Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you post to DZ rather than here?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

Why do you post to DZ rather than here?

I am assuming that alot of people posting on DZ also read BLiNC, so I am curious on why people are choosing to post to DZ rather than here?

Re: Why do you post to DZ rather than here?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac
    I am assuming that alot of people posting on DZ also read BLiNC, so I am curious on why people are choosing to post to DZ rather than here?
    I post on both, it just depends on the thread
    Technical and (bitch-slap ) posts, I'd rather post here

baseninja

I used to read both. I believe I always will, but only because I think about BASE all the time, and I've already gone from the last post archived here several years ago, to today’s. There is nothing on dz that helps me become a better, safer, or more knowledgeable jumper. The sooner that other people realize that dz.com's BASE Zone is the same as the Bonfire, just smaller and jumping off things instead of out of them, the sooner people will return here to discuss BASE.

It makes me wonder how many productive things can be exchanged over the internet though. I picked up on the masking tape idea for slider-up jumps, but that is about the only one I can think of in over a year...

I am going to try to put together a bunch of ideas and tricks, in a format that everyone can edit, modify, and correct, that can be distributed to jumpers just getting into the game. Not as much for FJC students, but there are a lot of really simple ideas that would have been nice to know a couple hundred pack jobs and jumps ago... And everyone can chime in, and some might even have a couple tricks to add.

I'm glad I'm always bored at work...

Quote Originally Posted by baseninja
    I am going to try to put together a bunch of ideas and tricks, in a format that everyone can edit, modify, and correct, that can be distributed to jumpers just getting into the game. Not as much for FJC students, but there are a lot of really simple ideas that would have been nice to know a couple hundred pack jobs and jumps ago... And everyone can chime in, and some might even have a couple tricks to add.
    sounds interesting................

The sooner that other people realize that dz.com's BASE Zone is the same as the Bonfire, just smaller and jumping off things instead of out of them, the sooner people will return here to discuss BASE.
    I have to agree here, it seems that DZ BASE zone has become a personal board for a few individuals, and has ended up with the clique feeling that the bonfire has.

It makes me wonder how many productive things can be exchanged over the internet though. I picked up on the masking tape idea for slider-up jumps, but that is about the only one I can think of in over a year...
    The way I see it is that you meet people you like that you would otherwise would not meet, and via emails / telephone calls / PMs etc you get to speak and share ideas. For example, Without the net I would never have met the Danish pink hat wearing mincer, and without meeting him would not have been able to discuss and argue over various aspects with jumping and both of us learning from each other. Without the net I would not have been able to email or telephone or meet and be able to ask questions to people like DW, Slim, TomA, 689, Belgium Crew, manufacturers, and other well experienced jumpers I have failed to mention that have put up with my contacting them. I have made contacts with many people who I respect and have even jumped with some of them because the internet has made it possible to hook with these people - so I would disagree, many many many productive things can be exchanged over the internet.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) pringles's Avatar

If I have a post to make about base I normally post it here first. I wait a couple of days to see if I get any response. Then I take it to dz if I haven't gotten anything. I would prefer to keep it here though. I do respond to posts at dz. I normally would start here if starting a new thread though.
    Matt Davies

"Do you want to see the whole thing or can I just pull out enough to win this contest?"

Thijs

Quote Originally Posted by pringles
    If I have a post to make about base I normally post it here first. I wait a couple of days to see if I get any response. Then I take it to dz if I haven't gotten anything.
    Just a thaugt: why don't you link you're question to Blinc instead of asking the question in textform on dropzone.com? And ask people to respond here.
    For example you could write on dropzone.com (just took a random topic on this forum as example):
    "I have posted a question on the fifth command line on a flik on the Blinc board. Click here: <linktoblinc>"

I'm not sure if this is really a good idea. This could mean that more interesting discussions will take place here, but it could also bring along spammers, which is certainly not the intention.
    Good idea or not?

Thijs

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) pringles's Avatar

Sometimes I wonder if people even know how to use blinc. Have you ever checked out the guest book. Some people ask questions in there. I browsed through one time and thought it was strange.

It is not very often that I post (On either blinc or dz) In the future I think I will start doing the link to blinc though.
    Matt Davies

"Do you want to see the whole thing or can I just pull out enough to win this contest?"

Tom Aiello

:
    Originally Posted by Mac
    Are you aware that with the exception of myself, you and Faber are the two most active posters (by total number of posts) on the DZ.com BASE forum?

Seems like you hold the power in your own hands...
    Last edited by Mac; January 28th, 2005 at 08:57 AM.

spinerugo

I used to post on dz.com, 'cos I was skydiver before, and that was my main board. I think that dz.com has more posts becouse of the "new blood" that came to base, and they also were skydivers, and they are more familiar with dz.com. Now, I rearly post there, but i'm still using it for PM's. BTW-Thanks again Matt for helmet advice, you removed all of my doubts :-)
    And about learning from internet, you can't even imagine how helpful is when you live in supersmall base comunity. I've learned (except packing, maybe) all that I know from all of you guys.
    Thanks!

I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Aiello
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac

Are you aware that with the exception of myself, you and Faber are the two most active posters (by total number of posts) on the DZ.com BASE forum?

Seems like you hold the power in your own hands...
    Sorry, accidently edited your post instead of quote it!

let me try again..............

I admitted that I posted on DZ, and the reasons behind this. We can all use figures to prove something, but I feel that a variance of monthly activity is probably better suited for your point then total posts made. I think you will find that my volume of posting has dropped since becoming a BLiNC moderator and has certainly reduced significantly in the past few months since I have realised that DZ is not a place I wish to post to.

We all sometimes get taken away with the crowd, and I openly admit that I also got taken by the DZ masses and continued to post there - but throwing up post numbers is not really that acurate and not really realistic evidence to openly belittle my post, is it?

I think that more of a valid point is that you do hold the power in your hands and you choose DZ over BLiNC - so why is that?
    Last edited by Mac; January 28th, 2005 at 10:23 AM.

Seems to me it might be more productive to look at who *originates* the most threads on dz.com. People respond to a post because it's there. The choice of where to put that post lies with the thread creator.

Maybe you should ask the top thread creators why they choose that board instead of this one. Privately.

There's enough in-fighting as it is.

JaapSuter

Here's my two cents to improve things here:

1. Text selection on this site works really odd. Whenever I drag over a piece of text to select it, the selection starts at the top left of the screen. This is annoying if I want to copy-paste from another post to quote from somebody.

2. Now that everybody is running at least at 1024 by 786, I think it's time to widen the forum. DZ.com uses the entire screen.

3. The screen layout is too cluttered and complicated. Basically this forum is too powerful and it has too many features. I believe that is something that registered users can tweak (I'll have to look into it myself), but the default layout that guests see might turn people away. Both the ABA and DZ.com forums are easier on the eye.

4. Too many forums. I don't think the Base world is big enough to justify having several different forums. It takes too many mouse clicks to see all the new posts scattered across different forums. I would prefer to see all forums merged into a single Base Blinc forum. I think the cross-polination that results from having newbies post to the same forum as experts can only be a good thing. Perhaps once you exceed the 10 posts a day barrier, will it make sense to split them up again.

5. The Blinc frontpage is too complicated. The page loads things sequentially, instead of displaying the whole page at once. Several items in the right hand column don't work (weather, store) and others don't warrant themselves (events-calender, the forum is enough for announcements, the word spreads fast anyway). The main menu on the left side is too complicated with the pop-up of submenus and hovering of the mouse. Not that I don't know how to use a mouse, but in user-interface design simplicity is must.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blinc and learned lots from reading the archives. I'll try to post future messages over here, because I appreciate a forum dedicated solely to base jumping. All of the above is just my thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks for giving us this place Mick!

Cheers,

Jaap

It used to be to clean up BLINC somewhat. Because every post I made over at DZ, was I post I didn't make here. I was not in any better spot back when I started up on DZ, and have made many rude, insulting, and unsubstantiated posts over there also. So every one that went over there, was kept off here. This was in an effort to allow everyone else to have discussion here without me bitching all the time.
    Something about signal to noise ratio.......
    Classic example...my post about Robin's incident at the go fast games. I had no knowledge of it, and was not there, and talked to noone about it. I posted simply trying to play devil's advocate.

Anyways, I am making an effort to keep my posts clean, and above the belt so to speak. But, I am keeping them here, rather than DZ.
    That is unless asked otherwise. I know I have said in the past many times that I would never post here again, but I have trouble keeping that promise. This is too great of a site and has too much info for me to ditch completely.

later,

Thomas

> Seems to me it might be more productive to look at who *originates* the most threads on dz.com. People respond to a post because it's there. The choice of where to put that post lies with the thread creator.
    Exact. That's exactly my point.
    But another point is:
    Why do you have to reply on DZ?
    Why do you have to answer on DZ?
    Why do you want to join that conversation going on on DZ?
    A positive way to bring discussion here on the BASE Board would be that anybody that is about to answer to a thread on DZ, comes here on the (only and unique and original) BASE Board and posts a new thread beginning with:
    "Hello there! I just saw a thread on DZ talking about Xyyyyyy (do it clicky and reference to author/whatever). What do you think about that? Personally, I would do....xywxywxyxwyxw..."
    Because, yes, I do understand that someone posting on DZ is simply answering to a thread (thing that (yes, I have to admit it) I personally did so many times....), but if we do not start to break the vicous circle/loop/whatever, there will always be thousands of threads/posts on DZ because people is simply answering to a thread.
    Just my 0.02€
    Stay Safe Out There
    Blue Skies and Soft Walls
    BASE #689

This is an excellent idea. Does this mean you are volunteering to go first in responding here to something that started over there? Or is somebody else going to be first?
    Let's show our support here.

later,
    Thomas

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast