Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100' bridge jump...blast from the past

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

Re: 100' bridge jump...blast from the past

Hey 2Cats, I sent you an email via this board..... not sure if that function works, so let me know....

Cheers

Michael

Yup....got yr msg. What'sup ?
    2Cats

Quote Originally Posted by airdog07 View Post
    nice post 2cat now if you can up load the pdf file we all appreciate it.
    OK...I've FTP'd all the files to Mick Knutson. It's now down to him to put these up on a BLiNC archive somewhere. If there are any missing issues then it would be really nice if someone else from the early days could make the effort & fill in the gaps.

I've asked Mick *not* to put up TFOJ until Nick D'G has given his OK. Don't worry....there's one heck of a lot of other reading material & pictures of the early BASE days, right from the beginnings of Carl Boenish's original BASE concept. Plenty to trawl through for now while waiting for all TFOJ issues. I don't expect Nick will remain protective of TFOJ copyright once all the other stuff is up there.

I never got to see any copies of the "BASE Gazette". Does anyone have copies they could scan into PDf and post ?
    Pretty please ???

2Cats
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome! Dude, thanks a lot. Really looking forward to seeing this stuff

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) avenfoto's Avatar

anyone know anything about the "static line total" mentioned in the last paragraph of that write-up? 250' is a lond way down with no canopy... -b

Unhappy Re: 100' bridge jump...blast from the past

Quote Originally Posted by avenfoto View Post
    anyone know anything about the "static line total" mentioned in the last paragraph of that write-up? 250' is a lond way down with no canopy... -b
    Static line using break tie was not a really good idea. But no one knew better in the early days. This was how we put beginners out of the plane & so why not use a similar system for a low BASE jump ?

All the incidents in the write up ended OK...just. 2 other jumps didn't. See incident reports from Jump!...attached. Both impacted. 1 died.

2Cats.

BLiNC Magazine Founder mknutson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

working on posting the pdf's now. We will announce when they are up for all.

Quote Originally Posted by mknutson View Post
    working on posting the pdf's now. We will announce when they are up for all.
    Mick,

How are you progressing with all the old BASE mags and articles I sent you ?

Any idea of when you might start to put these up for all to see ??

2Cats

Still nothing posted anywhere...??

Anything happening, Mick ??

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cats View Post
    Mick,

How are you progressing with all the old BASE mags and articles I sent you ?

Any idea of when you might start to put these up for all to see ??

2Cats

I'll take a guess as to what's happening.

Unlike you, Mick actually knows Jean Boenish, Phil Smith, Andy Calistrate, and me. And also unlike you, he's seeking permission from the above people to reproduce their work.

It's not about laws and copyrights, as that obviously means little in BASE, it's about respect . . .

NickD

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cats View Post
    Still nothing posted anywhere...??

Anything happening, Mick ??
    Well I for one have a lot of respect for you 2cats just from your posts here. I think the bridge jump you did is super bad-ass. I started jumping in 1984 on rounds in the Utah desert so I've seen a fair bit through the years and from all the crazyness I've seen through the years, doing a 100 foot jump back in 1986 is really ballsy... especially on your first BASE jump. Much respect bro.

I think it is a very kind gesture for you to want to share these old publications with a new younger community and you come across very humble. The posts you have made in this thread recounting old BASE jumps from back in your day are some of the best writings of BASE history I have every read. Thank you for that genuine look back in time through your memory.

So many articles from so many sources have been posted online through the years in many different web locations. Naturally the collection of articles you have are fine to post. No big deal.

The issues if BASE mag were posted online on a high traffic skydiving forum (dz.com) a couple years back for everyone to download and I didn't read any complaints about that; so my guess is that since that has already been made public that Jean Boenish wouldn't mind any more than when the moderator of the dz.com permitted it.

I honestly can't imagine that Phil Smith or Andy C. would mind people taking another look at any publications they put out so many years ago and you originally posted about this 1 month ago and they haven't opposed the idea so I personally think it would be good for the BASE community to have access to these fascinating articles. Blinc has a rich history that goes back longer than any other active BASE forum so where better a place to host such cool BASE history.

These jumpers didn't publish these works for money, they did it from passion for the sport of jumping from fixed objects. They don't continue to try to make a name for themselves on the internet or elsewhere in the BASE world. They have seated into their respected places in BASE history and having their works of younger years read and admired only brings more life to their memory.

As far as TFOJ, Nick D has responded here and has probably answered for himself to Mick, but I can't imagine that he would want to hide away something like BASE magazines from so many years ago. But maybe that is his position and though it would seem strange, so be it if that is the case.
    Last edited by Johnny Utah; August 1st, 2008 at 04:10 PM.

Here is a 75 foot ladder-truck jump performed by Johnny "9-lives" Anderson in New Jersey 2003. I did a shrivel-flap assist for him and his canopy started flying before he landed in waist deep water. It was one of the sickest jumps I have ever witnessed. Very unique as well.

Those are some really kind words, Johnny. I am not sure I did so much to deserve them. The 100 foot bridge didn't seem like such a big deal at the time. It was all we had, locally. We had to go halfway across the country to get a 230 foot bridge ...! I was the third one to jump this bridge and had the confidence of knowing that two friends before me had survived. My canopy was the only one to open quickly enough to give time to get the brakes off and flare on landing (sort of)

The one thing that sticks in my mind to this day wasn't the jump itself. It was standing on the edge and going through a countdown. Nobody had told us to go "3-2-1 C'ya" quickly and then just jump. Without really thinking about it, I started my countdown from 10, just like a rocket launch! By the time I got down to "five", it seemed like such a loooong time... with several spectators waiting expectantly. By the time I got to "three", I had nearly changed my mind. By the time I got to "one", I felt pretty stupid about the whole countdown thing and just wanted to get on with it ! Don't ever count down from 10... I still smile when I think about this today.

I think that NickDG is absolutely right about respect. TFOJ was always his "baby" and I for one wouldn't want to act without respect and then seek forgiveness afterwards. That's why I asked for Moderator guidance in the first place. Of course I knew that Nick was on this forum and this gave him the opportunity to express his wishes. Nick hasn't in fact said "no" to seeing all the old copies of TFOJ archived here. Let him speak and act for himself in due course.

Anyway, I hope that all this early material will be made available on BLiNC in the fullness of time. There's a lot of good reading stuff there .

Take care everyone with the stuff you're doing now. There's no "action replay" if it goes wrong.

2Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    Well I for one have a lot of respect for you 2cats just from your posts here. I think the bridge jump you did is super bad-ass. I started jumping in 1984 on rounds in the Utah desert so I've seen a fair bit through the years and from all the crazyness I've seen through the years, doing a 100 foot jump back in 1986 is really ballsy... especially on your first BASE jump. Much respect bro.

I think it is a very kind gesture for you to want to share these old publications with a new younger community and you come across very humble. The posts you have made in this thread recounting old BASE jumps from back in your day are some of the best writings of BASE history I have every read. Thank you for that genuine look back in time through your memory.

So many articles from so many sources have been posted online through the years in many different web locations. Naturally the collection of articles you have are fine to post. No big deal.

The issues if BASE mag were posted online on a high traffic skydiving forum (dz.com) a couple years back for everyone to download and I didn't read any complaints about that; so my guess is that since that has already been made public that Jean Boenish wouldn't mind any more than when the moderator of the dz.com permitted it.

I honestly can't imagine that Phil Smith or Andy C. would mind people taking another look at any publications they put out so many years ago and you originally posted about this 1 month ago and they haven't opposed the idea so I personally think it would be good for the BASE community to have access to these fascinating articles. Blinc has a rich history that goes back longer than any other active BASE forum so where better a place to host such cool BASE history.

These jumpers didn't publish these works for money, they did it from passion for the sport of jumping from fixed objects. They don't continue to try to make a name for themselves on the internet or elsewhere in the BASE world. They have seated into their respected places in BASE history and having their works of younger years read and admired only brings more life to their memory.

As far as TFOJ, Nick D has responded here and has probably answered for himself to Mick, but I can't imagine that he would want to hide away something like BASE magazines from so many years ago. But maybe that is his position and though it would seem strange, so be it if that is the case.

Just looking through the British "Skydive-The Mag" today and came across a 1/4 page article about 'UK Pro BASE'.

Back in the 1980s the BPA vowed to give an automatic lifetime ban to any member who carries out an unapproved BASE jump. Of course no BASE jump would be approved... and so this meant every BASE jump !

I'm just reading a clip from 1982 Sport Parachutist from amongst some of the material discussed in this thread to be archived on BLiNC. It says

"Council then reiterated its earlier views that should any BPA member be found to be involved in BASE jumping not specifically approved by the Association then they would automatically have their membership to the British Parachute Association revoked for life"

Hard to believe how times have changed.

2Cats

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12