Thread: making plans for twin-'check list'

1. Header
  2. Header-58

If this is your first visit, start by reading the following…

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) extremewheelchairs's Avatar

making plans for twin-'check list'

I'm coming to twin and will definitely be there by Memorial Day (caveat: assuming all thngs n life kep going such that I have a warm blooded body etc.)

I want to be there before Memorial Day because my friend GreenMachine told me he will be there then-and I want to have him there when I jump. (ooh it wont be the only jump I do-but perhaps the most important to me-GreenMachne's been supporting me, showing me things-long distance for a while now-and this will be our 1st time getting to jump together)

This is my check list of what I need to think of bringing:

*receive invitation to come-done
    * passport-done
    *bus ticket -or hope to find transportation from ON CAN
    *request a local to come get me from the bus-direct me to the right place to come to.

*pack with me:
    *my 'letter to friends and family and emergency contacts-which always is with my gear anyways-laminated copy-as well as my DNR (do not resuscitate order'-yah lets get the serious shit out of the way 1st-its most important in this sport)-done
    * ALL my BASE GEAR.-done (sort of-it always sits ready to go-unless I'm practicing something-even so simple as getting used to putting my gear on the best manner-remember im a gimp so the lower body doesn't work at all-just sort of gets in the way)
    *pack ALL my medical equipment-feeding pump, and bring CASES of the formula i need-to eat-so i wont run out because who knows if its available there-and how much$ (Jevity 1.2 or Jevity 1.5 is my perscription)
    thats going to be one of the biggest concerns-the stuff is so damn heav.'comes in boxes of 8 1000ml bottles'=8 days, if i plan to stay x# of weeks-i need x# of cases-
    maybe shipping some down to a local as a bus parcel ahead of time is the best option?
    what do you guys think?
    *bank card for extracting my disability pension $ to buy beer n patron for the locals.
    *some clothing.
    *tent, and hammock for the warmer days.
    *packing tools (or is it ok to use locals to help me with that. i pack in about 1 1/2 hrs right now-still learning the 'intircacies', and small details that make good sense-packing takes a ton of energy from me and basically i need to rest a good 2 hrs after packing-breathing isnt going to handle a jump too soon after packing-is it being an idiot if i ask for help?)
    * depending on how I got there, my laptop, and camera/video camera-ot that I can jump with them but regardless.

this is my 'sticking point' i really do not know what to do.

i have an electric chair-which is big and bulky-but helps me save previous energy for breathing when i use it-BUT I MUST bring my manual as well.'travelling by a vehicle-having a ride-the electric must stay @ home-whose got a wheelchair accessible van-or strength to lift the 170 lb chair in (its got 3 x50 lb deeply cycle batteries added to it-which we pulled out to get it here-laid it on it side in a friends SUV when i moved to the DZ but a_adds lots of weight and bulk).Furthermore its got a power charger needing to be plugged in nightly for the next days use?

IF I travel by bus, i could bring it, but then cant bring the manual-too much luggage.

so the option may be, take the bus with my electric-and IF there are Canadians going down anytime before or soon after me, i would request they bring the manual-it comes apart-is light weight titanium and not bulky in general terms-perhaps they could bring the other heavier things like boxes of food and tent?

questions:
    *should I bring my packing tools, or borrow some up there?

*please give me ideas about the chairs-after weighng out out the pro's and con's of each option?

*should I be bringing ALL my safety gear-meaning first aid kits etc, or just body armor and helmets?

*should I bring my skydiving pants, or my other pants which ive used for jumping with-where my legs dangle? they wont fit the protective gear under them-but the other pants do.
    -which are rigged up to have my legs lifted up for a 'butt slide' landing-although I've jumped plenty without the and just let the legs dangle-and since this is water landings

*-although i would like to eventually try to make a few jumps to land on the shore as well-is that a practical goal?

* Should I buy medical trip insurance? because it wont cover B.A.S.E. activities anyways (unless I tried to lie and say I fell off the bridge by accident-which would really be quite impossible to try to convince anyone of)
    * my new-never used pilot chute is 42" AVS series but my 'baffed' 1 is 46"
    should I buy a new 46" before coming?

*should I bring my electrical extension cords-if someone is willing to let me buy some hydro from them to plug in my feeding pum and my electric chair-if i end up bringing it?

*what else did I miss?

I HAD thought of doing like my friend John (www.extremechairing.com)
    asking some wheelchair companies to sponsor-in the sense that they'd offer to do repairs if needed, or lend a charger while there-but if i do that-i better ge on with it-and find the closest one to twin.

I've never asked for sponsorship-free gear, discounts etc. just not something I feel comfortable doing generally.
    although I know a paralyzed guy in Australia who watched my videos, talked to me, and a few others, and because dedicated to learning to dive (he had done 36+ skydives prior to paralysis and was a jump pilot for a long time) he went on national news for his 1st AFF, and subsequently requested gear companies to sponsor him=hes got complete new gear because of it-and is very 'publicity' oriented with his endeavors (like his 2st tracking dive he announced to the world 'fastest paraplegic on earth-not my style but good on Dale-he will go far with that approach i know)

please give me shit if you think i got shitty ideas-ive got tough enough skin to take it-id rather get the straight goods then pats on the back-this sport is not for pats on the back.
    "People living deeply have no fear of death."
    Anais Nin

Re: making plans for twin-'check list'

So are you doing your FJC at the bridge? Don't land by the shore, the water is cold as balls this time of year and theres lots of slick ice that can also screw you over.

I think it well be good to be at week of Memorial Day there well be lot's of jumper, they can help you with GreenMachine, what is the exact condition of your disability, is this your first time base, if it is land in the water well be the best, by memorial day it should not be too bad landing in water, Dan can pick you up in no time (do you need life vest ?), if I'm up there I well help you too, If you can take your manual wheel chair if you can, don't be shame to ask for sponsor they get advertisement out of it too. al

yup-want to be there when GreenMachine is-he knows me best of who will be there-that I know anyways

ALS is my disability-and prior a head injury resulting in some seriously 'drunken' walking with arm canes.

Now paralysis from navel downwards,
    no not my 1st-but my 1st S.

I jump my blackjack, and the Raven quite a bit (skydiving) hop n pops so have a fairly decent understanding of their performance.

I'd like to go for the shore-i believe i can-but certainly wont ever rule out the water,
    would like to stay-do a few jumps-after-hopefully GreenMachine can stay-but understand he's got work and a long drive.

I wont need a life vest-here we technically are close enough to the river=we should be using floatation devices-if anyone asks=we do-its our assses.

i'm fine in the water-will cut away immediately im not going down with my canopy if it comes to that.

Funny thing is, cold doesnt bother me.

Last weekend-there were only a few of us jumping
    -16C on the ground -26C at top floor and wind chill to booth.

full face helmet, and clothing to make you look like a ninja will work-were probly the only DZ in ontario jumping year round and I live 400f from the hangar-cant get too far from the gear locker.

Actually this weekend I'm preparing for a different type of 7 cell canopy jump-vintage gear-10 yrs ago someone jumped it last.
    Looks good=not baffed... better then my Raven actually.

Anyways yah the manual i can take it-its the distances of travel i worry about the most.

im fine with a certain amount but if my breathing is hindered then i wont jumo.

getting to the area to jump is fine but the days or racing marathons in my chair are over-gave it away.-the racing chair-hope it works stil.

anyways memorial weekend is what im aiming for-only because i really want to see GreenMachine. -and LOTS of jumpers....
    thanks for your thoughts-and hope to see you both there
    Anais Nin

Arrow Re: making plans for twin-'check list'

Hi Minna,

I know you have 200 skydives & 8 BASE jumps...

Where all of the BASE jumps from antennas?
    How did you deploy on those jumps? HH? PCA?

No, you do not need to buy a new PC.
    Definitely bring the 46 and the 42.

We will definitely need Don there with the boat!

On the plus side, there are many locals and visiting
    jumpers for the annual Memorial Weekend and most
    are really great people with big hearts so I am sure
    there will be lots of help.

As for the other things, umm, not sure

The best person to answer many of your handi-related
    questions would be a BMF named Russel, perhaps the
    Kosher Pimp could supply some contact information.
    ~Tom BASE1366
    www.Sky-Frogs.com
    BLiNC Team Member

hey Tom,

I got Russell's email just got to dig it up.
    before his wedding (june 08)we were going to get together, but 'no jumping' before the wedding was his rule-respect him-what ever he does

Yah they were all HH and all Antenna's.

I used to do a lot of climbing, and have as much rock climbing gear as clothing (well more=im not into clothing lol).. and i use military grapling hook to get a hold on places that i cant reach.
    intense, long drawn out process.
    what took a guy to climb 30min takes me 4 hrs +
    then toss all my climbing gear down in a bag before the jump-whose going to climb back up to get them (not me)

I might try to borrow a 46" from my buddy who is giving up his 1st A for a chance to come take photos of me jumpng that stratocloud this weekend... so long as we got altitude.

spent the whole day rigging up my own gear-switching the BJ out of my skydiving container to put my main in so this stratocloud is coming with risers only-smae job-hopefully some fellows at the DZ will give me a hand with it this weekend-i want to hang it up and check the lines-it is 10 yrs since someone jumped it but i trust my rigger-base jumper in his younger yrs-he would not send me up there with a baffed canopy-and i trust my reserve if all else goes to shit.

but back on topic....

ok -im still focussed on getting myself there when your there Tom...
    Anais Nin

Been a long time since I've visited this page-thread. The plans seem to always end up going sideways somehow..
    but I'm starting to just trust the process.
    This is just meant to go this way for some reason.

The movie Compass really helps me with this process, because I've had moments of discouragement thinking I will just never make it to where I'm going.. and the I drag myself out of that gutter and start my plans again.

This past winter I spent 7 wks on an adventure in FL jumping when I could, and just working getting myself ready to be self sufficient living off what I can, where I can, how I can, dealing with flooded tents, etc.-just taking care of all aspects of my life.
    Being in a wheelchair and with this illness, has some special medical needs that require attention, and I've had nurses help with these things in the past, unless I leave for a few days, a week or two at the most.

Yet for me to fulfill my 'destiny' in life, I need to be able to truly leave and close the door behind me... and move on as a nomadic student in the school of life.

The FL trip proved to me I can do it
    (although I had to return home to deal with some 'domestic' legal matters to secure my residence until I'm ready to just sell off what I do not need, and pack what I can carry, and finally manage to break free from these trappings that keep me tied down to this existence that is not right for me).

I did go to BD last year and thank all who were there to give me a helping hand to launch. It was a good experience and I got what I wanted- which was THAT bridge.... as it's why I went. I'm not fond of the media, spectators, crowds etc. which is why I won't go back again... it's done, I got that bridge, I saw it, did it - enough. I now can move on and leave WV New River Gorge alone...

This spring I began plans again to come out to Idaho after my BC trip (from there directly in fact).
    BC was great, despite the rain 18 out of the 21 days I was there...
    but I did get 2 nice jumps that I wanted to accomplish and that is why I went Although I had plans for more jumping but the weather kept me on the ground exploring areas I'd otherwise not have dedicated the time for.

Then health issues forced me back to Ontario again, before venturing across the border where I have no insurance.

Got new skydiving gear, and after 14 jumps on my new canopy, after a series of 'stupid hurts' errors, i pounded in. Compound tib. fib.fracture and tearing several tendons.

Luckily I'm not going to be trying to walk, as therapy for that could take me up to a year I was told. 2 plates and 17 screws later, I'm now accepting that I need to spent next winter jumping my ass off to regain canopy skills that I began working on in FL and had such a short time this spring dedicated to it.
    Before I can plan to go to Idaho for next spring/summer. Or jump off anything for that matter. It will have been way too long once I recover, to just get out there and start from where I left off.
    Backwards steps again... my own fault.

Learning the painful way, several important lessons about not ever procrastinating on ANYTHING in canopy sports was truly my biggest lesson in this summers accident.

I had issues with my gear- knee braces for skydiving and my newly modified pants that were made for me to be ABLE to pull my legs up so I wont land on one of my ankles- like I did...

I had to shorten my brake lines and stupidly procrastinated that as well, wrapping my toggles instead.

I did NOT dive my plan, which was a solo skydive from 9,500, but rather took up the offer of a fellow skydiver while in the plane to do a 2 way. That was our ONLY plan- he told me to get out and he will dive out after me. Which seemed 'OK' at that moment- (STUPID).

So out I went, and buddy shows up, grabs me and we start flying head down.
    This was fine, except had I PLANNED for it, I'd have set my Neptune to break off alt. for a head down dive out at 9.5 instead I had it set for my solo dive. So there we are holding a head down when my Neptune is screaming at 4 grand.

By the time I'm under canopy, with a long sniveling opening, I'm around 2,200f.
    Not enough time to deal with accommodating for my gear issues with my pants and knee braces
    (which were requiring me to do quite a bit of adjustments before I'm safe to land).

I'm now flying a semi elliptical at a wing loading of .9 instead of the square I flew with a wing loading of .5-.6 .
    Then we changed out landing zones this year for the 1st time and I was still getting accustomed to the new landing pattern set forth for the LZ designated for me
    (we separated the HP canopies and working tandems/video guys into one LZ the rest of us into another).

Combining all this, the accumulation of each 'stupid hurts' error I made in this one jump, I ended up with a summer healing my stupidity and lots of time to think about what I will do to help myself survive canopy sports.

It also gave me the time to dedicate to learning how to fly a helicopter and try my hand at jousting.
    My 1st helicopter lesson (15 minutes of flight) was last weekend. Certainly not an activity I will become licensed at, since I cant control the rudder- instructor always has to have that under control- I've no legs to even try learning that- and I have no $ to spend on learning how to fly helicopters. But it was a good connection to make, as now I have access to a helicopter to jump from when I feel the need to...

Some may wonder why I SHARE in detail the 'stupid hurts' mistakes I made in the skydiving accident I had , in this forum... I am not expecting sympathy- quite the contrary- I'm expecting to read exactly how stupid people think my choices were- which is fine... I know its coming... I share it so those of you who are NEW, STARTING TO JUMP, AND WRITE POSTS SUCH AS 'I GOT MY 100 SKYDIVES WHERE CAN I LEARN BASE'... CAN HOPEFULLY SEE THE MISTAKES I MADE- WHICH I DON'T THINK ARE THAT UNIQUE (to me only), AND LEARN, TO NOT FOLLOW SUIT... DO NOT DO AS I DID.
    Anais Nin

We all do stupid thing, but some get away with it and some don't, glad the "Compass" helped, hang in there it well get better.