Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base death

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) truckerbase's Avatar

Base death

The minnesota crew is reporting the death of Eric Wagar this morning on a base jump. The crew asks for time, but indications are a fogbase daytime low pull from 400 ft. Erich was well known for aerials on many of his jumps. Many condolences to lundar, robbie, sammy, and ryan on this loss. Eric was a top of the line fearless jumper rapidly earning recognition for his style and friendly bearing. A good guy and friend, he unfortunately leaves behind a wife and young son. I am so sorry guys, if there is anything I can do for Gretchen and Max, or you guys, please let me know; you are one of my oldest crews, the first to reach out a hand and I consider you family. Erich attended malaysia in march, and the colorado event, so should be known to many. Be at peace, erich...Rest now...

Re: Base death

A friend indeed.
    Liked by everyone he met.
    Im at a loss for words.
    Attached Images Attached Images

my heartfelt sympathies to his family and friends.

ian

thoughts to all touched by this.

Thor

It's always bad when you hear about losing another BASE jumper, but fortunately for me, I haven't known any of the past lost jumpers very well. I knew Eric though. I jumped with him in Maylasia and Colorado as well as many skydives at Dollar Daze. He was a lot like me with a wife and child and he was like alot of us in the way he lived his life. Reading The List and hearing about deaths is one thing, but hearing about a friend of yours is completely different.

Eric was an amazing guy who was always fun to be with and will be terribly missed by all those who knew him. I've never met his wife or son, but my thoughts and prayers go out to you right now most of all.

BASE864

My sympathies and prayers go out to Erich's family. If there's anything any of us can do, just pass the word.

I hung out with Erich this year on the KL trip and also at the Go Fast Games, although we knew of each other after spending many years at the Couch Freaks Dollar Daze boogie. I fondly remember discussing fatherhood with Erich over a drink or two in a bar in KL. He was telling me how great fatherhood is and all that I had to look forward too (as my 1st son was born in June). The passion he had when he spoke of his family was great - even greater then his passion for jumping. Erich was known by many and he touched each one's life in some way.

Erich, you will be missed. Blue Skies my friend.
    Last edited by BASE864; November 18th, 2004 at 09:06 AM.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) Faber's Avatar

my deepest condolance to family and freinds

Fly free brother

BLiNC Magazine Founder mknutson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can the crew give any more details as far as the gear etc...
    Was is slider up?
    Was it a stowed jump?
    Was a canopy deployed at all?

Very sorry to question everything right off, I just feel that details can help other base jumpers stay safe.
    I _DO_ feel for the family and am sorry for the loss.

i was told that it was the 400 footer, it wasn't... sorry Trucker.. my info was 2nd hand. Erich was current on the A they were at though.

this sucks so bad...

Utah, thanks for that picture... but why'd you have to take a picture with a beer in my hand at nine in the morning? you'd think i was a drunkard.

i love you guys, so much.

i wish i could up-load the videos i have of Erichs 5th jump. you've never seen such a happy face on anyone.

what now?

Fork And Spoon Operator ZegeunerLeben's Avatar

>>A black year for BASE. Blue Skies Brother

Hello Everyone,

My name is Eric Lunder. I was with Erich on the jump when he was killed. The details are as follows:

The jump took place at 1:00 pm on 11/17/04

Weather conditions: heavy fog beginning at 350ft. The ground was visible from approx. 500ft. Winds: calm

Altitude 940ft, Antenna, slider up.

Cause of death: Low pull. The canopy was out and partially inflated.

He was killed on impact.

We planned a 2 way and followed through with it. We both left stable and immediately began to track away from the tower. We planned for him to be the low man and he was to signal me to pull by reaching for his pc and delaying one second. I deployed my canopy as soon as his hand moved toward his pc. My canopy deployed normally and on heading. After I established that I had a good canopy I witnessed Erich with a partially open canopy impact the ground. The spot where he impacted was on a hill approx. thirty to fifty feet above the base of the tower approx. and 250ft horozontally away from the tower. I landed safely and immediately cutaway my canopy and ran toward him. I found him unconscious and unresponsive. He was not breathing and had no pulse. I tried CPR but he did not respond. I then called 911 and emergency services were sent to the scene. The EMTs hooked him up to a monitor and there were no vital signs. I believe he was killed immediately on impact. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

----------------------------------------

Erich was one of my best friends and was a friend to many people around the world. Please think of his wife Gretchen and his son Max because they need our love. I will miss him and all that know him will as well. The world is a lesser place due to his passing.

Eric Lunder

BLiNC Magazine Founder mknutson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you very much for the explaination.
    This sounds very similiar to Sky Punks low pull.
    But I wonder, was this a slider up 2-way from 400'?

I would hope to spur some discussion about pull altitudes and opening times in a thread very soon. I think there is information that can help everyone.
    I am still very sorry this has happend, and hope we can all learn from our mistakes.

I heart goes out to the family as this is a very hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by nickels
    Hello Everyone,

My name is Eric Lunder. I was with Erich on the jump when he was killed. The details are as follows:

The jump took place at 1:00 pm on 11/17/04

Weather conditions: heavy fog beginning at 350ft. The ground was visible from approx. 500ft. Winds: calm

Altitude 940ft, Antenna, slider up.

Cause of death: Low pull. The canopy was out and partially inflated.

He was killed on impact.

We planned a 2 way and followed through with it. We both left stable and immediately began to track away from the tower. We planned for him to be the low man and he was to signal me to pull by reaching for his pc and delaying one second. I deployed my canopy as soon as his hand moved toward his pc. My canopy deployed normally and on heading. After I established that I had a good canopy I witnessed Erich with a partially open canopy impact the ground. The spot where he impacted was on a hill approx. thirty to fifty feet above the base of the tower approx. and 250ft horozontally away from the tower. I landed safely and immediately cutaway my canopy and ran toward him. I found him unconscious and unresponsive. He was not breathing and had no pulse. I tried CPR but he did not respond. I then called 911 and emergency services were sent to the scene. The EMTs hooked him up to a monitor and there were no vital signs. I believe he was killed immediately on impact. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

----------------------------------------

Erich was one of my best friends and was a friend to many people around the world. Please think of his wife Gretchen and his son Max because they need our love. I will miss him and all that know him will as well. The world is a lesser place due to his passing.

Eric Lunder

We exited from 940ft. slider up.

Eric

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) badenhop's Avatar

Tragic big bummer.
    Erich was one of the good guys.
    RIP
    Last edited by badenhop; November 18th, 2004 at 04:39 PM.
    ================================

Beautiful planet,
    rotten world.

================================

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

xof711

This really sucks man! My deepest condoleances to the family...

Eric, I think it's very good you were able to perform CPR. Most of the BASEr I know, don't even know how to perform simple medical acts that could, if not save a life, at least minimize the risk of physical after-effects.

I personnally think that when you are involved in Xtrm sports such as BASE, Xtrm Snowboarding, Skiing, motorcycle racing, etc. you SHOULD take First Aid classes!
    Just because YOU could be the person being able to save the life of your friend when the $h*t hits the fan...

I got injured in Kjerag and I was lucky enough to be surrounded by competent people who did the right moves at the right times. This really helped me getting back in shape much faster! But that's just my 2 cents of wisdom.

Fly free Brother!

D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast