Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designing a base jumping helmet for an assignment, need input.

1. Header
  2. Header-58

If this is your first visit, start by reading the following…

Designing a base jumping helmet for an assignment, need input.

I go to College for Creative Studies and was assigned the task of designing a helmet specifically for the base jumping sport. I'm seeking help from real people that participate in the incredibly thrilling sport of base jumping. Replies consisting of information valuable to designing a base jumping helmet would be useful in my process.

What are some positives/negatives of the helmets you all wear while performing a base jump?

What should be improved with the helmets?

Are full-face helmets preferred?

Why doesn't everyone wear a helmet when performing a jump?

What are the most important aspects to include in a base jumping helmet?

These are just general questions I came up with on the spot, but any information you can provide for my design process would be truly appreciated. You don't have to blatantly answer these questions, just post information that you think would help.

Also, i would like to know what types of helmets you all are currently jumping in; whats the best on the market right now?

If given some good information I can incorporate in my design, I would be happy to post sketches and ideation for some feedback.

Thank you all.

Drew.

Re: Designing a base jumping helmet for an assignment, need input.

I'd be more concerned about STDs while jumping than brain injuries so maybe a better task would be to design a condom just for filthy base jumpers.
    Dr. Nick

Nitro Rigging

wasatchrider

you should design a helmet that has a waterproof housing that fits a gopro it should be rounded so you bridal cannot wrap around it.

make sure the full face or open helmet has multi impact rating, most of the time when they have cliff strike you see them hitting the cliff two or three time or more, there is too many sky, snowboard or what ever helmet that is rated only for single impact( when they hit hard object they crack to disperse the force of impact) so when you hit a object again you well sustain brain trauma(some time death because of that), make sure the helmet is multiple impact rated.
    one thing abut skydiving helmet with Kevlar/ fiberglass with thin lining, all they do is it transmit the blunt force straight to your skull(blunt force trauma), but they sure look good. because it cost lot does not mean protection is up to par,.
    I love my protec helmets ace, and there is other that have multi impact protection too
    Last edited by airdog07; October 5th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.

If your going to build, to have enough space between the shell and skull to take disperse the energy . the material must be able to re-bound back to original form. after the impact. full face,open face is up to the person.

thanks for the useful information with the multi-impact rating. what do you think are other important areas to solve for?

Re: Designing a base jumping helmet

To answer your questions:

Helmets are worn to protect the head, hold a camera, and/or conceal identity.
    Some people choose golf... others BASE, wearing a helmet is also a decision.

FULL face helmets protect the face but are heavier and may slightly affect vision.
    OPEN face helmets are smaller/lighter but still provide some protection and use.

The ideal helmet would be light, strong, protective, and possibly have a built-in
    camera mount on the front to house a GoPro camera without any snag points.

I own 4 or 5 helmets but the one I use the most for BASE jumping is the Protec.
    It is light, impact rated, black, and was given to me by one of my students.

The "best" helmet on the market for BASE would probably be the full face for
    Paragliding, it is strong and relatively light with good vision but sells for $300+
    ~Tom BASE1366
    www.Sky-Frogs.com
    BLiNC Team Member

great information.

anybody willing to share a base jumping experience that i can build from and develop a story behind?

doesn't have to involve an injury, just need an intimate user experience i can gain empathy for and in turn, design around.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) angryelf's Avatar

The gopro snag free mount would be good, using d3O foam for the impact absorbing material would be good. Another neat feature would be a removable modular mandible protector (like on a MX helmet) (Because you want full face pro for slider down buildings, cliffs; but don't want the bulk/vis reduction/loss of cool points for other types of jumps). The biggest requirements are: IT works, IT's cheap, Light, Not bulky, Doesn't impede vision. Using d3O pretty much guarantees cheap is out of the question, but we can dream, right?

I use a Gath that has been highly modified. Without the visor there is zero frontal lobe protection, but that's the risk I take. Dream BASE specific helmet would be a Gath/Protec with multiple camera mounting points, removable jaw piece, better frontal lobe pro, removable chin cup for camera stability when I jump still cameras.

-Hope that helps confuse further

One time i was jumping a 450' urban Antenna on 11 am, fathers day
    My dad was watching from the little league field where my brother was playing baseball.
    i was so worried about my dad not watching me cause of my stupid little brother's baseball game, that i forgot to buckle the strap on my helmet.
    I jumped, and upon opening shock, the helmet kept falling to the parking lot below, coming to rest next to a pair of shoes. I landed next to my police interceptor, and got the hell out of there.
    So i went back by the parking lot 10 minutes later, and there were two REAL police interceptors, standing right by the base of the tower and my helmet.
    They were called obviously cause someone saw a parachute coming down from the tower. its funny they arrived , standing next to my skydiving helmet and a pair-o-shoes, but no parachutes.
    So, you should invent a helmet that beeps at you if you give an exit count and your strap isn't buckled. Too many jumpers aren't loved enough by their fathers and forget these minuscule things while jumping.

another time i forgot to buckle on a 750' building jump. at about 2 seconds freefall, i felt the helmet start shifting up. my thoughts were torn between 'rebuckle before opening' or 'hold a strap, open, then rebuckle'
    i chose the latter, cause i needed to open, but the beeping strap alarm could have saved me from thinking about helmets rather than falling next to a building.

anyways, hope i could help.

i like the idea of a alert system that notifies you when the helmet isn't properly prepared for a jump. i think that could be useful in incorporating into my design.

BLiNC Magazine Supporter (Silver) base570's Avatar

A helmet needs to have airflow holes so we don't get hot heads! Also needs to have openings around the ears so we can hear. d3o is optimal for multi-impact. Maybe a design like a wire cage so it's lightweight and open with d3o inside, has a removable jaw piece, crumple zones, small airbags, non-snag camera housings, something like a HANS device to help prevent neck/head injuries(HANS device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) when larger cameras are used, goggle attachment or visor, able to completely disassemble, fold or compress to be able to sneak into places without looking like you have a big ass helmet in your bag, etc, etc....

base570

A helmet needs to have airflow holes so we don't get hot heads! Also needs to have openings around the ears so we can hear. d3o is optimal for multi-impact. Maybe a design like a wire cage so it's lightweight and open with d3o inside, has a removable jaw piece, crumple zones, small airbags, non-snag camera housings, something like a HANS device to help prevent neck/head injuries(HANS device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) when larger cameras are used, goggle attachment or visor, able to completely disassemble, fold or compress to be able to sneak into places without looking like you have a big ass helmet in your bag, etc, etc....

--i put a lot of this information into my design, thanks a lot. now, i need to gain empathy towards the base jumping community on a consumer level. I understand that there aren't many exclusive base jumping helmets on the market that appeal to solely the sport, is there anything else i can add in order to build a story behind?

thanks for the help everyone.

right before you begin to take that leap off a cliff or edge of a building, what do you feel? what goes through your head at that exact moment? do you think of your family, friends, significant other, a special place you might visit, etc etc. i applaude you all on your courageous efforts when it comes to base jumping, seeing how it is such a dangerous yet, exhilarating activity. i need to understand how you all do this.

Pussy and weed.
    Dr. Nick

Nitro Rigging

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast