Thread: most BASElike currently available reserves

1. Header
  2. Header-58

If this is your first visit, start by reading the following…

Zephyr

most BASElike currently available reserves

I'm posting this question in this forum because I've already posted it on a skydiving page and only received a reply from one person. I want to base my decision on multiple sources.

Here's the plan, which is subject to change. When I purchase my first skydiving gear, hopefully by the end of the year, I plan on getting a container/harness with a BASE canopy, AAD, Skyhook, and a reserve. Which models of currently available reserves perform most like a BASE canopy? So far, the only answer I've received is the Optimum. Thanks.

Re: most BASElike currently available reserves

You are going in two directions
    At the same time...
    ~Tom BASE1366
    www.Sky-Frogs.com
    BLiNC Team Member

Zephyr

Tom,

I got the idea of skydiving a BASE canopy from reading the wiki, to include:

Skydiving BASE Canopy - BLiNC Magazine:: BASE jumping, Skydiving, and Paragliding

"In my honest opinion, if your goal in skydiving is ONLY to base jump, then focus on your goal 100%. That means GET A 7-CELL CANOPY similar to BASE..."

In all honesty, I wouldn't be real worried about whether my reserve canopy is "BASE-like" or not. If you find yourself under it, one of the last things you will find yourself thinking is, "wow, this flies just like my BASE canopy...". =;> If you are worried about how your reserve will fly, contact the manufacturer and see if they have a demo program that will allow you to put one of their reserves in and jump it as a main. I know PD does that.

I would make sure that your reserve is sized similar to what you are jumping as a main, that way if/when you find yourself under it, there will not be a drastic wingloading change.

You will find out though that people that get into skydiving just to get into BASE soon find out that skydiving is not just a portal activity. Skydiving also a very enjoyable sport and well worth participating in. I know many people that focus on BASE much more than on skydiving, but still really enjoy skydiving for what it is.

Zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by speedphreak View Post
    In all honesty, I wouldn't be real worried about whether my reserve canopy is "BASE-like" or not. If you find yourself under it, one of the last things you will find yourself thinking is, "wow, this flies just like my BASE canopy...". =;> If you are worried about how your reserve will fly, contact the manufacturer and see if they have a demo program that will allow you to put one of their reserves in and jump it as a main. I know PD does that.

I would make sure that your reserve is sized similar to what you are jumping as a main, that way if/when you find yourself under it, there will not be a drastic wingloading change.
    This is exactly why I posted the question. When I find myself under reserve, I don't want a drastic change. I want my reserve's performance to to be as close to my main (BASE) canopy as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by speedphreak View Post
    You will find out though that people that get into skydiving just to get into BASE soon find out that skydiving is not just a portal activity. Skydiving also a very enjoyable sport and well worth participating in. I know many people that focus on BASE much more than on skydiving, but still really enjoy skydiving for what it is.
    When I grow up, I want to be a wingsuit BASE jumper Thus I plan on learning how to skydive a wingsuit someday as well. I'll ask about demo programs. Thanks for your reply

BLiNC Magazine Founder mknutson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Tom,

I got the idea of skydiving a BASE canopy from reading the wiki, to include:

Skydiving BASE Canopy - BLiNC Magazine:: BASE jumping, Skydiving, and Paragliding

"In my honest opinion, if your goal in skydiving is ONLY to base jump, then focus on your goal 100%. That means GET A 7-CELL CANOPY similar to BASE..."
    SOLID Advice!!!!

That is what I did. I purchased a Raven II reserve setup as a main. Did about 200 wingsuit skydives on it. it was the best thing I ever did for BASE Training.

Zephyr

Thanks, Mick. Unfortunately, unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I haven't found any sites to order a Raven, Raven II, or Super Raven. The closest I've found is the Raven Dash M.

BLiNC Magazine Founder mknutson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Mick. Unfortunately, unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I haven't found any sites to order a Raven, Raven II, or Super Raven. The closest I've found is the Raven Dash M.
    Anyone have any other advice? I have really been out of the skydiving scene for a while and do not know what is available.

gravity brings me down Uberchris's Avatar
    Blog Entries

just keep checking basejumper.com, i have seen ads for several ravens in the past 2 months, and if you explain yourself to the seller, and that your intention is to use it as a MAIN in a skydive setup, and NOT base jump that bitch, you would probably score fat.

ive been out of the skydive scene for almost a year, because i spend my money on other shit. when i get my skydive setup at the end of the year, im getting a cheap rig thats airworthy, a used reserve and most DEFINITELY a raven as a main until i can afford a good skydive setup.

even if you buy a raven thats modded for BASE, you dont have to use the tailpocket. you can get a sail slider for it and a skydive PC. have the guys at your DZ help you out.

Zephyr

Thanks a lot for the tips

ShamWOW sponsored Ahole

Or you could use a base specific canopy as a skydiving main, preferably with a sail slider and the d-bag. That is if you don't mind landing last every time. Although with the recent surge in canopy collisions in skydiving that may be a good thing.
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate. There's some people you just can't reach."

Zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by stitch View Post
    Or you could use a base specific canopy as a skydiving main, preferably with a sail slider and the d-bag. That is if you don't mind landing last every time. Although with the recent surge in canopy collisions in skydiving that may be a good thing.
    Stitch, that's exactly what I meant in my original question:

...I plan on getting a container/harness with a BASE canopy, AAD, Skyhook, and a reserve.
    Everyone's been giving good tips though. Thanks.