Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you post to DZ rather than here?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

Re: Why do you post to DZ rather than here?

> Does this mean you are volunteering to go first in responding here to something that started over there?
    Not exactly myself.
    Mine is a "suggestion" to ANYBODY that is about to answer in a thread on DZ, but instead of answering in DZ, he/she copies what he/she likes, comes here on the BASE Board and opens up a new thread with same/similar title, wriitng down part of original post, mentioning link/author/references/whatever, and after the reference to original post in DZ, writes in the following what he/she would have replied to that post on DZ.
    I promise that next time I am about to answer to a thread on DZ, I will do that (open up a new thread here on the BASE Board).
    Stay Safe Out There
    Blue Skies and Soft Walls
    BASE #689

Quote Originally Posted by BASE_689
    > A positive way to bring discussion here on the BASE Board....
    That would give new meaning to the idea of "thread-hijacking."

Part of the reason people don't use this board is that it isn't forgiving to those who cannot avail themselves of all its features.

When I decided to respond to this, I did not click the "reply with quote" icon. When I then decided I wanted to quote you, I was not able to highlight and copy the portion of your comment that I wanted to quote, no matter what I did to select the text. So I had to go back and start again. It's a nuisance.

Part of the problem is that dz.com is easier to use. The rest of the problem lies with the people who use the two boards. I think public discussion is a bad idea, but a little fence-mending in private couldn't hurt.

rl
    Last edited by rhondalea; February 2nd, 2005 at 03:07 PM.

John Hayes

Well Im sick of posting on DZ.com. Just the other day in the BASE forum alot of us that had been invited to the 40 way were saying thanks to everyone for a great time When a troll from my area leroydb posted that he would have been on the load if it wasn't for prior engagements. So I e-mailed Johnny Utah to find out if he had been invited, of course he had not been. So I called him a POSER and told him how bad it was to pretend to be a part of something.Then Tom A erased my post and threatend to ban me. So I just posted there again and instead of the post getting erased he locked it up and threatened me in the forum.
    The whole thing over there just sucks! its Toms little political toy to use as he wishes.
    I know he is a moderator over here as well, but I think there are a few others looking over things here than just him.
    Its pretty sad when you call someone out for lying and you get the raw deal, and his post is still up.

John Hayes

If I get Banned here well I guess I will stick to my own forum, www.sonicbeef.com

ManBird

I don't post on DZ.com. Some might argue that I "can't". I've started a new account for classifieds, and choose not to post.

So I called him a POSER and told him how bad it was to pretend to be a part of something.
    Personal Attack. Simple rules.

Then Tom A erased my post and threatend to ban me. So I just posted there again and instead of the post getting erased he locked it up and threatened me in the forum.
    The whole thing over there just sucks! its Toms little political toy to use as he wishes.
    It's not Tom's poltical little toy, it's his job as a moderator. He is fair, and applies the rules. But I must be his puppet if I say something in his defense, right?
    He has banned me before, and I agree with why he banned me.

What Tom A. has given to the sport, and continues to give to the sport is immeasurable.
    I can't continue this post, for fear I may get negative.

Thomas

Thomas

I like your self restraint. That's pretty cool. Someone posts something you don't agree with so you register your displeasure and leave it at that. People will respect you more for that.

Having said that i feel maybe John also has a point. Calling someone a poser isn't exactly a personal attack in my opinion. If someone misrepresents themselves online then that same forum should allow someone who knows better to go on the record too with a counter.

This is important in the name of fairness and safety. If i went online and claimed to have 8 years basejumping experience when i infact have only 2, then i might be credited with more ability to mentor than i actually have. I'm sure you can see that this could prove potentially dangerous.

As for Tom's moderation of dz.com, I don't envy his task at all and think he does have to make some tough calls which are never going to satisfy everyone. In this instance if he had let John's 'poser' comment stand and then locked the thread, his counter would have stood against the claim and the thread wouldn't have degenerated. This would have been fairer i think (if John's claim about him not being invited is true).

such is life.

ian

edited to make clearly who said what
    Last edited by sabre210; February 2nd, 2005 at 05:57 AM.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) Faber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Aiello
    Are you aware that with the exception of myself, you and Faber are the two most active posters (by total number of posts) on the DZ.com BASE forum?

Seems like you hold the power in your own hands...
    As i started at the boards i didnt liked Blinc as the place were people used more time to critisice each other instead of talk like normal people.
    second,as a newbie i were often told(if i got an answer to my post)that i should do a search on the subject...

I then found it better to post at dz.com(and pm people like Tom A),and get answers at my Q´s...

I dont like that most posts are at dz.com,but people gets answers there...Looking at my posts here i often didnt even got a sign to were to search...

I do like Blinc as the big database were i can find info.

Heres somthing people at Blinc might should considder(myself included):

If you know somthing on a subject that were asked about,then step up and speak,Yes people could do a search to get some of the answers,but sometimes we all want the newest info on a subject,meaning that you dont gets as much about reading an old tread as if you starts a new one..

Post on Blinc if you have Q´s,people here has the answers aswell as on dz.com

Dont forget that dz.com is a forum to people that is about to start or just started BASe jumping,Blinc is for ALL BASE jumpers.

I think linking each post on dz.com to a tread to Blinc will be a bad idea unless its already is discussed at Blinc,as i clik a link i expect to find more info on the subject not to get to an emty tread,which in the end will end in that people stop click links,and then might miss the info we should have..

Dont get me wrong in this post,i dont point fingers at any,i think WE as users and BASE jumpers are the only once to change this...

I think this debate is good to get the trafic back were it belongs...

Tom,what do you mean about me beeing one of the persons posting most at dz.com

matt

Quote Originally Posted by John Hayes
    Well Im sick of posting on DZ.com. Just the other day in the BASE forum alot of us that had been invited to the 40 way were saying thanks to everyone for a great time When a troll from my area leroydb posted that he would have been on the load if it wasn't for prior engagements. So I e-mailed Johnny Utah to find out if he had been invited, of course he had not been. So I called him a POSER and told him how bad it was to pretend to be a part of something.Then Tom A erased my post and threatend to ban me. So I just posted there again and instead of the post getting erased he locked it up and threatened me in the forum.
    I know he is a moderator over here as well, but I think there are a few others looking over things here than just him.
    Its pretty sad when you call someone out for lying and you get the raw deal, and his post is still up.

John Hayes

If I get Banned here well I guess I will stick to my own forum, www.sonicbeef.com
    Hey John I don't think you'll get banned here. I don't think the kid in question would last that long in this piece. Anyway, as you know, I agree with you that posing is pretty messed up especially when it has to do with a sport with a tiny margin for error that, for some reason, homes has managed to escape. I don't think this should be drawn out either, just like Tom has made obvious. I have been banned before by Tom and don't really mind since I was getting tired of finding clever ways of hiding my thoughts about this kid. If this were a two sided story it would be different but it's not. The opposition has been banned and the threads locked. I guess that is how you keep out the undesirables. My only wonder is why this kid is even aloud to post stuff like that and not be called out? If that is the desired person to post in the BASE Zone you have pretty much nullified the point of it being there as an educational forum. Unless the only thing you want to talk about are PC sizes, Bridge Day registration times(no offense Jason), and what someone with a couple tandems thinks about BASE jumping. Maybe I will get booted from here too but everyone will know who not to jump with and for what reasons. I can pull two really good ones of the top of my head. Ask me and I will tell you. It's even gone as far as one of my best friends that I BASEd with all the time before the move taking this kid under his wings to teach him ,even though he couldn't stand him, since he was endangering others. It's all in one of those locked up threads over on DZ.com, check it out if you don't believe me.

To answer the original question, I posted on DZ.com since I know one of the Mods that squared me away with a Cypres one time for some bike parts.

Then Tom A erased my post and threatend to ban me. So I just posted there again and instead of the post getting erased he locked it up and threatened me in the forum.

John Hayes
    The Forum Rules:
    1. No personal attacks.
    Tom was doing his job

If I get Banned here well I guess I will stick to my own forum,
    heh heh, got ya knickers in a knot do you?

John Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Skydawg
    The Forum Rules:
    1. No personal attacks.
    Tom was doing his job

heh heh, got ya knickers in a knot do you?
    It was not a personal attack! What I said was, its pretty bad to pretend to be apart of something when he clearly wasnt invited. And my coment was based on a post he had made saying that he would have been at the 40 way if it wasn't for prior engagements. Thats all........His post is still up in the thread and mine was erased......and to try and let everyone know that there was a poser amungst us I posted again with the current post thats up thats when Tom got his panties in a wad. Read for yourself.......the thread is called "Good Luck"

It was not a personal attack! What I said was, its pretty bad to pretend to be apart of something when he clearly wasnt invited. And my coment was based on a post he had made saying that he would have been at the 40 way if it wasn't for prior engagements. Thats all........His post is still up in the thread and mine was erased......and to try and let everyone know that there was a poser amungst us I posted again with the current post thats up thats when Tom got his panties in a wad. Read for yourself.......the thread is called "Good Luck"
    I think the last post in this thread clearly explains why Tom locked the "Good Luck" thread.

Just as an FYI, I read Leroy's post a little differently, i.e., in the context of the prior flamewar. And if you make the assumption that most people reading the "Good Luck" thread are aware of Leroy's difficulties in the BASE community, it is more reasonable to read his post as irony than as "posing."

Such a small group of people to have so many ongoing internal battles....

BASE jumpers are a very, very small microcosm of the rest of the world, and you are perceived by the rest of the world as a group, not as individuals. In the words of Ben Franklin, "We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

rl

Tom Aiello

John,

BLiNC and DZ.com have very different community ethos, as well as different places in the on-line world, and different roles in BASE.

There are several topics that are pretty much only of interest to experienced jumpers that I feel belong here, on BLiNC.

Turf wars are pretty much not in keeping with the DZ.com community spirit (plus, they mostly only concern us BASE jumpers). So, I think they belong here, not there.

If we're going to have shouting matches between BASE jumpers, I suggest we do it in our own "house" (i.e. BLiNC), rather than out in front of the skydivers (i.e. at DZ.com).

Tom Aiello

His post is still up in the thread and mine was erased...
    I removed his reply to your post, as well. In fact, digging through the trash, I see that I've removed about twice as many of his posts as yours.

It seems like you think I'm (a) taking a side, and (b) persecuting you. I'm doing neither.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by rhondalea
    I think the last post in this thread clearly explains why Tom locked the "Good Luck" thread.

Just as an FYI, I read Leroy's post a little differently, i.e., in the context of the prior flamewar. And if you make the assumption that most people reading the "Good Luck" thread are aware of Leroy's difficulties in the BASE community, it is more reasonable to read his post as irony than as "posing."

Such a small group of people to have so many ongoing internal battles....

BASE jumpers are a very, very small microcosm of the rest of the world, and you are perceived by the rest of the world as a group, not as individuals. In the words of Ben Franklin, "We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

rl
    Rhonda, in all the fairness I have left for this situation, you really have to read up on this. Every single person that has at one point sided with this person, since he takes this weak little puppy dog pose, now sees what the problem was. The only thing he knows well is how to play the underdog roll. John and I supported him because we felt bad for him at first until everything he was doing started getting blamed on the wrong people and this kid wouldn't stand up and say it was him. You are right that people see us in a "group" since they either lack the ability or refuse to understand the dynamics of it. This is why you can't have a turd floating out there and also why everyone in NC stood up for him at first and is now seperating themselves from him. If you just don't believe us then PM this person and you will soon see what we are talking about. This is not a "teach this person so he knows not to do it" situation. The kid loves attention and BASE jumps just to hang out with the cool people and get more attention. Believe me we really tried not to care.

Tom is right, there are certain things that you can do on BLiNC that you cant do on DZ........

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast