Thread: Big Sur Bixby Bridge Base Jumper Sentenced

1. Header
  2. Header-59

BLiNC Magazine, always served unfiltered

Big Sur Bixby Bridge Base Jumper Sentenced

Big Sur Bixby Bridge Base Jumper Sentenced - Central Coast News Story - KSBW The Central Coast

BIG SUR, Calif. -- A 47-year-old Aptos man who became a YouTube celebrity for his defiant base jump off Bixby Bridge in Big Sur was sentenced on Wednesday.

Steve Jester dodged jail time when a Monterey County judge decided that the base jumper will be placed on probation and must enter an alcohol rehab program.

The thrill seeker had faced up to three years in prison for his Dec. 8, 2010 stunt, which was recorded on video and uploaded to YouTube.

In the video, Jester ignores a California Highway Patrol officer's orders to step off the Bixby Bridge's ledge, jumps, does a mid-air flip, gleefully soars through the air with a rainbow parachute, and lands on the rugged beach below.

A jury found Jester guilty of four charges: threatening violence against a peace officer, driving under the influence of alcohol, possession of marijuana and disobeying peace officer orders.

But the jury found Jester not guilty of making threats of violence against the officer and his wife.

Jester is respected within the California base jumping and sky diving community, but his respect for law enforcement appears minimal in the YouTube video that recorded his jump.

Just as Jester began to climb up Bixby Bridge's ledge, CHP Officer Ben Grasmeck pulled up in his marked SUV.

"Don't even think about it, back up right now," Grasmeck ordered over his SUV's loud speaker.

"Oh, we're so busted," Jester said to his filming cameraman, but he continued preparing the parachute strapped to his body.

"I'm gonna do it anyway," Jester decided. "Here we go."

During his trial, Jester admitted he had been drinking before he drove to the bridge and jumped.

Likely because the entire incident was captured on video, it only took two days for the defense and prosecution to present their sides of the case and for the jury to complete their deliberations.

Re: Big Sur Bixby Bridge Base Jumper Sentenced

Rogue base jumper escapes jail term after leaping off bridge in front of police officer | Mail Online

"The experienced base jumper, who was under the influence of alcohol at the time of his jump, was also found guilty by a jury of four charges including violence against a police officer, driving under the influence, possession of marijuana and disobeying police officer orders."

he was charge with violence against a police officer WTF over.

"Oh, we're so busted," Jester said to his filming cameraman, but he continued preparing the parachute strapped to his body.

"I'm gonna do it anyway," Jester decided. "Here we go."
    I love to hear it. Classic old school BASE thinking. NEVER go to jail with a packed rig!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by airdog07 View Post
    he was charge with violence against a police officer WTF over.
    I had read a different article that said the "violence against a police officer" charge was dropped.

If you watch the video I did not seen no violence at all, so I was thinking where that "violence against a police officer " charge was filed in first place.

It's one of those "charges" they toss in so that you feel like you won something when you pay your lawyer to negotiate down to lesser charges.