Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh dear dDog

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Oh dear dDog

From http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...Cocaine%20Bust

SEATTLE -- A former Portland, Ore., millionaire entrepreneur has been charged in what authorities say is the biggest cocaine seizure in Snohomish County, 372 pounds worth an estimated $34 million.

Douglas Bryan Spink, 33, operator of a farm for the breeding of jumping horses in Chilliwack, British Columbia, was charged with drug possession after being stopped in a sport utility vehicle in Monroe, authorities said Wednesday.

Spink, known in Portland for a passion for extreme sports as well as for the roller-coaster course of his business dealings, was being held at the federal detention center in SeaTac pending a hearing Monday in U.S. District Court.

According to documents filed in court, he was going 5 mph over the 35 mph speed limit when his green Chevrolet Tahoe was stopped by a Monroe police officer Monday evening on U.S. 2 at the request of Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents who had been following him.

Spink, traveling with a German shepherd and a golden retriever, had entered the state through Sumas, southwest of Chilliwack, and got five suitcases from a man driving a truck that investigators had linked to a drug-smuggling group, government lawyers wrote.

Bricks of cocaine that were found in the luggage amounted to the biggest haul in the county's history, Snohomish Regional Drug Task Force Sgt. John Flood said.

During the 1990s U.S. 2 was popular for cocaine being transported through a drug pipeline extending from Mexico to Yakima, but that corridor has been largely abandoned in favor of Interstate 90, Flood said.

Six years ago, at age 27, Spink gained attention in Portland with a $5.4 million deal to sell Timberline Direct, a fitness product catalog business, to GI Joe's, a chain of sporting goods stores.

In late 2000 a private Internet technology investing and investment consulting company he co-founded, Seedling Technology Ventures, agreed to be purchased by Brighton Technologies of Allendale, N.J., in an unusual deal that gave Seedling stockholders control of the resulting company, Seedling Technologies.

A profile in The Oregonian in December 2001, called Spink a "financial swashbuckler" who enjoyed kickboxing, ultramarathons in the mountains, rock climbing and base jumping, parachuting from cliffs, bridges, tall buildings and radio towers.

Spink, nursing a broken ankle from a base jump at the time, was described as the son of a steel company executive in Pittsburgh who earned a master's degree in business administration from the University of Chicago in 1994 and was working on his doctorate.

He told the newspaper his favorite quotation was by Theodore Roosevelt: "It is the doer of deeds who actually counts ... not the man who looks on ... without himself sharing the stress and the danger."

Within a year, his fortunes had reversed and he was in bankruptcy proceedings, court records show.

Spink drew a different kind of attention on Jan. 12 when Border Patrol agents spotted him in a rented SUV in the Loomis National Forest in northcentral Washington state, an area "utilized by various groups to clandestinely smuggle narcotics through the border," federal investigators wrote.

He had a satellite telephone, "acted very nervous" and told the agents he was there for recreation, according to court documents.

Re: Oh dear dDog

I guess that would have been some party. Damn Dog, you may have done it now.
    "To the extreme I rock the mike like a vandal
    light up the stage and wax a chump like a candle"

www.TandemBASE.com

372 pounds worth an estimated $34 million.
    Not sure that you can exactly say thats for personal use................

I hope his animals are cared for nicely during all this...............

I wonder where they came up with $34 million? If you do the math that comes out to $211.00 per gram. Even in NYC that is mighty steep. Even at retail by the Oz it would be half that amount. Leave it to the cops to overstate the value jsut to make it sound better in the papers.

So what is the mandatory senencing for this? 10 years? 15?

Bummer.
    "To the extreme I rock the mike like a vandal
    light up the stage and wax a chump like a candle"

www.TandemBASE.com

The street value of drugs is well over stated in courts and media.

372 lbs = 168,736 grams = 168.7 kilos

$34,000,000 = £17,832,319

= £105 per gram.

Now the fact you have 372 lbs, then by the time it hits the street its going to be approx 50% pure from your original load (if your lucky), so then you have 168,736 grams becoming 337,472 grams and thus £52 per gram - which is more realistic.

The fact is that the more you buy, the more pure, and the more you save, and the media and the courts mess with the facts by putting the end value on drug hauls. Although you could argue the case that in the end that value will be spent on the drugs you have due to the fact of resell and cutting - I think it wrong, and they should report exactly what people pay for it as it will not shock the jury or the people around you that maybe effected by a mistake that you make.............
    Saying that, the quanities involved here are still setting you back some serious money - if your looking at around £10,000 to £16,000 per kilo of decent powder then you can imagine the seriousness of this offence........... I am sorry to think that he maybe doing some serious time over this..............

Again, I hope the dogs were ok.............
    Last edited by Mac; March 3rd, 2005 at 02:35 PM.

Tom Aiello

I've already started getting phone calls from reporters.

Everyone be aware that things you post here may end up in the newspapers.

see no evil
    hear no evil
    speak no evil..............

BuMMMMMMMMER

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Aiello
    I've already started getting phone calls from reporters.

Everyone be aware that things you post here may end up in the newspapers.
    Sage advice, Tom.

Doug is a colorful and often controversial figure on these boards but remember...he's a BASE jumper and therefore worth over 100 normal humans. BASE jumpers are brethren. They may be a red-headed half step child but they're still family and they should still come first.

Don't give the press any more ammo than they already have. It's a bitch to be a victim of sensationalism.

Sincerely,

Skin.

ManBird

I'll leave it at that online.

Fork And Spoon Operator ZegeunerLeben's Avatar

>>Anyone got an idea how many years he's looking at?
    Any chance of him getting out of it?
    Anything we can do to help him?

ManBird

Quote Originally Posted by Mac
    The street value of drugs is well over stated in courts and media.
    Totes. If that was coming to PDX, it's like 4 or 5 times overvalued. Even if it was cut like crazy, I couldn't see it getting valued at more than half their claim.

Maybe those are Canadian dollars.

ManBird

Anyone got an idea how many years he's looking at?
    10 - life if it's his first trafficking offense:

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/agency/penalties.htm

Hey....Skin
    "You Talkin to Me ?" (must be said with - best Robert Di Niro.. voice Impression)

He may be a BASE Jumper Skin
    ** I have much to tell. to anyone.... Happily **

You cant see me but at this moment I am Dancin the Jig and drinkin a Fat Tire Ale....
    because that was not HIS Money that was used in the DEAL... (someone's gona be angry.)...
    For a fact. He left Portland Penniless... for a FACT

Fact...D-Dog / bought a BASE rig off E-Bay one day right off AFF graduation told us, our Oregon BASE crew that he was going to make a jump if no one would take him.
    > For a FACT / at the time he claimed to be a Millionaire
    He was going through Bankruptsy in court.
    > Fact..D-dog sold us over 50.000 shares of ONTUS telecommunication stock.
    Pocketed the money from his Business Partners.
    > Fact..Questioned by police for out of state computer equipment theft.
    Many - Many Lies told to his BASE jump friends not just myself.

He is one of us BASE jumpers / Family, but...
    He is a Scam artist who Stole from his BASE FRIENDS / thousands of dollars...FACT

It's The best thing to happen to a Pathological Liar and Thief... and ..Drug fiend.
    One More Thing...
    Yes he will be barking like a Dog when they are selling His Ass in the Federal Penitentiary for Packs of Cigarettes....

Also: He will be Drug free for the first Time in YEARS...Cold Turkey.... In the Big-Fed.-Pen
    That will sure help his BASE jumping skills.

If you can come over to my House tonight... The BEER is on ME. all night.

..Ray

Is Doug in custody? I would have thought so based on the severity of the accusation (could you get bail for this?), yet the article is a little confusing. The article talks about reports of him acting suspiciously on the 12th of January yet the charges were reported (or brought?) "Wednesday". Also, he posted on a related forum on another Website a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Losli
    Hey....Skin
    "You Talkin to Me ?" (must be said with - best Robert Di Niro.. voice Impression)
    ..............................etc etc

If you can come over to my House tonight... The BEER is on ME. all night.

..Ray
    Oh well. Can't be right all the time, huh?

Worth a try.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast