Thread: Weird JFK Pilot Chute

1. Header
  2. Header-73

BASE jumping is a highly dangerous sport that can severely injure and kill participants. It may kill you. The moderators of BLiNC do not recommend BASE jumping to anybody!

Read the BASE fatality list and the Fatality Statistics page and think long and hard before making a BASE jump.

@see Wiki category Problems to learn about how to handle issues that can occur while BASE Jumping.

Weird JFK Pilot Chute

I just wanted to post these pictures so that we can learn from them. I jumped at YO and pulled at about 6 seconds with a 36" PC. Manufacturer suggests 38" PC w/ 4-7 seconds and 32" for terminal jumps. On heading opening, but immediately after releasing the brakes I started an uncommanded left turn. This turn continued even with full right toggle input. After wrapping my toggle around my hand I was able to turn back to the right...but somewhere on deployment my PC had flown in front of my parachute and become snagged on my left Stabilizer. If anyone has any input into possible causes, I'm all ears. About the best I can figure so far is a handle that is too heavy...still seems like it would be a bit much to assume it was the size of the PC. I took this picture immediately after landing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Staff Member

Re: Weird JFK Pilot Chute

Normally this is caused by having the brakes set too deep. Use shallower settings. Dial in the DBS.
    Take care,
    space