Thread: DC

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered
    gravity brings me down Uberchris's Avatar
    Blog Entries

DC

alright after digging around and searching old posts, ive concluded that for subterminal slider up jumps, ill be simply quartering my slider and setting it up there, with a primary stow in the tailpocket, and i will use masking tape like a regular tailgate

for terminal jumps ill be using direct control, with the same primary stow in the tailpocket, along with rolling the nose cells.

for all slider up jumps ill have WLOs and a large mesh slider

my question, in several parts, is:

do you use this same configuration?

for direct control, do you have a rubber band on your C line on each side, or just the right side of the canopy?

black or tan rubber band? how many wraps of rubber band, how many bites of slider?

do you have your rubberband(s) larksheaded directly to the line attachment point, or just below it?

im gathering peoples opinions like always, i appreciate your input.
    respectfully
    chris

Re: DC

a few points :

tan rubberband, cut in half.
    I bought a used setup from a gent who for ~~50 jumps used a black rubber band (you know, the ones that gave you multi hangups . THe slider looks domed now, as he stretched the material towards the apex.

I girth hitch the rubberband as high up as I can, ideally right at the top near the attachment point, but to the line.

obviously on one side only, unless you want to have a spare one ready to go

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver)

I use a technique that Pidge showed me back around when I 1st started. I've only done 20 jumps between 4-6 sec delay using this technique, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's worked so far. Pidge was using this same setup for terminal wingsuit jumps when he showed me.

Dunno if I'll be able to explain properly without pictures but here goes...

I've got 1/2 a tan rubber band girth hitched at the top of the same C line that has the finger trap for my tail gate.

Once everything's flaked and the slider's quartered, I gather the inner Cs, Ds and brake lines (call them the red lines for simplicity).

From there I pull the rubber band outwards and around both sides of the red lines so you've got a loop around coming them from either side.

I take the top several cm of slider mesh, put a couple twists in and fold half the twist it back on itself so I've got a kind of chunk of slider that I can wrap the 2 loops of rubber band around. The chunk ends up extending a couple cm above the rubber band.

The end result is that the red lines are wrapped by the rubber band as if they were in a tail gate and the rubber band is held in place by the little chunk of slider mesh acting kind of like a shear pin.

I like that it's a mix of a tail gate-like setup and also a soft form of direct control because I'm nowhere near terminal. Doesn't seem to take much for the slider to come out from the loops coz once 1 loop is free the other just falls away. If anything it probably needs a bit less tension than popping a tail gate with 2 wraps of a rubber band.

It's a bit fiddly to set when you're trying to control lines, a stretched rubber band and some slider, but that could just be my lack of practice.

BJ
    Last edited by runnit; June 10th, 2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: tidying up the explanation a bit

gravity brings me down Uberchris's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i can picture that perfectly, thats definitely something to trip on as its a combination of direct control and a tailgate. and point taken regarding the black rubber band paul. ill stay away from those things unless im in a fetish club in japan.

thanks for the input guys i appreciate it.
    anyone else use the same / similar techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by Uberchris View Post
    i can picture that perfectly, thats definitely something to trip on as its a combination of direct control and a tailgate. and point taken regarding the black rubber band paul. ill stay away from those things unless im in a fetish club in japan.

thanks for the input guys i appreciate it.
    anyone else use the same / similar techniques?

Chris.... call me. The more complicated the pack job the more black death you got coming your way. Were not building a rocketship to the moon.

Hey dude. Just curious if you meant black death by trying to do something just based on what you've read on the internet or if you know of some actual drama with that technique (in which case I'd be really keen to know!)

Quote Originally Posted by runnit View Post
    Hey dude. Just curious if you meant black death by trying to do something just based on what you've read on the internet or if you know of some actual drama with that technique (in which case I'd be really keen to know!)
    Dude.... show me a photo of what you're describing with your reefing method.

Because what you wrote IMHO is like a science project. KISS... Keep IT Simple Stupid

1/4 Slider, attach to center C at apex of slider with RB, and if you want from there use a "slider gate". DONE.

But again, I'd like to see a photo. I think the more complex the reefing is made the more problems can occur on opening...snivel, delay, LO, ect...

It'll be a while before I can get any photos on to a computer (a few weeks at least), but I'll try remember. I can't really see how this could cause any dramas, but I'm always keen to throw ideas around.

Opportunity to get some photos up came earlier than expected.

- 1.jpg just kind of shows the start point

- 2.jpg shows what I mean by stretching the rubber band either side of the red lines

- 3 and 4.jpg show the end result from slightly different angles

Like I said, don't see anything that can really cause any dramas, but I'm always keen for different ideas.

BJ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (163.7 KB, 24 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (165.5 KB, 26 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (129.7 KB, 23 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.JPG (169.2 KB, 25 views)