Thread: Intentionally not stowing a toggle on a skydive

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    JaapSuter

Question Intentionally not stowing a toggle on a skydive

This comments in this post, about intentionally inducing a malfunction, got me thinking about something that I believe I read about in an article by Tom or somebody else. I can't seem to find it anymore.

The question is, what are the potential problems with intentionally packing a skydiving rig with one toggle unstowed? Obviously there is the risk for violent spinning and line twist. However, if the canopy is big and docile enough (a base canopy for example), perhaps the risk is managable enough to give it a try? After all, at least you would know about it upon opening, and be ready to immediately correct the spin with risers.

Stupid foolish idea, or worth trying to gain experience with such an opening? Discuss with DDZ owner, or just do it?

Thanks,

Jaap

p.s. Just got my brand spankin' new Rockdragon in the mail. She's beautiful!
    Can't wait to take her for a couple of hop-'n-pops.

Tom Aiello

Re: Intentionally not stowing a toggle on a skydive

I haven't tried it on a skydive, but I have done it on a BASE jump (off the friendly span) for practice.

I think it's worth practicing. In my opinion, we don't do enough practice malfunctions in this sport.

I had a friend who used to give himself various interesting openings when skydiving. He would pack with one toggle stowed, he would push the hacky right up into the BOC, he would cross over lines on the DB stows - there were lots of little things he would do to cause a few issues for himself. He never discussed this with the DZO / CCI (no suprise there), - but in the end no one noticed he was doing this, and he kept himself sharp as he was of the thinking that too many people in skydiving get complacent - funny how he never wanted to BASE as he thought the risks too high................. different strokes hey!

JaapSuter

Thanks guys, sounds like I should give it a try. I'm not that worried actually. Even on my Sabre 170 if I unstow only one toggle, the rear-riser input required to correct the turn is very light. Obviously during opening, the stress will be a bit bigger probably causing a slightly more aggresive turn, but all in all I don't think it should be a problem.

Tom, out of curiousity, did you go stowed or hand-held when you did it at the bridge? And was it slider up or down? And if it was slider down, did you choose to land with one riser and one toggle, or both risers.

I don't think I properly considered this scenario before, but I'm assuming that for landing approaches, one would probably prefer two risers over one riser and a toggle. With the latter it'll be harder to maintain symmetry during the flare.

Thanks,

Jaap Suter