Thread: Pin -vs- Velcro? Applications?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    321seeya

Pin -vs- Velcro? Applications?

What is the primary reason jumpers go from a velcro rig to a pinned rig? I have a chance to buy a velcro hummit (great deal I might add) but dont want to "out grow it" any time soon. Thanks for all of your help, and thanks for these forums!

sitflybaseboy

Re: Pin -vs- Velcro? Applications?

Most BASE jumpers like the pins. However, I still have a velcro rig that I flick regularly. On antennas that are tight on the inside, you have to be careful on the climb. You must be aware of your back rubbing against the antenna on the climb. However, I have never climbed an antenna with a pinned rig. I suppose that you would have to be careful with a pinned rig as well. I have also heard that velcro is not that great for terminal jumps.
    My thoughts are that if you are aware of the fact that you are in a velcro closed rig and the velcro is not worn out, you are ok. It is a more simple setup, and I am all for keeping it simple on BASE whenever possible. There are advantages and disadvantages to both kinds of rigs. The norm seems to be going to pinned closed, which I like also. I am not pro pinned closed or pro velcro closed . I just feel that it is important to know the pro and cons of whatever is on your back at the time you are jumping. I like both kinds still. I suppose you could compare it to a ripcord or a BOC in skydiving....both have advantages and disadvantages, but nowdays most skydivers jump BOC, even though ripcord is still a great way to go functionally. As long as you are aware of which you are wearing, either system functions properly.
    321CYA
    Sitflybaseboy

321seeya

Thanks for the response, Thats what I kinda guessed (About the terminal part anyway) but it ALWAYS good to get another opinion and see other views. Thanks again!

The main advantage to me, for people having inconsistant pack jobs (newbies / people just not able to pack) is that velcro has a consistant pull force whereas pins can be effected by the pack job and raise the pull force causing perhaps additional delay when not wanted. I have been happy to take my velcro from 200ft freefalls to 3000ft terminal. I have no preference really for the sort of jumps I do, but as said before both have advantages and disadvantages dependant on who you are and what sort of jumping you are into.

Just my phukq the euro £0.02's worth.........