Thread: Death by Base Jumping

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    lv4kiki

Death by Base Jumping

Is it possible for someone to base jump and die with no one around or no record that they were there base jumping? We have a friend that is missing. We received an anonymous phone call that he was base jumping and died and his friends panicked and ran. I guess my question, to be more specific is, Do you have to check in with anyone before you jump from anywhere? OR can you randomly find a place to jump where people might not know you are up there?

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Re: Death by Base Jumping

First, I'm terribly sorry for your loss, and the heartache you must feel, especially not knowing what happened or where your friend may be.

BASE jumping is unregulated. The only rules for jumping are what we as a loose-knit band of jumpers decide, and there are practically no hard-and-fast rules. The only enforcement of the general guidelines that most of us believe and follow is peer pressure. Getting BASE jumpers to organize has been compared to herding cats.

Most BASE jumpers recognize the dangers we face on every jump, the fact that we very well be injured or killed. That's why most jumpers make a plan in case the worst happens. Most (not all) jump with someone there at the jump site, either other jumpers or non-jumping ground crew. When we feel the need for a jump but no one we know wants to come, we often use a cell phone ground crew, such as calling someone and telling them where we will jump and when to expect an "all clear" call. Some of us even have the cell phone on during the jump.

But not everyone does this. I'd say that a number of us have at one time jumped completely solo, despite the danger.

Becasue our objects are often owned by someone else who would object to our borrowing altitude, we stay quiet about what we do. And some of us have had a lot of hurt come down on us because of getting caught (see discussions on jumping in Yosemite.) That's why some jumpers have decided that if they die on a jump, they want their friends to get away without the criminal record, confiscation of gear and thousands of dollars in fines. I'm guessing your friend had a similar pact.

Many people are now trying to find your friend. All I can advise is to have patience and let the investigation run. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss.

BASE 841
    Last edited by BASE841; January 23rd, 2006 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling correction

lv4kiki

Thank you so much for your response! It is helpful in gathering more information into the Base Jumping world. I knew nothing about it before this happened.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) Faber's Avatar

I guess the same thing dosnt happen 2 times in a row,so iŽd say your freind is ok,it were a hoax.
    Have Fun
    Faber

Being dead but not dead BASE #!
    Nominated by Spiderman...