Thread: Loop release and emergency pack opening system for base rigs?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    BASE 845

Lightbulb Loop release and emergency pack opening system for base rigs?

Loop release and emergency pack opening system for base rigs?

As seen in many accidents, pilot chutes and bridles do not always function to open the container and pull out the packjob as they should. The reasons vary. The pilot chute can be lost by a poor throw, it can be stuffed inside it's pouch, it can be trapped by ones boots, bodyparts, equipment or it can entangle with itself or with the bridle as seen in some accidents. Then sometimes they just refuse to inflate properly. In the worst case the PC or the bridle may be left unconnected by poor rigging.

I have been playing with a thought about an loop release system, that
    would release the pin tension and consequently give the deployment
    system more chances to open the packjob even with a low PC pull force. The same system would also open the packjob in a "no PC situation".

The system would consist of a soft/hard handle in a main lift web as
    in a skydiving harness, one/two "yellow" or steel cables leading to the underside of the loop holding flaps (top, bottom or both) routed inside hard housings and cloth shells and two ended or circular loops for the pack closing pins. That way the closing loops could be released from underside, regardles of the situation with the pins on the bridle in a case of an emergency (PC in tow and so on). When pulled, the pin tension would relieve thus giving the PC more chances to do it's job, and also to open the whole packjob for direct airflow to assist even a partial deployment during a "no PC malfunction".

This system could also incorporated with a compressed spring with a kicker plate inside the backpad that would throw the packjob out to airstream and open the container even more.

Of course this kind of a system adds to the system complexity, but
    it might also be worth it if engineered properly. I myself do not have skills for that. I may have had too much time or too few jumps during few months to think things like this, but I would still be pleased to hear any input you may have in mind.

Vesa

baseninja

Re: Loop release and emergency pack opening system for base rigs?

I think this is a great idea, but if you notice you have a problem like a PC hesitation off a 1000' A, how much time do you have to not panic, pull the cords, have it all work like it should, and land safely?

Personally, I think working on pilot chutes that don't hesitate would be far more effective than kicker plates and springs, but that is just my opinion...

BASE 845

Re: Loop release and emergency pack opening system for base rigs?

Quote Originally Posted by baseninja
    I think this is a great idea, but if you notice you have a problem like a PC hesitation off a 1000' A, how much time do you have to not panic, pull the cords, have it all work like it should, and land safely?
    I understand the point, and mainly are concidering the system to be used in high jumps, incorporated with reasonably high opening altitudes, and of course for wingsuit base jumps where PC-hesitations are a major issue.

Quote Originally Posted by baseninja
    Personally, I think working on pilot chutes that don't hesitate would be far more effective than kicker plates and springs, but that is just my opinion...
    That is another area of getting the gear safer, and of course all possible should be done to prevent the problem in first case. But when the **** hits the fan, it's always nice to have some extra chances.

Thanks for your thoughts

Vesa