Thread: land lounch from sand dune or hillside

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

land lounch from sand dune or hillside

I've not seen anything on using a base canape for hillside ,beach lounch's ? will they work? ground launch videos on y/tub make it look like a blast.

BLiNC Magazine Suporter

Re: land lounch from sand dune or hillside

just did this about a week ago in SLC.... got a couple scrapes and bruises from it though...

used a vented fox 245 on an absolutely random hill behind some farmers field.
    first attempt got me drug off the back side of the hill leading to a newly gashed warning label on my container :-p Now, one might think that would be when we decided we knew not what we were doing and walk away but instead we tried again but instead of my friends laughing and watching me get drug backwards held onto my main lift webs and pulled me down the front side of the hill.

So long story short it can be done but is far from the best platform for doing it.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

Ground launching was first done with big canopies. They work great. If you know how to ground launch a smaller canopy, your base canopy is easier. If you get drug around, you're doing it wrong

I like getting some input on this run and pop,down a hill ,most rigs i've seen on u/tub are skidiving rigs . being out around the Oregon surf a lot I'LL be giving the dune's a try with all my pad and helmet can't resist....

I have launched my BJ 260 from a large, steep mountain that worked out fine. Although I had to run a long way down the steep slope, it flew. The flight down was quite boring though. It's not as fast or nimble as my speed glider.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) Boeris's Avatar

Hey Surfer,
    Let me know if you want to check out a real speedwing or paraglider! I've never foot launched my BASE canopy but have plenty on my skydive rig in the past. I live near Portland and we go out to the beach or the Columbia Gorge all the time for fun or to do a course... Let me know if you're interested!

-Justin
    www.theflystyle.com