Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 110' object

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

110' object

So I just found a 110' bridge about a 10 minute walk from my house. I'm toying with the idea of static-lining it after having seen a few videos of similar objects SL'ed with pretty reasonable canopy time. Does anybody on here have much experience with SL'ing "way low" objects? Is a SL/PCA a reliable/consistent enough method for such a stupid low jump, or do you guys think I should suck it up and D-bag it? Or should I just give up and take up knitting?

Re: 110' object

what gear are you using?
    what is your lowest S/L or PCA?
    how much do you weigh?
    etc?

before you do it I'll just throw out there that some S/L set-ups are better than others. So don't do anything in haste. If you got a d-bag then that's an idea.

SplatulaSponsoredAthlete lifewithoutanet's Avatar

Generally speaking--and this isn't a cheap shot at you--if you have to ask the question, you probably shouldn't be doing it. At least, you probably shouldn't be doing it that low, in my opinion. I suggest getting some experience off taller objects first. Oh...and fuck knitting, keep jumping.
    -C.

To add to what Collin said, basically you want to start at a safer altitude (another object) and work your way down slowly looking for consistency in your set-ups and methods; until you are the best person to answer your own question. Don't go busting yourself all up just because it's 10 minutes away.

may the force be with you

BLiNC Magazine Suporter
    but what do I know I'm only 16

SplatulaSponsoredAthlete lifewithoutanet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by packing_jarrett View Post
    Haven't even watched it, yet...but quoting the description...

"This is a, 34 meter 102 ft. BASE, TARD bridge jump, over wet sand. (jumper): Spence Bisley, Portland Oregon BASE.
    (Interesting info):
    This is also the same bridge that some dumb-ass did his first BASE jump at. After buying a BASE rig off, e-bay sight un-seen. He did a, Hand-held, pilot-chute, Free fall. He did not walk away, he was carried away. With many, many broken bones (he was a dumb-ass)."

Experience would have told this jumper that it was a bad idea. Of course, he has the experience now to make that distinction.

As for the jumper in this video... Based on the name and reputation, seems to me like he had plenty of experience to make an informed choice to TARD it.

-C.

Woaahh now, let me clarify some things. No, I'm not in a rush to do this jump. My theoretical plan is to do a couple of d-bag and SL jumps from an object that's a little taller and see how I feel with my current techniques. What I would like to know is if anybody out there has any 1st hand experience with jumps in this height range and can impart any "special" or "unconventional" or "stupidly obvious" techniques that might be useful to know in preparation for said jump I.E. somebody describe their technique for a stupid low SL (or other deployment method), and I can give it a wirl on a 150' or 300' or 1000' object to see how I feel about it.

The static line method that I would use would be a simple perlon cord tied around object, one "large" loop of 80 lb break tape, one "small" loop, both connected to the perlon anchor and to a quick link, quick link attached to the end of my bridle, 48" PC (for what its worth) also on the end of the bridle. I would consider tying a knot about half way down my bridle and connecting my SL there as well, but would like input on that thechnique from others as this seems like a good way to harm my bridle. So if anybody was wondering, yes, I know how to SL.

My gear would either be a troll dw 245 mdv or a zp blackjack 260 in any of a variety of containers that I have access to. I feel better about using a troll because of the shorter lines. I weigh about 165lbs. my previous lowest is a Sl from 170' (yeah, I know, not very low).

The reason I think that there may be more to know about this is the fact that there is a plethora of techniques for just about any other kind of jump I.E. terminal, subterminal slider up, slider down, sub 200' FF etc., but my knowledge of these way-low jumps is pretty limited. I've only done a handful under 200'.

so anyways, can anybody help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by packing_jarrett View Post
    For those that don't know Spence.
    Spence is highly skilled at doing TARDs.
    He does the best TARD I've ever seen.
    He had been doing them off low objects for years before he did that bridge.
    He worked his way down to that height.

My opinion is that the risks increase dramatically when you move down from 150 feet to the 100 foot area. But heck I watched 9lives PCA from a fire truck ladder at approximately 75 feet. Well it was actually a shrivel flap assist.
    http://www.johnnyutah.com/9lives.html

Freefall it bitch.
    Dr. Nick

Nitro Rigging

Shrivel flap assist! Johnny, thats exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. When you say "assist" I assume the other guy on the ladder was physically holding to the shrivel flap, not some kind of static line or anything, right?

Quote Originally Posted by puddin taine View Post
    Woaahh now, let me clarify some things. No, I'm not in a rush to do this jump. My theoretical plan is to do a couple of d-bag and SL jumps from an object that's a little taller and see how I feel with my current techniques. What I would like to know is if anybody out there has any 1st hand experience with jumps in this height range and can impart any "special" or "unconventional" or "stupidly obvious" techniques that might be useful to know in preparation for said jump I.E. somebody describe their technique for a stupid low SL (or other deployment method), and I can give it a wirl on a 150' or 300' or 1000' object to see how I feel about it.

The static line method that I would use would be a simple perlon cord tied around object, one "large" loop of 80 lb break tape, one "small" loop, both connected to the perlon anchor and to a quick link, quick link attached to the end of my bridle, 48" PC (for what its worth) also on the end of the bridle. I would consider tying a knot about half way down my bridle and connecting my SL there as well, but would like input on that thechnique from others as this seems like a good way to harm my bridle. So if anybody was wondering, yes, I know how to SL.

My gear would either be a troll dw 245 mdv or a zp blackjack 260 in any of a variety of containers that I have access to. I feel better about using a troll because of the shorter lines. I weigh about 165lbs. my previous lowest is a Sl from 170' (yeah, I know, not very low).

The reason I think that there may be more to know about this is the fact that there is a plethora of techniques for just about any other kind of jump I.E. terminal, subterminal slider up, slider down, sub 200' FF etc., but my knowledge of these way-low jumps is pretty limited. I've only done a handful under 200'.

so anyways, can anybody help me out?
    I don't think break cord is going to harm your bridle. I tie it through the end of the bridle all the time. I could be wrong though, but I've never noticed damage to the bridle from the break cord. Maybe someone else has seen that happen and can post about it. About the technique you mentioned: Testing a S/L set-up with a loop halfway down the bridle using 80 pound break cord at that point and a back up break cord at the end of the bridle. I like the idea of attaching half way down the bridle because there would be less chance of a premature break. Since you wont fall as far before the weight of your canopy loads it, the initial force put on the break cord would be less. I would also test out using a second (longer) back up break cord at the end of the bridle like you mentioned. Just be sure that the 2 break cord lengths at the end of the bridle are significantly different. If you do that then you'll have 3 break cords, all loading and breaking one after the other and not together. Has anyone on here tried it with 3 like that? Since it's still only the 80 pound break cord each time, I wouldn't think it would damage the bridle attachment point on the canopy. Anyone else have any thoughts on that.

If you have a good d-bag setup, compare the openings against your S/L set-up and see what you think. Maybe you'll decide a d-bag is the way to go for a 110 risking it all for nothing situation.

do a search on here for "break cord" and "d-bag" and "s/l" etc. Lots to read.

Quote Originally Posted by puddin taine View Post
    Shrivel flap assist! Johnny, thats exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. When you say "assist" I assume the other guy on the ladder was physically holding to the shrivel flap, not some kind of static line or anything, right?
    I was holding the shrivel flap and I held it with all my might. My hand was numb for a while afterwards. No static line, just me holding the shrivel flap folded in half so both ends exited my hand out the bottom of my grip.

Dude don't do it... who are you gonna get to hold your shrivel flap and do you really trust them that much?

So there I was...

Johnny has a good point regarding shrivel flap assist. While it might get you flying quicker, one slip, with no backup, and it's over. The TARD Spence did looks really cool and easy, but again it's not always perfect. Hold it a little too long or lines snag your hand the outcome will be different. 100' is just under three seconds to impact. I've jumped 100-110' into water several times with no canopy and there is no time to deal with any situation other than impact.

Kiting it would probably be the safest and a rollover with a slight head wind would probably be my second choice. Both of these you have an almost flying canopy before you leave the exit point. Then you can deal with the landing without the risk of a mal and you'l also have a pretty good idea of how much room you have for error.

All really good info. Thanks Johnny.

80 lb break tape, they make tape is that from para-gear ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast