jumper in question but feels the jumper un-qualified, more accidents could happen due to the jumpers in-experience.

NOTE: Neil _WAS_ experienced and qualified for this jump. However, there are many who are not.
    I would just hope you never have to expereince this again.

Everyone be safe out there!
    Because in my opinion, we even lost the worlds best base jumper recently. It can happen to anyone.

Small

Thank you for helping our friend, King. I'm sorry you found yourself in that situation

Gus

Eddy

I waited for the words to come, but they haven't and I doubt they ever will...

He is missed.

Peace be with you

Eddy

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Neil is to be cremated on Wednesday the 20th of October and will be followed by a post service gathering in a local hotel. If you aren't aware of the details, please make yourself known.

The family have requested that there be no funeral flowers but donations can be made in lieu to Sight Savers International, c/o Brown Fenn & Parker, 37 North Street, Sudbury CO10 1RD +44 (0)1787 370909

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Neil was cremated yesterday. It was amazing to see how many people Neil touched from so many aspects of his life. The chapel was crammed and so was the celebration afterwards. Dan-the-man provided a beautiful wreath which spelt 3-2-1 cya and the coffin got a Team Crank sticker! Love your work mate. It made me smile through the tears. We then got very, very drunk and talked about him for hours. "It's what he would have wanted." I wish you could have been there mate, it was a great party. Now my head hurts as well as my heart!

We miss you mate and we love you.

Team Crank

It certainly was very touching and thought provoking. Although the circumstances sucked, it was cool to bridge some gaps and meet other jumpers again that perhaps sometimes rarely talk to each other.

Thoughts to Team Crank.
    Thoughts to all touched.

larry

well what i say i knew neil from school until our early 20's i'm shocked he's gone i've only just found out he was a great mate and a genuine guy i'm certain he will be missed by many

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12