Thread: Any opinion on the Hummit Base Rig?

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    321seeya

Any opinion on the Hummit Base Rig?

I am looking at a Hummit BASE rig, and was wondering if any one here had an opinion on it. It is hard to find any info on it online. Thanks!

Staff Member

Re: Any opinion on the Hummit Base Rig?

The toggle system was crap. premature brake releases common.
    take care,
    space

I once watched Dennis McGlynn analyze a Hummit for 6 hours. There were other factors involved though.....so this post probably wont help much

Spacey Tracey knows his stuff.
    Remember Spacey
    But what about the friction? --JU BD97
    good memories

321seeya

what were the findings of his inspection? I havent heard much about it bad or good. I have a chance to buy a hummit velcro rig with a MOJO. I need it as SOME **** HEAD stole my gear bag at WFFC. (Thanks!)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey whats up?

I think that you will find that the rig is as good as any generic velcro rig. The risers are separable from the rig and may or may not be original. I would take Space's advice and make sure that they are not original, or spend $50 and get new ones. The rig itself should be inspected, but so long as it has stiffened side flaps should be good to go.

YMMV
    "To the extreme I rock the mike like a vandal
    light up the stage and wax a chump like a candle"

www.TandemBASE.com

Cool Re: Any opinion on the Hummit Base Rig?

Quote Originally Posted by 321seeya
    what were the findings of his inspection? I havent heard much about it bad or good. I have a chance to buy a hummit velcro rig with a MOJO. I need it as SOME **** HEAD stole my gear bag at WFFC. (Thanks!)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry to hear you got your rig stolen....that sucks big time!

Keep in mind it was very late at night and Dennis was looking at it from the standpoint of being the manufacturer of the Vision rig (which I happen to like btw). He was basically pointing out why he liked his Vision design and workmanship better than the Hummit he was looking at. It was sort of a discovery process for him as he was just getting his hands on a Hummit for the first time. This "discovery process" was hilarious and went on and on for hours largely due to the "other factors" I mentioned.

I finally said, "OK... youve been going on about this rig for hours. Id jump it."

Its 4 flaps and a piece of velcro in your basic design, and I would jump one after inspecting it - BUT - I have never owned one so I cant comment on how it is. Also, I dont remember the risers (it was a long time ago) and have only seen a few Hummits without studying them in great detail since.

Sorry I cant help ya. My post was just in response to a funny memory that you reminded me of. You had to be there.

matt

I have owned and jumped (as well as my wife) two Hummit containers. We both liked it and never had any problems with it. They are not made anymore but there are still good ones left out there, hope your's is one. I didn't see that many differences between it and other generic containers including my current Reactor. The velcro on them was really tough and didn't let up even after about a hundred jumps. Something nice to keep in mind on low stuff.

321seeya

Thanks for all of your input. I will keep all of this in mind. The container looks practically new, and the canopy (Mojo 240) has less than 10 jumps on it. Look forward to seeing you all at bridge day.

DJ

Moe Viletto was notorious for doing what Johnny describes but Moe called it, "Rig Autopsies." He would purchase every new BASE rig to appear on the market (Skydiving rigs too) and pick them apart.

While it can be funny, and I heard Moe say, "What the F&#K were they thinking here," more than once, keep in mind no BASE jumper has ever been killed by a catastrophic failure of a BASE harness.

However, temper that with the fact that maybe the smaller design elements, like risers covers, coffin corners, and overall geometry has probably contributed to the demise of some people.

NickD
    BASE 194

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Quote Originally Posted by 321seeya
    I am looking at a Hummit BASE rig, and was wondering if any one here had an opinion on it. It is hard to find any info on it online. Thanks!

I own a hummit. Overall I like the rig, but as everyone else has said, it's four flaps and a piece of velcro. It has one neat addition that is nice for packing: velcro bits on the bottom corners of the lateral flaps that mate with bits on the bottom flap while closing. You can practically close it without the aid of the shrivel flap; the drawback is it doesn't bust open when the shrivel flap strips and so I believe that contributes to off-headings. Mine does have stiffeners on the side flaps. regardles... I use mine for water landings and stuff that isn't heading critical and for jumps I wouldn't take my primary rig on. I've intended to remove the velcro bits... good idea, but not without unintended consequences.

gardner

321seeya

Thanks for the insight, I will take a look at those pieces, and might have to get rid of them, as off heading openings on a cliff with few outs doesnt sound like a situation I want to be in . On average, how often does that rig open off heading, and with what canopy. Thanks! (edited for spelling)