Thread: Purchasing Gear

1. Header
  2. Header-58

If this is your first visit, start by reading the following…

Awake

Purchasing Gear

Hey everyone

I am looking for a bit of advice regarding new gear,

I'm currently looking at ordering my first sets of gear, I have talked to my mentor, Morpheus, Apex, Asylum etc etc to get as many opinions as possible. Through all my research and discussions I have decided to purchase 2 rigs, one for higher altitudes and for lower jumps.
    Being in Australia our objects are not big and as a result I believe specific tools for the jobs are the best option.

Low altitude rig:- For this rig I want an OSP canopy as from all my research I have found this in my opinion to be the best suited canopy for our conditions.
    I am still undecided though in regards to the container. I am currently debating between the Apex DP, Morpheus Helium or Gargoyle. I have seen both the Helium and Gargoyle first hand and like the way they are constructed but never a DP.

Rig 2:- For this rig as it is specifically for higher jumps I was thinking something a long the lines of a Razor but am currently unsure about a canopy. My thoughts behind this are I would have a low profile container which would be great for tracking, future wingsuiting etc but i like the idea of having a vented canopy.
    The Trango cannot be vented but something along the lines of the Flik ultralight has crossed my mind if it is possible / available.
    Kathy from Morpheus suggested the troll / razor combination but I do not feel comfortable with the idea of an unvented canopy. I have no personal jumping experience with or without vents but through a few years of studying, watching videos (cliff strikes etc) unless given some solid reasons against them I would not jump a canopy without them. This rig will specifically be for jumping holidays, Norway, Italy, Switzerland etc where most of the objects are cliffs and I can see very solid merit in having vents in the event of a cliff strike.

Sorry for the long question list but this is only a fraction of what is running through my head as I have a tendency to break everything down as much as possible before making a decision.
    I appreciate your help, time and effort.
    Thanks

Re: Purchasing Gear

this sounds awefully complex. Complex things have way too many things that can go wrong. KISS.

My suggestions is to learn one set of gear. Any vented canopy is good enough for beginner objects. Hell, most unvented ones will be fine. Once you get you jumps in, and figure out what's what, then it's time to buy the latest and greatest and most expensive things. Majority of todays jumps are still done on conventional (not specialized like Trango/OSP) gear. So far so good.

Of course, for a more in-depth explanation you may want to send a Private Message to username Sangi on basejumper.com
    Last edited by vid666; October 6th, 2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Abbie is gay

Awake

Quote Originally Posted by vid666 View Post
    this sounds awefully complex. Complex things have way too many things that can go wrong. KISS.

My suggestions is to learn one set of gear. Any vented canopy is good enough for beginner objects. Hell, most unvented ones will be fine. Once you get you jumps in, and figure out what's what, then it's time to buy the latest and greatest and most expensive things. Majority of todays jumps are still done on conventional (not specialized like Trango/OSP) gear. So far so good.

Of course, for a more in-depth explanation you may want to send a Private Message to username Sangi on basejumper.com
    ahahaha i may need to ask Sangi after all. Nice to be on a proper base forum though, even as a lurker im done with the other site.

I agree with you 100% in regards to KISS.
    The main reason i have ended up down this path is due to the OSP.
    I am heading Norway next year for a few weeks and dont believe an OSP would be a good choice for 3 weeks of terminal jumping.
    The obvious option at this point it forget the OSP and head down another path entirely.

gravity brings me down Uberchris's Avatar
    Blog Entries

im hoping that after bridge day theres gonna be alot of people unloading alot of gear? is this a safe assumption?

Awake

Sounds like a solid assumption to me...

I have an itch for new gear though, my skydiving rigs have always been second hand and I would love something that fits perfectly for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberchris View Post
    im hoping that after bridge day theres gonna be alot of people unloading alot of gear? is this a safe assumption?
    yeah, safe assumption. I got about 6 I will be unloading. But I can sell any one of them to you now if you wish

SplatulaSponsoredAthlete lifewithoutanet's Avatar

My advice... You don't really have a ton of knowledge about BASE gear at the moment. Pick up one container, one canopy and an assortment of PCs. Jump for a while and then figure out what you want, need and like after putting some jumps on your system and maybe some demos. Then spend the extra money on a second rig.
    -C.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

This is just a question from a curious person,

quote: I have no personal jumping experience with or without vents but through a few years of studying, watching videos (cliff strikes etc) unless given some solid reasons against them I would not jump a canopy without them

I'm wondering which skydiving canopy you've been jumping with.

Hello Members,

Gear is important and purchasing it deserves the planter's full attention. While gear might seem mundane, God uses gear to help people find their way back to him and if you are not wise in your purchase and overspend you could jeopardize the financial viability of your plant. Seriously, don't bother about buying equipment until you have done the hard work of hammering out a budget. You will spend much more than you can afford without a budget. There is no rule that says you need new stuff. Free is as well. You should create a map of the space and measure it to ensure your gear fits the space. Ensure signs are not too tall or too short, tables are too long enough, lens of your project has enough distance to the screen etc.

Best Regards,
    Anthony Martello
    xkglow.com

if you take a FJC, you will know what kind of equipment you need, learn abut BASE jumping first than wary abut getting a gear.